Please dont delete this

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:50 pm

Media studies coursework
In this coursework I am comparing the articles of Broadsheet papers and Tabloid papers The guardian and The Inderpendat being examples of Broadsheets and Mirror and The sun being examples of Tabloids.There are many diffrences between Tabloids and Broadsheets the main being the layout.The job of a newspaper is to deliver news from around the world the news can be delivered through pictures and writing this is another diffrence between Tabloids and Broadsheets. Tabloid pages contain mostly pictures where as broadsheets does not have any pctures and is all writing. Both papers would use some sort of headline.The job of a headline is to stand out so it can catch someones attention if they are just walking past,headlines usually always have big bold black letters and sometimes contains an illiteration.

The articles i was given to look at and compare was the story about the tragic killing of when two ten year old boys beat James Bulger of Two years old so hard he died.The headline of the tabloid paper (the sun) is 'This boy and his pal murdered James bulger '2' and will be locked away for 20 years'.The headline of the broadsheet is 'An act of unparalleled evil'. After reading both articles i would have to say that the tabloids is more sensational my reason for this is when reading the quote 'He gulped for breathe and clutched his chest as the judge delivered to him that he would be jailed for many many years' it really dragged me into the story and i wanted to read on and although this may be aload of garbage it still tempts me to keep reading and i think people may look for this in a paper.However
the inderpendant paper is very factual and contains a quote from the judge saying 'Your conduct was both cunning and wicked' this maybe more suitable and very intresting for people who read papers for the factual side.

The broadsheets version contains no pictures of any of the attackers or James Bulger himself where as the tabloid paper the sun has pictures of one of the attackers Robert Thompson and the murdered James Bulger. The pictire of Robert they have selceted makes him look like another school kid but i think they may have russled through to find that one,The picture of James Bulger looks very sweet and innocent i think this could have been selected to make the readers feel all the more disgusted at the two attackers although people should feel sick even looking at a picture of Robert.

The tabloids paper is full up of half  pictures and half writing although theres looks to be more writing i think this maybe as they have used such a large font size.The broadsheet has no pictures not one and the writing in the broadsheet is small.Comparing the two columns of writing in both papers it has got to be the broadsheet that has more as even though the writing is smaller you can still tell that there is far more writing in those columns.

Language used in The sun is easy to read and i think you only need to have a reading age of Eight to be able to read the sun so it can spread to a whole variety of people so i think it has an easy effect of reding on the reader an example of this is ' It was too much, and she fled into tears but not before the police man who nailed these killers walked over and kissed her on the cheek' also about this  quote i think that could be aload of garbage because who walks over and kisses a stranger on the cheek.The language in the broadsheets is more advanced and uses more 'complex' words i think this could decrese the number of readers it has as the word maybe to long and sophisticated for a less abled teenagers to read and example of this is such words as ' vindictive' 'comprehend' and 'fixtation'.

The sun uses 'sensationalism' as it uses over the top information which is not necasarilly true an example of sensationalism is the headline the sun doesnt know the murderers will be jailed for 20 years another good example is what i mentioned earlier about the policeman walking over to the mother of James bulger and kissing her the sun doesnt know if any of these are true but still allows its self to print such mindless text.In comparisson to this the inderpendant is complety one hundred percent fact it even has three or four quotes from the actually court hearing as it has those facts and journalist must go down to the hearings thats the reason i would have to say the inderpendant is much more trustworthy

I have discovered nothing about which is more trustworthy or which is more fact or opinion as i new before writing this coursework that broadsheet tabloids contained most fact had no pictures and that tabloid papers use mostly pictures and base most of there articles on there own opinions However I would have to say I prefer tabloids papers even though they are opinionated papers.My reasons for this are I belive they make the storys more exciting where as broadsheets dont,they get straight to the point where broadsheets ramble on and on they use pictures aswell where broadsheets dont they are the reasons why id prefer to read a tabloid paper.

Richard O'Reilly 10.3 English

i printer is not working so i need to save this here then when i get to school open this then print it there this is very important it is my school coursework please dont delete
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm

has to be a wind up, u havent heard of email?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:05 pm

You can also send a PM to yourself, probably (I say this as help)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:35 pm

some of your english is terrible. take a good look at your sentence structure and check for the consistency of spelling.

and what the feck are you thinking of by using the s*n as one of your tabloid examples?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:37 pm

andy_g wrote:and what the feck are you thinking of by using the s*n as one of your tabloid examples?

because he's an idiot.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:41 pm

is there any way we can go in and change the article? :D
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:46 pm

Your preference for the tabloiod over the Independent is an indication of your age and, quite possibly, your future.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:53 pm

Haven't you heard of floppy disks, cd-rw, usb keys etc etc. You need   :help  mate. being a student you should have at least one of these.  :alien:
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:55 pm

Wow this has to be a record
I seen some flagrant attention seeking on this forum and ive seen some BS reasons for its justification,  but you seemed to have scored the double in one foul swoop
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:55 pm

Could you have saved it in MS Word? or sent yourself an email?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:59 pm

Like andy g said you should go through that work before yo even think about submitting that.... Unless primary schools now do coursework.  :laugh:
Last edited by stoney on Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:00 pm

Mods delete this thread immediately !!!! . Cheeky sod thinks it's his personal filing cabinet . :angry:

PS , If you don't want to delete it could you at least change the content of Xabi's post to make it worth reading ? :D  :D  :
Last edited by woof woof ! on Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stoney » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:02 pm

Must win the 2006 'worst thread' of the year surely....
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:35 pm

phil, I see you are trying to restrain yourself  :D
Last edited by stoney on Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:37 pm

im just looking forward to seeing landos take on this :D
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum