Fantasy football: - But not as we know it!

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:57 pm

Dear fellow Newkit users,
This year, The Times has created a new type of fantasy football game, based in some way on the American fantasy sports games used by the NBA and the NFL. I have created a league, but only 20 people (including myself) can be part of it, so there are 19 places up for grabs in the Newkit Elite League.

It's quite a bit different from the normal fantasy league sytem and every player in the team will score points for many new and various things. For full details, see tdays Times or pick one up next week, but I'll try and give you a taste of how it breaks down. For a start, you won't pick your team. Instead, on Thursday, August 16th, a draw will be made for each position. You can submit who you would like to have by making a list, but unless you get first pick, you'll have to settle for someone else. For example, you make a centre back list that reads something like:

1. Jamie Carragher (liv)
2. John Terry (Che)
3. Danny Agger (liv)
4. Sol Campbell (Por)
5. Rio Ferdinand (Man)

You may get the first pick of centre backs meaning that you'll get Carra, but you might have to settle for a player that you put in tenth. If you don't pay attention, you might end up with a back pair of Bramble and Traore! So make your list wisely. Everyone should get at least one first choice or second choice player per team, but no-one will have any of the same players as you. This means that if you have a good week, only you will benefit from it. You can pick up free agents, trade players and block transfers.

So, here are the details:

League Name: Newkit Elite League

League Password: **********

Draw date: Thursday, August 16th, 2007

Only the first 19 applicants will get in, and it's free. I would have made it unlimited participation, but 20 is the limit set by The Times. If people are desperate, there's nothing to stop someone else creating another league. And there is still the premierleague.com game that is open to all (but that has its own thread).

So if anyone fancies a challenge, or wants to try a new type of game, feel free to join. But remember, only 19 places are up for grabs...
Last edited by The Ace1983 on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:31 pm

Im in, sounds like fun this!
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:21 pm

This is so annoying but we are getting there
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:41 pm

Job done :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:17 am

im in dude, working on team now
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:27 am

dawson99 wrote:im in dude, working on team now

Ditto   :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:08 am

F'uck ! stuck already  :D

Question
As there's twenty teams does that mean we should select 20 names for each position ?(as you could get last choice in any given one)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:14 am

ive no idea what ive done dude. just picked a shed load of players i like at the top, and a shed load i dont like at the bottom...that about right?
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:23 am

Whats the story with subs ? 20 names for each position again as they can't conflict with others used/taken ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:19 pm

All you have to do is go to the list and place the players you like or rate at the top and all the Everton, sorry, players you don't like at the bottom. This can sound a bit daunting, but you won't have to be that thourough. Like I said, there will be 20 players in this league, so for positions like Goalkeeper, Right midfield, etc, where you will get 1 player, you need only ensure that your top 20 is a good list. Forwards and central defenders require 40, but again, the likelihood is that the better players are already near the top, and that means you'll only have to touch it up a little bit.

The idea of this method is to make it more "realistic" and more similar to CM or FM games. Instead of everyone having players like Gerrard, Terry, Carragher, Lampard, etc, only one manager will have one of these players, so instead of having all of your favorites, you arrive with the team that you win. It's like a lottery. For example, I have put Gerrard at the top of my list meaning that if I win the first pick in Central Midfielders, I'll get Gerrard, but I might get the 20th pick meaning that I get whoever I have put as my 20th choice. The deal goes that if you don't get a first pick in any of the eight or nine positions, you'll probably get a second and a third choice in other fields. So the likelyhood is that you'll have at least a couple of star players in your team, a good few high class players, a couple of Maybes and usually (having played the NBA version of this last year) one stinker if you don't pay attention to your list. Every player that isn't picked goes onto a free transfer list and you can try and snap them up and replace any players that you have who may suck.

So, when you open the original list that the times has made, the likelyhood is that the better players will already be at the top of the pile, but its a good idea to have a flick through and move up any star names you can find. If you're feeling energetic (or bored) a few minutes of work can be done just moving people around. Dawson's got it pretty much spot on. Move your faves up and drop fill Neville to the bottom   :D and if you do land a shocking player, you can ditch him for a free transfer or trade off with another player. You might decide that having Crouch is a bit of a liability because he won't always play, but another player might really want him and would be willing to trade McCarthy or Owen or another good striker. 

I'm not up on subs yet, so I'll go check that out now and get back to you. Happy list making, and remember to save the list you make because when the draw happens on August 16th, you'll want to give yourself as good a chance as possible of getting the Championship team.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:52 pm

The Rules

See under sections 11 & 12 for all team and league related stuff. You can have a squad of up to 20 players, some of which will be assigned, some you will pick up but you'll be able to trade and pick up freebies when the players have been assigned. I hope this answers your questions, but just post some more up here if you have any.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:55 pm

just picked a good list and see what happens, sounds cool tho dude
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:05 pm

I'm in , I have a question though. Do I pick, for instance a full team i.e 1-11? , what i mean is do I choose 1 GK, 4 Deffenders 4 Midfielders and 2 Strikers as the first 11 names in my list, or do I just pick what I rate as the best 20 players regardless of what position they play ?

Only The Times could make it so difficult !
destro

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:35 pm

When you get to the list screen, just arrange it to resemble your ratings. Put the best players at the top, worst players at the bottom. The best players should already be up there, but the rest is alphabetical. You don't get to pick your actual team, it's a draw, but if you get the first pick, your favourite players will get in, if you get last pick you get the highest ranked player that is still available. WE DO NOT DO THE PICKING. That is up to the draw, and each player's pick is random, so if you get first choice for Forwards, you will get the first forward on your list. If you are drawn 10th, you will get the tenth placed striker on your list. The same goes for each position.

But to make it simple, I reiterate, just put the players who you think are best at the top of the list, and the worst at the bottom. Only the top 400 players will get used, so if you really don't want someone, just stick them down bellow 401 and you have no chance of getting them. But the way this works means that if you have a player like Alonso who doesn't score that many goals, you may get as much points from him as you do from a player like Lampard who does. Why? Because other factors come into it. Assists naturally, but also passing accuracy, tackles won and time spent on the field.

Once again, all you have to do is put the best at the top, the worst at the bottom, and yes Destro, only the Times could make fantasy football seem this difficult :D  . But in reality, its pretty easy and the thrill of the draw makes it that much more interesting.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dward » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:33 pm

I'm in. Just sorting out my team now.
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum