>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:23 am

dawson99 wrote:bit of head and shoulders will sort them out

lol kind of remind you of ''evolution'' doesn't it? :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:31 am

Not really massivly surprising, is it? I mean, there are creatures that live at the furthest depths of the ocean around volcanic gaps in the sea bed that heat the water so hot that it can cook flesh, with sulphur levels that would peel your face off yer bones.

And then we have things like this:

I mean, what is it? Look at it. It doesn't even make any sense. What does it even do?!
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:56 am

it is massively surprising actually. we've known for a long long time that there are organisms - known as extremophiles - that can withstand and even thrive in conditions that would kill the majority of life forms. we also know that there are thousands, even hundreds of thousands, of species yet to be 'discovered' as one by one they appear on the scientific radar. however, with every single amazing discovery the one common factor is the basic chemistry of every organisms and their complete dependence on that conjunction of 6 key elements. this is the first time ever that an organism has been discovered that can break that arrangement, and until now nobody believed that it was even possible.

surprising is exactly what it is.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red-er-Dare » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:36 pm

Silly question perhaps, but did this microbe have ALL six essential elements except for the phosphorus of course which was subbed for arsenic?

More so, do ALL living life forms (organisms, bacteria and microbes etc) depend on all six elements to live or can some of these life forms say, live with three elements?
Red-er-Dare

Postby andy_g » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm

Silly question perhaps, but did this microbe have ALL six essential elements except for the phosphorus of course which was subbed for arsenic?

More so, do ALL living life forms (organisms, bacteria and microbes etc) depend on all six elements to live or can some of these life forms say, live with three elements?

all living organisms have all six elements and cannot function without them - carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, sulphur and phosphorous. in the case of this organism it isn't that it has substituted phosphorous for arsenic - if phosphorous is present it will use it - but that it is able to replace the phosphorous for arsenic in an arsenic rich environment. normally this would kill any other organism (that we know of) as arsenic is poisonous. they key issue here is that for the first time an organism has been seen to be able to alter the previously inviolate combination of base elements.
Last edited by andy_g on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:56 pm

So, it's a kind of extremophile?
LFC2007

Postby fivecups » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:29 pm

LFC2007 wrote:So, it's a kind of extremophile?

It is but thats beside the point.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:17 pm

fivecups wrote:

Ok, so not just any old extremophile. :D

Just had a gander here:

http://www.astrobio.net/exclusive/3698/thriving-on-arsenic
utm_source=networkbanner&utm_medium=link[/URL]

And here is some interesting discussion:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyng....um=link
LFC2007

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:38 pm

andy_g wrote:it is massively surprising actually. we've known for a long long time that there are organisms - known as extremophiles - that can withstand and even thrive in conditions that would kill the majority of life forms. we also know that there are thousands, even hundreds of thousands, of species yet to be 'discovered' as one by one they appear on the scientific radar. however, with every single amazing discovery the one common factor is the basic chemistry of every organisms and their complete dependence on that conjunction of 6 key elements. this is the first time ever that an organism has been discovered that can break that arrangement, and until now nobody believed that it was even possible.

It's always a bit of a surprise whenever something new is found, though, isn't it?

What if alien life forms were discovered tomorrow. Would it surprise you?
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:43 pm

andy_g wrote:

all living organisms have all six elements and cannot function without them - carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, sulphur and phosphorous. in the case of this organism it isn't that it has substituted phosphorous for arsenic - if phosphorous is present it will use it - but that it is able to replace the phosphorous for arsenic in an arsenic rich environment. normally this would kill any other organism (that we know of) as arsenic is poisonous. they key issue here is that for the first time an organism has been seen to be able to alter the previously inviolate combination of base elements.

Sort of like the book of genesis has been rewritten, or the roadmap for all life has been altered. Like The Andromeda Strain.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:26 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
andy_g wrote:it is massively surprising actually. we've known for a long long time that there are organisms - known as extremophiles - that can withstand and even thrive in conditions that would kill the majority of life forms. we also know that there are thousands, even hundreds of thousands, of species yet to be 'discovered' as one by one they appear on the scientific radar. however, with every single amazing discovery the one common factor is the basic chemistry of every organisms and their complete dependence on that conjunction of 6 key elements. this is the first time ever that an organism has been discovered that can break that arrangement, and until now nobody believed that it was even possible.

It's always a bit of a surprise whenever something new is found, though, isn't it?

i'm not sure what your point is here, but yes it is surprising whenever something new is found, of course. but there are also levels of surprise from 'ooh, how interesting' to 'fukk me!! where the hell did that come from??'

if alien life forms were discovered tomorrow i wouldn't be surprised at all, i'd be completely gobsmacked.

and the roadmap for life hasn't been altered or rewritten or anything, but we seem to have found a fairly interesting and unexpected side road.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:49 am

LFC2007 wrote:
fivecups wrote:

Ok, so not just any old extremophile. :D

Just had a gander here:

http://www.astrobio.net/exclusive/3698/thriving-on-arsenic
utm_source=networkbanner&utm_medium=link[/URL]

And here is some interesting discussion:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyng....um=link

Good links, especially the second one.

My prediction - this DNA will turn out to be non-functional.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:06 am

andy_g wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:

i'm not sure what your point is here, but yes it is surprising whenever something new is found, of course. but there are also levels of surprise from 'ooh, how interesting' to 'fukk me!! where the hell did that come from??'

if alien life forms were discovered tomorrow i wouldn't be surprised at all, i'd be completely gobsmacked.

and the roadmap for life hasn't been altered or rewritten or anything, but we seem to have found a fairly interesting and unexpected side road.

Yes, I knew I'd worded that wrong. A side road. I mean, it's sort of thrown conventional wisdom up in the air a little. Makes you wonder what else is possible.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14 am

You guys love this sh!t!

I'm just happy when a new beer comes out or we get a new receptionist at work.

As for new lifeforms... its all about The Abyss, whats under the water. In the water, not in the jungles.. no one cares about a new slug, but a new arsenic based mofo is pretty awesome
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum