Christmas grub ideas - Post your best recipes

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby red37 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:14 am

after being inspired by joko's excellent recipe for Hot 'n' sour soup.. ive decided to open a topic dedicated to all your best loved grub and the methods you use. Ill get the ball rolling with my number 1 Cookie mixture - try it and see  :;):

(no googling either) im not expecting Gordon Ramsey style instructions...just yer homemade finest. Anything considered, from Chip sarnies to Blackcurrant cheesecake  :cool:   free Michelin star for the most innovative.

heres one of mine:

coconut and fudge cookies  (chewy)

100g soft unsalted butter
200g caster/demerara sugar
1 large egg
1tsp bicarb
itsp vanilla extract
1tblsp honey
150g plain flour
200g dess. coconut/gr. almond
125g fudge pieces
50g chopped mixed nuts.

stage 1 cream butter/sugar/egg/vanilla/honey
stage 2 add flour/bicarb/coconut/almond
stage 3 mix well, add mixed nuts/fudge.

pinch into small walnut size onto greased sheet and place in warm oven - gas 4-5 for 14 mins. Turn oven off and leave for a further 3 mins.

Remove to rest and cool. makes approx. 32.

notes: go easy on the sugar and butter bearing in mind the fudge.

variations include the use of dark/white chocolate (best use choc chips, freeze them first and add as normal at stage 3 in place of fudge) combined with toasted almond and hazelnuts. easy with the coconut and ground almonds if using whole nuts also. You can add 1 tblsp of cocoa and an extra 25g of sugar here, for the choc/nut combo.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:24 pm

perfect roast potatoes anyone?

Most supermarkets stock the maris piper variety, they are the best for roasting as that are naturally soft and fluffy on the inside but go nice and crispy on the outside.

The best oil/fat to use is goose fat (as recently promoted by nigella lawson) but its not something all all have in our cupboards so veg oil or extra virgin olive oil is ok

ingredients
Maris Piper potatoes
salt
Goose fat or veg oil or extra virgin olive oil
garlic
rosemary

method
1)Peel as many potatoes as needed and boil them with a pince of salt for 6-8 minutes, so they are slightly soft on the outside, but still soid in the middle.

While you are waiting for the spuds to boil put some oil in a baking tray and put in the oven. The oil needs to be as hot as it can be before you pout the potatoes in.

2)Once potatoes are part-boiled, drain them in a colinder and shake them vigorously for 30 seconds to 'fluff' the outsides of the potato. Add 1 or 2 cloves of garlic (chopped) and a sprinkling of rosemary and shake.

3)Then add the potatoes to the hot oil/fat and put them in the oven for 40minutes, or untill fully cooked and crispy.

Turn them occasionally, roughly every 10-15mins.

perfect roasties

:)  :)
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:30 pm

Redman in wales wrote:perfect roast potatoes anyone?

Most supermarkets stock the maris piper variety, they are the best for roasting as that are naturally soft and fluffy on the inside but go nice and crispy on the outside.

The best oil/fat to use is goose fat (as recently promoted by nigella lawson) but its not something all all have in our cupboards so veg oil or extra virgin olive oil is ok

ingredients
Maris Piper potatoes
salt
Goose fat or veg oil or extra virgin olive oil
garlic
rosemary

method
1)Peel as many potatoes as needed and boil them with a pince of salt for 6-8 minutes, so they are slightly soft on the outside, but still soid in the middle.

While you are waiting for the spuds to boil put some oil in a baking tray and put in the oven. The oil needs to be as hot as it can be before you pout the potatoes in.

2)Once potatoes are part-boiled, drain them in a colinder and shake them vigorously for 30 seconds to 'fluff' the outsides of the potato. Add 1 or 2 cloves of garlic (chopped) and a sprinkling of rosemary and shake.

3)Then add the potatoes to the hot oil/fat and put them in the oven for 40minutes, or untill fully cooked and crispy.

Turn them occasionally, roughly every 10-15mins.

perfect roasties

:)  :)

Just about the same as I make roast potatoes mate . Only I tend to baste them rather than turn them. You have got me hungry now!  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Ciggy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:13 pm

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/79044/mr_bean_holiday/
:D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:06 pm

my fave recipe: one bottle of rioja, 6 bottles of staropramen and a big fat f*ck off christmas dinner cooked by somebody else :idea
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:09 pm

Redman in wales wrote:The best oil/fat to use is goose fat (as recently promoted by nigella lawson) but its not something all all have in our cupboards so veg oil or extra virgin olive oil is ok

Dunno about recipes but I'd like to recommend something for Nigella...... Me!!!

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:13 am

Woollyback wrote:my fave recipe: one bottle of rioja, 6 bottles of staropramen and a big fat f*ck off christmas dinner cooked by somebody else :idea

You b*stard - that was going to be MY gag! :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanks72 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:21 am

I'm not very good at cooking....but I'm brilliant at washing up  :D

And I don't mean using a dishwasher as we haven't one.. I'm happy splashing around in a bowl of hot water with loads of soap suds....but only when doing the dishes of course.. :p

Today seemed like a food conveyor belt...(not for me personally). I cooked a couple of dinners for people and did a bacon sarnie for someone...ok so the bacon was a lil bit more crispy than it should have been... :upside:
(I can't help it if I keep forgetting I have something under the grill!)

I am a veggie, but don't mind cooking meat for people....if I can work out how to do it. Each to their own...    :)
Image Image

REST IN PEACE DRUMMERPHIL, YNWA

underneath are the everlasting arms
deuteronomy 33:27
shanks72
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:46 am

Ingredients

1) Beans
2) Toast

Method

1) Open the beans
2) Pour the beans in a microwave proof plate, heat for appox 1 min
3) Toast bread
4) Spread heated beans on toasted bread

P.S. If your feeling really crazy you can grate some cheese on top, but be careful.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sundy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:31 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Ingredients

1) Beans
2) Toast

Method

1) Open the beans
2) Pour the beans in a microwave proof plate, heat for appox 1 min
3) Toast bread
4) Spread heated beans on toasted bread

P.S. If your feeling really crazy you can grate some cheese on top, but be careful.

:bowdown  :D  :D

Excellent mate, :censored: meself laughin when i read that!! Makes it all sound so technical.......

Bit of a pot noodle man meself

1.Open lid
2.Add boiling water and stir like a cnut!
sundy

Postby red37 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:08 am

Shame on you...you denizens of the dinnerplate!  beans....pot noodles!  whatever next.....go on, open your tins of spam. I hope your consciences let you sleep of a night  :angry:

:wwww    i think ive just had a nervous breakdown.  :(

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:27 am

As you all sit in your cheerily lit dinning rooms staring at a table groaning under the weight of a mouth watering christmas feast, spare a thought for the homeless out there in the freezing cold , no food , no family and no xmas telly . Do the decent thing , before tucking into your grub go to your window and wave to them .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza 1 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:45 am

woof woof ! wrote:As you all sit in your cheerily lit dinning rooms staring at a table groaning under the weight of a mouth watering christmas feast, spare a thought for the homeless out there in the freezing cold , no food , no family and no xmas telly . Do the decent thing , before tucking into your grub go to your window and wave to them .

PMSL.......... :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:50 am

In all honesty, I can put my hands up and say that I have never cooked a Christmas dinner. I always went to my mums on Christmas day, but the last 4 years I have stayed at home. But my other half cooks it. I would'nt have a clue where to start. I dont even help him with it. I'm barred from the kitchen over Christmas, except to do the dishes.
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:33 pm

I roast my potatoes in fresh garlic, fresh rosemary and paprika. They are scrumtious. And a tip for anyone who can't get theirs to brown, mix up a little bit of dark soy with some olive oil and brush your spuds with them near the end.

Put a tiny bit of butter and salt in with the mashed up carrot and swede to give it some zing.

Instead of putting the bacon over the bird, stuff it inside its skin with loads of salt and pepper andyou'll have a far juicier turkey add a few sage leaves to the top of the bird as it nears completion to get a kick- :censored: flavour.

Add a couple of drops of tobasco to your cranberry jelly (literally two drops) and then mash it up before serving. Sounds horrible, but it really isn't.

And finally, get fresh sprouts... and feed them to the dog! :D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum