Roy keane - Announces retirement

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:01 pm

Absolutely hated the guy when he played for United, so much so that I struggled to bring myself to cheer him on when he pulled on the Ireland shirt.  Having said that though, he is probably the best central midfielder of the last decade, the type of player you'd love to play with but hate to play against.

Worth pointing out that Keane is a living reminder of the damage footballers can do to themselves - only 34 yet he will most likely need a hip replacement before he's 40.  Just as well Keane was such a good player that he earned a very good wage, because within a couple of years he will be unfit for most types of work.  Raises the debate we were having a few weeks back about whether footballers deserve the astronomical wages they get these days.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:14 pm

I agree that he was the best midfielder in premiership but I don't respect him for screwing up our world cup campaign or for delibarately injuring Haaland - serves Keane right if his hip is messed up.

I did like the way he represented the new winning mentality in Ireland and went out with the belief we'd beat anybody. I've never seen anybody drag a team to the CL final the way he did in 1999.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:27 pm

I was livid with him for walking out before the world cup, it was a disgrace.  But after reading his book it helped me understand why he did it.  I still think he was wrong to do it, but I understand his reasons.

As for Haaland, you're right in that you should never set out to deliberately injure a player, it was pretty bad.  But when you look at the original incident when Keane wrecked himself, Haaland shouldn't have been standing over Keane goading him about being injured.  He can't seriously have thought someone like Keane was going to let that slide could he?  Still, Keane should have been the bigger man and left it at that.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:13 pm

i've just got home and put on SSN. they're going overboard as normal on all this. then they were interviewing some fans outside celtic park and one of them went "he's totally irreplacable to celtic". what the f#ck? he's only played about 10 games for them hasn't he?  ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:58 pm

Fuck Roy keane.  Was a good player and all that but I stopped worrying about him a long time ago.  Let him retire in peace, it sounds like this is what he has always desired.  Hates the press and media and all that.

So enjoy your retirement Roy, but you should have retired at the top about four years ago when both you and Manchester United were still good.
jonnymac1979

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:58 pm

He should have been a Liverpool player. Souness tried to sign him for Liverpool just after we signed Saunders. Infact I think we offered Saunders as  P/X on Keane but Forest wanted cash. Would have been a great signing for us. Seems ironic that little Luis Garcia snapped him at the end lol. I dont think its coincidence that Manure have won virtually nothing since he stopped being a force.
account deleted by request

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:29 pm

KEANE HEADS FOR RETIREMENT.

F'UCK OFF ROY ,WE DON'T WANT ANY PEGS

:D
Last edited by woof woof ! on Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:30 pm

F'UCK OFF ROY ,WE DON'T WANT ANY PEGS

:laugh:
account deleted by request

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:36 pm

I don't like Keane but how is he a gypsy?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:41 pm

Big Niall wrote:I don't like Keane but how is he a gypsy?

:D

He's the spittin' image of a fella who used to come round (when I was a kid) sellin pegs and sharpening knives .

See what I mean ?     :D
Last edited by woof woof ! on Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:15 pm

:laugh:

I'd be lying if I said I'd never shouted 'feckin gypsy' at the tv screen during Keane's United days
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:38 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:Fuck Roy keane.  Was a good player and all that but I stopped worrying about him a long time ago.  Let him retire in peace, it sounds like this is what he has always desired.  Hates the press and media and all that.

So enjoy your retirement Roy, but you should have retired at the top about four years ago when both you and Manchester United were still good.

:nod My sentiments entirely.

We wont forget you John Keane. :laugh:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:26 pm

United player or not, I wish him good luck.

He was one of the best midfielders I've ever seen. It's no coincidence that United's decline coincided with Keanes. I love that sort of midfielder - hard as f**k, gives everything and demands 100% of everyone around him. He was brilliant at winning possession, distributing the ball and getting forward. He mastered his temper in later years as well.

I agree he shafted Ireland when he walked out in 2002, but do you really think Gary Breen and Steven Reid etc. would have played like they did had he not left? There was an interesting split at that time with half of Ireland siding with and against him.

I've shouted buckets of abuse at him over the years but underneath that I've always had a grudging respect for a player who was unquestionably world class.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:23 am

No doubt he was world class and the best midfielder in Premiership history but I do NOT wish him good luck, I have no respect for any man that would deliberately injure any player.

I would have no problem with a good old fist fight but a foul like that is a cheap shot and unmanly/cowardly.

F**K him!
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:59 am

F*ck off Keane, you dirty gypo manc scum thug.

Brilliant player, but no amount of trophies will ever make up for the fact that you're a total c*nt, with all the charm and endearment of an over-used tampon.

You f*cking filthy scrubber.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion