Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby taff » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:13 pm

:laugh:

Probably will be a game
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Too much hype if you ask me.

The cost of the PS3 is ridiculous, even though Sony are subsidizing the cost to the tune of around €300 a unit. Sony are claiming its a great deal as you get a Blu Ray disk player included in the price and it is a great deal when you compare it to Blu Ray players currently on the market (they cost over €1000 a pop) but effectively what is happening is that Sony is trying to force feed people their Blu Ray technology, whether they like it or not.

Also, Sony are notorious for overhyping the technological prowess of their machines, and its becoming increasingly clear that the PS3 is not superior to the Xbox360, and even some games reviewers have found that some games actually work better on the 360, which is substantially cheaper.

I think the 360 will be a force in the console market and will get cheaper next year, as Microsoft are moving to a more cost effective manufacturing process which should lower production costs and also make the 360 cooler (in temperatures), more silent and reliable.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Big Niall » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:12 pm

Anybody want to buy my Commodore 64 , it is yours for just £1000. My favourite game was Emelyn Hughes football although I didn't know who he was (where did Crazy Horse find the time to become a computer programmer :D ).

That machine cost about £250 back in the 1980s - don't know where my folks got the money. I was lucky mine was never stolen as my neighbours was stolen just the day before I got mine from santa :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:15 am

When the Atari 2600 was released back in the early eighties, my uncle killed three people to get one.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:10 am

JBG wrote:Too much hype if you ask me.

The cost of the PS3 is ridiculous, even though Sony are subsidizing the cost to the tune of around €300 a unit. Sony are claiming its a great deal as you get a Blu Ray disk player included in the price and it is a great deal when you compare it to Blu Ray players currently on the market (they cost over €1000 a pop) but effectively what is happening is that Sony is trying to force feed people their Blu Ray technology, whether they like it or not.

Also, Sony are notorious for overhyping the technological prowess of their machines, and its becoming increasingly clear that the PS3 is not superior to the Xbox360, and even some games reviewers have found that some games actually work better on the 360, which is substantially cheaper.

I think the 360 will be a force in the console market and will get cheaper next year, as Microsoft are moving to a more cost effective manufacturing process which should lower production costs and also make the 360 cooler (in temperatures), more silent and reliable.

£400 plus for a console is extortionate, especially considering that you can get both the Xbox 360 AND the Nintendo Wii for roughly the same price.

What more embarrassing is that Microsoft of all people got their console out on time a year earlier! Sony claim that the problem was sourcing enough of the Blu-ray components to cope with the demand. An easier solution would be to offer a variant without the Blu-ray player, but apparently someone didn't tell them that.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:12 am

That's true, but it's also true that it's a risky move of them. IN the past the best console didn't win the sales race. The Dreamcast was a good console, they failed, because the PSX1 had CDs not cartridges, and at the end of the day what it seems to be a risk for a console, having a game format that can be copied, can become the key of the success of the console.

The PS2 isn't better than the XBOX neither, yet they won the race aswell. My point is that having the best hardware has never been they key to success in sales.

The prices of the PS3 are quite normal in my book. It's a piece of modern hardware after all, and just like the normal hardware it's price will go down sooner or later (the DDR2 memories were expensive at the beginning then dropped).

Best Hardware doesn't give best games neither. A crafty programmer with a worse hardware can make a better game than a bad programmer in a good hardware.

Big Nial: You a Commie? I liked you until now. I only want a C64 for burning purposes. :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum