Saddam sentenced to death

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby red37 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:30 pm

Big Niall wrote:I wouldn't fancy my life in their hands.

unfortunately our lives already are m8

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:26 am

They should execute him as quickly as possible.

If he's imprisoned, they'll find themselves dealing with his followers hijacking planes and making threats to kill the passengers unless he's released. I'm surprised they haven't already tried to do that.

This "martyr" thing is overstated. He may be a martyr to his supporters, but honestly I think the greater Muslim world would be glad to see him dead. He's killed Muslims and has seen hostilities with two nearby Muslim nations.

He oppressed them too (thankfully) for decades too. Unfortunately when he was removed, it created a power vacuum that I do not believe the Coalition anticipated and the factions inside Iraq saw their chance to kill each other, thus leading to the de facto civil war Iraq faces today.

Other than partition, I see no way forward for Iraq.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:46 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:If he's imprisoned, they'll find themselves dealing with his followers hijacking planes and making threats to kill the passengers unless he's released. I'm surprised they haven't already tried to do that.

dont go putting ideas in their heads

:D
112-1077774096

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:59 am

I think Saddam has learnt his lesson , the death penalty is a bit harsh .A hefty fine and a return to his old job on a probationary basis would be more productive .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:06 am

woof woof ! wrote:I think Saddam has learnt his lesson , the death penalty is a bit harsh .A hefty fine and a return to his old job on a probationary basis would be more productive .

Being soft and lenient with mass murderers never works, he should be given an ASBO, just to make sure he never re-offends. Hard but fair ! :D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby mestiza » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:53 am

There was a drug smuggler here in Australia that got hanged last year for smuggling drugs into Singapore.  Now, I don't think that was a warranted sentence to be hanged.... Maybe alot of time behind bars, but certainly not hanged.  This despicable coward here is another story.... certainly no complaints for me.  He took alot of peoples lives, it's about time he got the punishment he deserves.  You take a person/s life, your life should be taken away from you in return.  In regards to hanging, I disagree with it, but this guy doesn't even deserve sympathy.  Don't give a rats how his life is taken away.
mestiza

Postby Woollyback » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:47 pm

LFC #1 wrote:He's right up there with the likes of Milosevic

i know savo was a bit sh*te for villa, but isn't hanging a bit harsh? :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:57 pm

:laugh: Wooly ya header-thats great !
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:01 pm

Maybe I am just in a controversial mood and I'm obviously no fan of the mustached one but in WW1 both sides used chemical weapons on each other, in WW2 both sides dropped bombs on civilian populations and killed loads. The British were flyers were told that if they can't find their proper targets to drop them on the population (Dresden etc) and the Germans bombed the F*** out of Britain too.  Add the yanks and their nukes on Japan and it is clear that every side targeted civilians. IN Vietnam the yanks used napalm against civilians.

Just trying to see where the line between that and Sadaam Hussein killing people from a group that tried to assassinate him.

Oh yeah, who supplied him with the chemical weapons? Rumsfield of course.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:05 pm

You'll get no arguement from me that Saddam deserves the death penalty: he does.

However, I'm simply questioning whether it is prudent to kill him, risking making him a martyr, which would be counter productive.

I was also disapointed with the trial. Saddam was convicted on one of his "lesser" crimes, and ironically, despite all of George W. Bush's rhethoric about how Saddam "gassed his own people" he wasn't tried for the gas attacks against the Kurds.

Is there such a rush to execute Saddam that we cannot wait another year or two to try him for his crimes against the Kurds or is it the case that it will suit certain people that Saddam is executed quickly and disposed of so that he can keep his mouth shut?  ???
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:46 pm

Big Niall wrote:Maybe I am just in a controversial mood and I'm obviously no fan of the mustached one but in WW1 both sides used chemical weapons on each other, in WW2 both sides dropped bombs on civilian populations and killed loads. The British were flyers were told that if they can't find their proper targets to drop them on the population (Dresden etc) and the Germans bombed the F*** out of Britain too.  Add the yanks and their nukes on Japan and it is clear that every side targeted civilians. IN Vietnam the yanks used napalm against civilians.

Just trying to see where the line between that and Sadaam Hussein killing people from a group that tried to assassinate him.

Oh yeah, who supplied him with the chemical weapons? Rumsfield of course.

So an assassination attack is balanced by mass genocide?

Hmmm...  ???

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:55 pm

If he came to the european human rights we could proabbaly find him a nice flat in croydon and hed probably get compensation as well.

And he wasnt the only one in charge, what about the hundreds of others? What about the usa who gave hmi the weapons used for the genocide in the first place?

hes not a scapegoat and he does deserve to die but so do so many others for what happened
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:05 pm

I was listening to one of his lawyers on the radio last night - he's that wacky British guy with the Italian name - who said, with great confidence, that notwithstanding the fact that Saddam got the death penalty, the penalty won't actually be carried out.

His point was that it is illegal to carry out the death penalty as apparently both Britian and Italy, who are signatories of the European Convention on Human Rights, gave assurances at the time of Saddam's capture that he would not be executed.

He said with great confidence that if his appeal before the Iraqi courts fails, Saddam will bring an appeal against Britain and Italy under the European Convention of Human Rights on the grouds that Britain and Italy's participation in Saddam's capture was in effect exposing Saddam to the death penalty and therefore contrary, according to Saddam, to the European Convention.

It is well established in European Human Rights law that a European country cannot extradict a criminal back to a country where they face the death sentence.

If Saddam goes down this road it will drag the thing on for years and make a mockery of Europe, but I doubt the Iraqis (and the Americans) will allow him to be sent to Europe for an appeal.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:41 pm

Maybe he will fall down some stairs, decide to kill himself, or be shot while trying to escape?  :cool:
account deleted by request

Postby shanks72 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:50 pm

I am against the death penalty too, without exception, and don't believe anyone has the right to take another person's life, not even the law itself.

Saddam is obviously guilty of his crimes, but I agree that making him suffer in this world is by far the more satisfying and 'safe' option.
Image Image

REST IN PEACE DRUMMERPHIL, YNWA

underneath are the everlasting arms
deuteronomy 33:27
shanks72
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum