Top clubs 'not helping' mcclaren - Are you sure you mean liverpool?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson says the big Premiership clubs - and not manager Steve McClaren - are to blame for England's problems.
Former Boro boss McClaren has come under increased pressure following Wednesday's 1-0 defeat by Spain.

"What chances are English footballers getting at major clubs? Steve can only work with the tools he's given."

"The Liverpools and the Arsenals - what are they contributing at national level?" said Gibson on BBC Five Live.

"There are many, many other reasons why the English football team isn't working. It hasn't worked successfully since 1966.

"What we're asking Steve to do is perform miracles. Anybody who thinks it is going to be turned around immediately is really fooling themselves.

"We've got to start looking at not just the head coach, but right through our structure."

Gibson, who gave McClaren his first managerial position, said it was ludicrous to suggest the former Manchester United coach should be sacked as England boss.

"I think Steve needs to be judged at the end of his term, not less than one year into it," he said.

"I don't see how things are going to be improved by saying Steve McClaren will be out of a job if we don't qualify for Euro 2008.

"Certainly his history at our football club is a very good one."

Middlesbrough have developed a reputation for bringing young English players from their academy into their first team
"We really believe in our academy and pulling young players through," said Gibson.

"I had a manager in Steve McClaren who believed in putting young English players through. I have another manager (Gareth Southgate) who also believes in giving young English players a chance.

"We need all of that looking into. Everybody involved in football has a responsibility to review it."

Gibson also had some harsh words for former Boro players Massimo Maccarone and Danny Mills, who last week criticised McClaren.

"Massimo's a fool," Gibson said. "He came to this football club with a tremendous opportunity, he wasted that opportunity. His comments afterwards were foolish.

"Danny Mills was given a tremendous opportunity by Steve McClaren and the greed - whether it was his or his agent's greed - were combined and that was the reason he didn't stay at this football club.

"I was part of the negotiations where his agent asked for an increase of beyond 25%. That's why Danny Mills didn't stay at this football club, no other reason."
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:56 pm

ok so lets look at just one bit of what was said.
"The Liverpools and the Arsenals - what are they contributing at national level?" said Gibson on BBC Five Live.

ok so the like of Steven Gerrard MBE,Jamie Carragher are doing nothing???
not to add other that we have put into our team (Peter Crouch) and i dont think it will be long before JERMAINE PENNANT gets the call....and oh what about the under 21's SCOTT CARSON ....and we still have JOHN WELSH  that still could make the grade.
so are liverpool doing nothing to help. it seems to the that its far from it.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:37 pm

I simply do not understand Gibson's argument.  Obviously, as you've pointed out Lakes, we've got English internationals playing at Liverpool so that can't be it.  Is he saying that players like SWP are not getting enough games at the top clubs and this is why England is suffering?  Bewildering.

In any event, it's all bollox since McClaren doesn't know his a.rse from his elbow and needs sacking now, before England failt to qualify or limp into Euro 2008 low on confidence and short on ideas.  Playing Phil Neville at left back and Lampard at LM are all you need to know about his suitability as England manager. :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby lakes10 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:43 am

or he might be say that we dont bring in enought kids into our first team....or that we dont buy english young kids( they cost too much if you are not russian).
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:25 am

"I think Steve needs to be judged at the end of his term, not less than one year into it,"

I dont. We all know he's s.hit, judge him now I say.

He's already (McClaren) making excuses for that lost on the lines of ' I didnt have all my players'. Their not the kind of excuses you want to here from an England manager. Maybe at Boro, Twa.t :angry:
66-1112520797

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:54 am

i can not remember any time that liverpool players have pulled out of the england squad with fake injuries. the injuries have always been bad enough to miss league games also.

unlike some clubs i can mention where they dont miss any league games but are injured for the england friendly

and anyway small clubs also pull players out, where was andy johnson recently for the internationals
:D
112-1077774096

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:49 am

Just another know-nothing, p*ssant Chairman of a backwards club bitching due to his own failings.

I am quite willing to bet any amount of money you like that the only reason LFC was mentioned was because the pedantic old b*stard is still miffed over the Zeige deal.

Well Gibbo:

Go and f*ck yourself.

Right up the sh*tter.
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:52 am

Could be that Gibson sees the writing on the wall as well as the rest of us and that this is a message to Macca that he can have his old job back!? :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:55 am

On the topic of that walking septic bubo McClaren, he has once again displayed his complete lack of managerial skill in as stale a game as you are ever likely to see between 2 of the supposed top sides in the World.

Watching England is like nipping down your local rec to cheer on "The Dog and Duck" in the local Sunday League.

FA - F*cking disgraceful. Grow a spine you invertibrate scum, and sack that tw*t before it's too late.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:28 am

Steve Gibson is talking nonsense.

McLaren has an excellent selection of English footballers to use, but he, like Sven, simply lacks the ability to use them properly and effectively.

Scolari was the man for job. But they went with the mediocre choice instead.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:34 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:On the topic of that walking septic bubo McClaren, he has once again displayed his complete lack of managerial skill in as stale a game as you are ever likely to see between 2 of the supposed top sides in the World.

Watching England is like nipping down your local rec to cheer on "The Dog and Duck" in the local Sunday League.

FA - F*cking disgraceful. Grow a spine you invertibrate scum, and sack that tw*t before it's too late.

I have to be honest I used to love watching England with a passion, love it. But nowadays I've more or less lost interest in watching England play.

Due to the fact that they employed that boring swede of a manager for the best part of five years and didnt know how to get the best out of his players. And then they employed an equally inept manager in McClaren, another useless manager who is already making excuses that he didnt have his best players at his disposal.  :no 

The F.A have made England a joke on the world stage, along with their appointments of c.rap managers.

To the F.A and McClaren, and in the words of Lando.

Stick it up your sh**ter !
66-1112520797

Postby Ciggy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:55 am

Cheeky fecker, Liverpool have always contributed players for the England squad, its not Liverpool or Arsenals fault that England are sh.it its the managers that they have had.
Finger needs to be pointed as to why Lampard still starts in midfield with Gerrard when its obvious to the whole entire world they cannot play together.
As long as England have sh.it managers they will win feck all.
Its ok blaming Liverpool and Arsenal for not buying enough english players but FFS the state of the price tags of some of them.
The gulf in technical ability from the english players to those from abroad is embarressing.
England remind me of Bolton when they play anyone with flair.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:56 am

When England play, I am more concerned with LFC players not getting injured.

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:35 pm

Welsh has gone to Hull for good now lakes.

Also Gibson is one of the best chairman in the country for me. But his comments about us won't go down well.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:49 pm

LFC's main concern is LFC, not England.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion