Sports in Olympics.

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby RichardLFC1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:28 pm

Kharkaz - Have you ever played badminton? If you have you would know its not fairy tennis and requires a very high stamina level to be good at

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:53 pm

andy_g » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:09 am wrote:
Kenny Kan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:47 am wrote:
I'd be interested to read some of this, if you have any links?

Mind you, it's not as though it's the first  time this has happened is it, S. Africa didn't do much apart from relocate many of the shanti towns the poor lived in, in order to build stadiums, and Qatar's WC bid is hardly above board.

of course, as i mentioned, these kinds of goings on are endemic to any massive scale event like this anywhere in the world.

i don't have any specific links to give you, but there have been many stories over several newspapers and websites in the weeks and months leading up to the games. its shouldn't be too hard to dig out a few stories if you have the time. there was an excellent article in the guardian (of course) a couple of weeks back that gave a good overview of many of the less savoury aspects of the london olympics. issues in general included the over zealous protection of the official sponsors' brands, the ridiculous tax breaks offered to the official sponsors (many of whom are implicated in financial, environmental or human rights abuses), the siting of anti aircraft missiles on and close to residential property, curfew zones near the stadia, restrictions on freedom of movement and expression around london(one group of street theatre performers were arrested for 'criminal damage' after a few drops of green custard fell on the pavement during a performance that criticised the politics of the games), aggressive stances by police and private security firms towards people carrying out such dangerous acts and photographing the constructions sites, and so on, and so on, and so on.

i think that britain missed a great opportunity to make a bold statement about ethics and sustainability, which would have been a much more fitting context for the spectacle of the actual events and sportsmen and women, instead of more of the same extreme capitalism, political paranoia and ignorance of the needs and circumstances of the less fortunate.

and that really is my last word(s) on the whole issue.

That seems to me to be a very narrow basis on which to make such a sweeping conclusion about the ethical and enviromental credentials of the games.
LFC2007

Postby metalhead » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:26 pm

The Good Yank » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:40 pm wrote:Women's wrestling.  They should be wearing bikinis, and a sprinkler system should be involved somehow.

but they look like men :lookaround
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:12 pm

That's the good thing about the Olympics - there will be a sport for everyone to watch
Benny The Noon

Postby RichardLFC1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:17 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:12 pm wrote:That's the good thing about the Olympics - there will be a sport for everyone to watch

No they wont. Wheres your quote to prove it

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Benny The Noon

Postby RichardLFC1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:26 pm

I must be having some kind of de ja vu

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:27 pm

metalhead » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:26 am wrote:
The Good Yank » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:40 pm wrote:Women's wrestling.  They should be wearing bikinis, and a sprinkler system should be involved somehow.

but they look like men :lookaround

Dunno mate, I'm sure some of the heavier weight classes do, but the one match that was on today that I watched... Well, my suggestion would have made it better.  LOL.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:27 pm

I expect you must be used to failure in your life - it must be a daily occurrence
Benny The Noon

Postby RichardLFC1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:27 pm wrote:I expect you must be used to failure in your life - it must be a daily occurrence

Not really. I have a fantastic job where i work less then 30 hours per week and take home a little less then 600 at 22 thats good.

I have a lovely girlfriend and a Little 3 year old girl so nothing could be a failure for me

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:44 pm

RichardLFC1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:33 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:27 pm wrote:I expect you must be used to failure in your life - it must be a daily occurrence

Not really. I have a fantastic job where i work less then 30 hours per week and take home a little less then 600 at 22 thats good.

I have a lovely girlfriend and a Little 3 year old girl so nothing could be a failure for me

We have now just moved one step closer to everyone needing to post a pic of their equipment to see whose got the biggest willie.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:53 pm

The Good Yank » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:44 pm wrote:
RichardLFC1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:33 pm wrote:

We have now just moved one step closer to everyone needing to post a pic of their equipment to see whose got the biggest willie.

Be careful mate - he has just offered to meet me for a fight and he would buy me and my family apparently
Benny The Noon

Postby andy_g » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:15 pm

LFC2007 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:53 pm wrote:
Kenny Kan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:47 am wrote:
I'd be interested to read some of this, if you have any links?

Mind you, it's not as though it's the first  time this has happened is it, S. Africa didn't do much apart from relocate many of the shanti towns the poor lived in, in order to build stadiums, and Qatar's WC bid is hardly above board.

of course, as i mentioned, these kinds of goings on are endemic to any massive scale event like this anywhere in the world.

i don't have any specific links to give you, but there have been many stories over several newspapers and websites in the weeks and months leading up to the games. its shouldn't be too hard to dig out a few stories if you have the time. there was an excellent article in the guardian (of course) a couple of weeks back that gave a good overview of many of the less savoury aspects of the london olympics. issues in general included the over zealous protection of the official sponsors' brands, the ridiculous tax breaks offered to the official sponsors (many of whom are implicated in financial, environmental or human rights abuses), the siting of anti aircraft missiles on and close to residential property, curfew zones near the stadia, restrictions on freedom of movement and expression around london(one group of street theatre performers were arrested for 'criminal damage' after a few drops of green custard fell on the pavement during a performance that criticised the politics of the games), aggressive stances by police and private security firms towards people carrying out such dangerous acts and photographing the constructions sites, and so on, and so on, and so on.

i think that britain missed a great opportunity to make a bold statement about ethics and sustainability, which would have been a much more fitting context for the spectacle of the actual events and sportsmen and women, instead of more of the same extreme capitalism, political paranoia and ignorance of the needs and circumstances of the less fortunate.

That seems to me to be a very narrow basis on which to make such a sweeping conclusion about the ethical and enviromental credentials of the games.

whatchootalkinabout?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:36 pm

andy_g » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:15 pm wrote:
LFC2007 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:53 pm wrote:

whatchootalkinabout?

Benny The Noon

Postby andy_g » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:58 pm

thanks, benny. just in case anyone had missed the important and obvious cultural reference, like.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum