Running/jogging

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby dawson99 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Sorry, running and jogging are gay... get a kebab and a cab
Last edited by dawson99 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:42 pm

dawson99 wrote:Sorry, I am gay... get me some lube and my leather mask

:oh:    :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:35 pm

Doing a load of pre-season training. Not to play in a team, but just to get the fitness. Last training season was running/sprinting up steep hills for an hour and a half solid. Crazy but very effective stuff.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:39 am

Dundalk wrote:
dawson99 wrote:Sorry, I am gay... get me some lube and my leather mask

:oh:    :D

:D
roberto green

Postby Dundalk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:33 pm

Going to do the Belfast Marathon (Barry is going to be on the side of the road with a big banner!!). Its in May so im going to start training for it on the 12th of December. Since Ive got back running a few weeks ago I made up my own 'get your ar$e fit again program' :D

So far so good and the other day I ran 10k in 41.54. I was in a bad state at the end but was happy with the time. In a town close to me last Sunday there was a 5k race on, or at least that what it said on the website. I though it was going to be a road race, when I got there it turned out to be a 6k cross country! Its was freezing cold and everyone else had spikes on. I just had my normal road running runners. Its was very tough with a lot of hills and it was very slippy but i came home in 21st place (out of about 35) in a time of 26.02 which all things considered I was happy with. I cant see myself doing cross county again though, didnt like it, I think ill stick to the roads.

The only thing putting me off at the moment is the weather, its freezing, I think the thoughts of going out are worse then anything, once you get out its not bad. So it will be on with the the running tights and hi viz jacket tonight for more punishment tonight.

Why do we do this again.......  :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:50 pm

Dundalk wrote:Going to do the Belfast Marathon (Barry is going to be on the side of the road with a big banner!!). Its in May so im going to start training for it on the 12th of December. Since Ive got back running a few weeks ago I made up my own 'get your ar$e fit again program' :D

So far so good and the other day I ran 10k in 41.54. I was in a bad state at the end but was happy with the time. In a town close to me last Sunday there was a 5k race on, or at least that what it said on the website. I though it was going to be a road race, when I got there it turned out to be a 6k cross country! Its was freezing cold and everyone else had spikes on. I just had my normal road running runners. Its was very tough with a lot of hills and it was very slippy but i came home in 21st place (out of about 35) in a time of 26.02 which all things considered I was happy with. I cant see myself doing cross county again though, didnt like it, I think ill stick to the roads.

The only thing putting me off at the moment is the weather, its freezing, I think the thoughts of going out are worse then anything, once you get out its not bad. So it will be on with the the running tights and hi viz jacket tonight for more punishment tonight.

Good luck with it mate.

I cant do any running at the moment as i have a slight tear in one of my stomach muscles  :(
Its doing my head in to be honest.

Never done anything like a marathon but would love to do it.
I have been running quite a bit this year and ended up losing about a stone and a half.
Only like 4-5 mile runs but twice a week and then playing football on a Saturday again, felt like i was getting fit.

Now am going to be back to square one.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Dundalk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:44 pm

How long to you think the stomach muscle will take to heal?

Doing a marathon isnt as big a deal as some think, if you can run for 10k then you can run a marathon. 10k is just about a quarter of a marathon and with the right training its possible. You do a 20 week program and each week you add a bit more distance to your long run and as the weeks go by its not long before you are running long distances without thinking of it as a big deal. The only thing is it takes up a lot of determination and time sacrifice. If you decide to do a marathon the training can take over your life for about 5 months but the feeling of completing it is great.

The most i ran in training was about 22 mile and on the day itself you have to run 26.2. But the crowd get you over the last few miles. You could do one in spring, which would involve training over the winter or get yourself in good knick and do one in the Autumn which would involve doing all your training during the summer and the long warmer days.

If you want to PM me your email address ill send you over the training program i followed. Its easy enough to follow and you do two small runs during the week, a long run on Saturday and another short recovery run on Sunday
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:05 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
Dundalk wrote:Going to do the Belfast Marathon (Barry is going to be on the side of the road with a big banner!!). Its in May so im going to start training for it on the 12th of December. Since Ive got back running a few weeks ago I made up my own 'get your ar$e fit again program' :D

Good luck with it mate.

I cant do any running at the moment as i have a slight tear in one of my stomach muscles  :(
Its doing my head in to be honest.

Never done anything like a marathon but would love to do it.
I have been running quite a bit this year and ended up losing about a stone and a half.
Only like 4-5 mile runs but twice a week and then playing football on a Saturday again, felt like i was getting fit.

Now am going to be back to square one.

In the same boat as you. I think I've cartilage damage on the outside of my left knee, or it could be a ligament tear. I never twisted it playing or anything, I can sort of run on it and the pain subsides, but once I stop the next day my knee locks up and walking on it for the next day or so is almost impossible. It takes roughly under a week for the pain to almost competely go away to the point where I think it's healed. I go out and do more training and same thing happens. Been repeating that pattern for about 3 weeks now. I've never been one for long distance running on a hard surface, so I think that's what's been causing it. Running about 7 miles on a road can't be good for the joints. I'm resting up for at least another week, then I'm sticking to grass.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:49 am

Dundalk wrote:How long to you think the stomach muscle will take to heal?

Doing a marathon isnt as big a deal as some think, if you can run for 10k then you can run a marathon. 10k is just about a quarter of a marathon and with the right training its possible. You do a 20 week program and each week you add a bit more distance to your long run and as the weeks go by its not long before you are running long distances without thinking of it as a big deal. The only thing is it takes up a lot of determination and time sacrifice. If you decide to do a marathon the training can take over your life for about 5 months but the feeling of completing it is great.

The most i ran in training was about 22 mile and on the day itself you have to run 26.2. But the crowd get you over the last few miles. You could do one in spring, which would involve training over the winter or get yourself in good knick and do one in the Autumn which would involve doing all your training during the summer and the long warmer days.

If you want to PM me your email address ill send you over the training program i followed. Its easy enough to follow and you do two small runs during the week, a long run on Saturday and another short recovery run on Sunday

I genuinely dont know.
The think is i am not in much pain at all. I have been to my doctor who just advised avoiding exercise where i might pull it further. He said that its only minor but exercising on it could lead to a hernia if i am not careful.
I will just have to wait and see really.
Earlier in the year i was gradually increasing the distances of my runs, but i only got to about 10 mile max i think.
When this gets sorted i will pm you mate, thanks  :)
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Dundalk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:53 am

Yeah better let it heal fully, i didnt do that last year and was out for about 8 months!

10 mile is a good distance to be running. If fit you could add to that no problem
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:02 pm

Dundalk wrote:So far so good and the other day I ran 10k in 41.54. I was in a bad state at the end but was happy with the time. In a town close to me last Sunday there was a 5k race on, or at least that what it said on the website. I though it was going to be a road race, when I got there it turned out to be a 6k cross country! Its was freezing cold and everyone else had spikes on. I just had my normal road running runners. Its was very tough with a lot of hills and it was very slippy but i came home in 21st place (out of about 35) in a time of 26.02 which all things considered I was happy with. I cant see myself doing cross county again though, didnt like it, I think ill stick to the roads.

Great times DD, you're obvioulsy as fit as héll already!

I cant run, I did an 8kms charity run the other week and I'm not gonna post my time....

I'll stick to my swimming, did 8kms a few months back which is the equivilent of running a marathon, I was completely shagged afterwards.

Good luck with your running mate.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:08 pm

Reg wrote:I'll stick to my swimming, did 8kms a few months back

:O  :O  :O

Holy $hit that some distance to swim Reg, I do about 2 lengths of the pool before collapsing in a heap!

Fair play  :bowdown
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:15 pm

Would love to do some running or something but i just can't quit smoking!
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:42 pm

Dundalk wrote:
Reg wrote:I'll stick to my swimming, did 8kms a few months back

:O  :O  :O

fortunately the shark that was chasing him only did 7.9

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:44 pm

jacdaniel wrote:Would love to do some running or something but i just can't quit smoking!

in my own life there is always a battle between smoking and running (or swimming). the times when i've been most successful in cutting down or out the fags is when i've got myself to go running regularly. it doesn't have to be long distances but doing 2 or 3 k  three times a week starts to have an effect. the flipside is that when i stop running for whatever reason i start smoking more again and that makes it harder to get back in to the running.

whatever happens, i'm convinced that for anyone truly committed to giving up smoking a regular aerobic excercise programme will really pay dividends.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum