Rememberance day - 11.11

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Roger Red Hat » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:45 pm

If this has been done on here already please delete this one.

Thought i'd just say a thank you to all the servicemen/women that fought for us in the 2nd World War, some of us will have lost grandparents during the war, some of us still have grandparents alive that can still remember the war.

A big thank you to you all - God Bless you.

Here's a few images ...

...and our thought go to those who are in conflict today.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:29 pm

Nice one, Lee. :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby dawson99 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:53 pm

nice touch mate :)
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:40 pm

those blokes were REAL men. they didn't need hair straighteners and audi tt's.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:16 pm

I worked at three separate Remembrance Ceremonies this morning and never will anyone feel more humble than at those..... The dignity showed by the old soldiers is outstanding and in this age where people moan about their lot all the time they are a real example. For the duration of one of the Ceremonies we stopped the trafic so that the readings could be heard (they were reading out the names of those who died from that Village) one guy got out of his car and asked me "if there was really any need to stop the traffic for this?" I only just managed to keep my cool and told him that it was because people died for their country that allowed him to sit in his nice car and drive to B&Q (or wherever) on a Sunday morning...... The ungrateful git got bacvk in his car saying he would complain to my bosses about me..... he's welcome to and next year we will stop the traffic again, it's the very least these heroes deserve....

"They shall not grow old as we who are left behind grow old, age shall not weary them nor the years condemn, at the going down of the Sun and in the morning, we will remember them"
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:27 pm

"

For The Fallen
    With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
    England mourns for her dead across the sea.
    Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
    Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
    Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
    There is music in the midst of desolation
    And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
    Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
    They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
    They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
    They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
    They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
    They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
    Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
    To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
    As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
    Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
    As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
    To the end, to the end, they remain."

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them."

11-11-11.

The Eleventh hour, of the Eleventh day, of the Eleventh Month.

Most people know what this signifies, and why it is such an important date in modern history, and synonymous with remembrance today. On the 11th November, 1918, Germany surrendered to the Allies, ending a global conflict spanning 4 years, 3 months and 14 days. Between 9-13 million lives were lost in what became the bloodiest war in human history.
It all began as a result of a series of disagreements (and agreements) between various nations. A mass of treaties were signed by the protagonists, creating two "Super Blocs" - Germany and Austro-Hungary on one side, and Britain, Russia and France on the other, each acting as the other's deterrent.

However, when Serbian terrorist group "The Black Hand" credited themselves with the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the heir to the Austrian throne, in Sarajevo on 28th June 1914, they set in motion a frightening series of events, culminating in Britain's declaration of war on Germany on 28th July 1914.

What followed redefined military conflict, and such brutality and hardship has, so far, never been peered.

Fast forward over 4 years, and , following a protracted stalemate, in which a naval blockade had rendered the Germans an isolated, starving nation, several German commanders signed the Armistice, agreeing that Germany would demilitarize effective immediately. This ended Germany's participation in the war.

Although fighting had stopped, the war did not technically end until 28th June 1919, when the Treaty of Versailles was signed by Germany and the allies. The strict terms forced Germany to accept full blame for the War, and ordered her to pay reparations to certain allies, as well as concessions in territory. It forbade the rearmament of Germany, limiting her to an army of no more than 100,000.

It is the harshness of these terms that is widely recognised as a main factor in how the Nazi's came to power in 1933, following a massive recession and hyper-inflation.

The first and Second World Wars were the most brutal conflicts in history. Millions of our forefathers died so that we might live in freedom.

Remember them.

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep,
though poppies grow
In Flanders fields."

Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:09 pm

Always a moving day. I hope it always retains its respect for those who fought in all conflicts.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kewell2Dominate » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:41 pm

I just got back from Canberra where i initially went down to get on the :censored: with a few old friends after finishing exams for the summer. When i found out it was rememberance day on the sunday i had to go to the service. So hungover as fook i trudged down to the war memorial and listened to the prime minister and notable others talk about the great war. As much as we hate the english in sport, as allies the Aus, NZ, English and others will also be respectful of each other. After going through the war memorial where i stayed for 6 hours i have never been more moved. Next time i see ronaldo fall down like he has been snipered and whinge like a bitch i will show him a few photos from 1914-1918.
Kewell2Dominate

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:25 am

We should never forget the actions of those who have undertaken acts of such bravery, and given their lives to preserve peace for future generations. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those who gave their lives for their country.

I've been on tours of the WWI battlefields in the past, from Vimy ridge to the Somme, to the Menin gate and Ypres . There are so many war graves, but what's even more tragic are the thousands upon thousands of names engraved upon memorials for whom no war grave can be found. Or, those who are simply unknown. The reality is almost beyond comprehension. Only once you have visited these places can you begin to comprehend the scale of what actually happened. It's something everyone should do once in their lives, without question.

We will remember them.
LFC2007

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:27 am

How many people are looking at what these great people fought and died for, including those in afghanistan and iraq, and look around at the laws and what people are doing today and just wonder...what a waste. When celebrating past victories it is not a case of england v spain or france its red vs blue. How xmas every year is threatened with being banned, how we cannot say happy xmas on cards because its offensive. How the word marriage is offensive to gays. On these days, rememberance day, these great people fought for us. Those that are still with us must be wondering themselves....what a waste.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:20 am

I feel particularly sad for the WW1 casualties as I believe it was a stupid war that meant nothing and was no victory. As sad as it is for the boys (and most of them were in teens to early twenties) who died in ww2 - the consolation is that  they died defeating a huge evil like Adolf HItler.

I also feel particularly sad for them as most of them were civilians who joined the army as opposed to guys who were professional soldiers.

R.I.P :(
Last edited by Big Niall on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:29 am

thanks for sharing your thoughts guys.

Makes you wonder really, these we're indeed real MEN, fighting for the freedom of us and to keep this Country free and British...

...then you look at our imigration problem, our chavs, kids that have no respect for anyone and wonder 'why bother?'
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:30 am

personally I think it should be taught differently in schools - not from a "glorious victory" angle but from the human angle. the milions including the equally brave germans stuck in their trenches, disease,pain, waste of lives etc.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:40 am

Lee J wrote:If this has been done on here already please delete this one.

Thought i'd just say a thank you to all the servicemen/women that fought for us in the 2nd World War, some of us will have lost grandparents during the war, some of us still have grandparents alive that can still remember the war.

A big thank you to you all - God Bless you.

Here's a few images ...

...and our thought go to those who are in conflict today.

even if this thread had been done before, it would make no difference if there were 100 of these topics - they were hero's all of them.

you cannot count or measure their sacrifice

RIP hero's  :nod

:buttrock
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum