Rivaldo - Rivaldo unsettled

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:13 am

I've just been watching Football Update on Sky Sports.  A message flashed up at the bottom of the screen saying that if the situation in Italy with Milan does not improve by December, Rivaldo will definitely look for an English Premiership club.  As far as I'm concerned, if Gerard Houllier is not interested in this player - I don't care how old he is, class speaks for itself - it shows lack of ambition.  What views do you have on Rivaldo and do you think he would improve our team?
jonnymac1979

Postby ihatemanyoo » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:49 pm

Rivaldo you say ... hmm. I don't know, he's a bit of a bad boy. Will Houllier be able to keep him under control? Deja vu Anelka ... Granted, class he has, but can he settle in England? There's the language problem, do we have any Portuguese-speaker among our staff? Some creative players have found out that the English style of play is a bit too scrappy and restrictive. And he's isn't match fit. Doesn't that remind us of Veron ...

Don't get me wrong, I'm just being careful. Not everybody will turn out to be revelations like Cristiano Ronaldo or Gaizka Mendieta. The Board may also be cautious about signing a big name, albeit past his prime, with a hefty wage which he is sure to demand. And does he want to play for a club that cannot guarantee him Champions League football?

However, if he can join us and fit in, his experience would be invaluable. He could serve as a central playmaker. Then we can have fantastic Kewell on the left, Rivaldo centre, and the "newly-improved" Diouf on the right. Maybe a 4-4-1-1? Otherwise he can always partner Owen or Baros in attack. Now that's depth in a squad.
ihatemanyoo

Postby cheesecakery » Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:43 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:I've just been watching Football Update on Sky Sports.  A message flashed up at the bottom of the screen saying that if the situation in Italy with Milan does not improve by December, Rivaldo will definitely look for an English Premiership club.  As far as I'm concerned, if Gerard Houllier is not interested in this player - I don't care how old he is, class speaks for itself - it shows lack of ambition.  What views do you have on Rivaldo and do you think he would improve our team?

no some players get better with age , look at Sheringham ,
he uses his experienced football brain to read the game ,
age shouldnt be an issue ,
i think we should bring in Maradona and maybe Jimmy Hill ,
hes still a nippy little bugger ,
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:09 pm

What sharp wit.
jonnymac1979

Postby HistoryGirl » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:00 pm

Rivaldo well i agree he's class but PL is different to where he has played before and he is getting on a bit now :D it looks like he's going to Spuis anyway
You'll Never Walk Alone

Justice for the 96

Blog
HistoryGirl
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:58 pm

There's rumour he'll now end up in Qatar similar to the way the Japanese J-League was the haven for "past-it greats" ten years ago.  If anyone is interested, there's a young Brazilian kid, Kaka, who has ousted him from the first 11, and it looks like there is no way back for Rivaldo. 

It would be a crime if this happened.  As far as I am allowed to have an opinion, he can come to Anfield and score last minute overhead scissor kicks all day if he wants to!!!  It was only little over a year ago he won the World Cup!!!  He's hardly in decline.

Let's face it, he's 31.  We haven't had creative players since McAllister and Litmanen (barring Kewell), who were also the wrong side of 30, who were there two years maximum and who brought that little bit more to the team when they played.  And the team has arguably suffered because of this fact.

I just hope that at least Gerard Houllier acknowledges that he is available, that it appears he is, at the very least, interested in World Champions (not Diomede "World Champions!!!"), and that if we don't sign him, he doesn't end up playing for another Premiership club, who were willing to take a chance on him, and he wins all the Player of the Year awards as he inspires his new club to trophies galore, and exciting, inspiring football along the way.

Saying that, if he doesn't sign for Liverpool, Qatar are welcome to him.  The only way I would love to see him lighting up the Premiership, is in the Red of Liverpool.
jonnymac1979

Postby ~RedCroat~ » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:42 am

ihatemanyoo wrote:Rivaldo you say ... hmm. I don't know, he's a bit of a bad boy. Will Houllier be able to keep him under control? Deja vu Anelka ... Granted, class he has, but can he settle in England? There's the language problem, do we have any Portuguese-speaker among our staff? Some creative players have found out that the English style of play is a bit too scrappy and restrictive. And he's isn't match fit. Doesn't that remind us of Veron ...

Don't get me wrong, I'm just being careful. Not everybody will turn out to be revelations like Cristiano Ronaldo or Gaizka Mendieta. The Board may also be cautious about signing a big name, albeit past his prime, with a hefty wage which he is sure to demand. And does he want to play for a club that cannot guarantee him Champions League football?

However, if he can join us and fit in, his experience would be invaluable. He could serve as a central playmaker. Then we can have fantastic Kewell on the left, Rivaldo centre, and the "newly-improved" Diouf on the right. Maybe a 4-4-1-1? Otherwise he can always partner Owen or Baros in attack. Now that's depth in a squad.

I agree...though Rivaldo is one of my favourite players, and I think his magic moments could vastly improve LFC's play,(and change it from long ball/winger tactics to penetrating attacking play...
Still, bringing him now is not a good idea...why?
its obvious...if LFC is lets say, around 10th place when Rivaldo comes, all eyes will be pointed at him, and he will be unadapted to his new environment and team. He has played for Deportivo and Barca, then Milan, and Spain and Italy are similar in football perspective.English football is more open and volatile..(fast and furious:) ), so if Rivaldo is to be brought, LFC should do it in the summer, of course, if the brazilian decides to stay in football...
~RedCroat~

Postby Chinesegirl » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:02 am

My father like him,but I don't like.
watch match on tv to support LFC now
watch mathc in anfield to support several years later!
i'll study hard for LFC
Chinesegirl

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:07 am

Its exciting though isn't it.  As you can see i've been championing this player for a while.  There is not a friend I have spoken to who does not want this player for Liverpool, and if Rivaldo wants to come, bring him on!!!!!!  I notice Tottenham are sniffing around him aswell.  Remember Klinsmann??
jonnymac1979

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:27 pm

Nah! we dont need mercenarys like rivaldo, he would unsettle the team. ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:35 pm

We should be looking at current and future stars not living in the past. Why should we bring players who are either past their prime or living off their reputation? While I don't think we should compromise quality in search of a bargain, I feel we should look at longer term prospects like Kewell and Anelka. I think signings like Pongolle and Le Tallec are exciting for fans to talk of in terms of future stardom (potential), but I'd prefer to see players who have achieved a little more at the level that counts. We already have way too many "stars of the future" and have gone through our spell of "stars of yesteryear", it is about time we landed in the present
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby long sleeved joe » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:54 pm

it would be a gamble because he's got a mouth on him and is clearly frustrated that things havent gone his way at Milan, but at the same time the great players always seem to be on the verge of being a pain in the neck and i think Houlier likes players with attitude eg Diouf. However he said previously that it was not his policy to buy big name pre-maddonas and he probably fits the bill
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden i'd draw the curtains" Bill Shankly
long sleeved joe

Postby Owzat » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:49 am

Sadly the most talented players also tend to be primadonas so at some point something has to give. Half the problem with the Holland team is the players are so talented individually that it affects their "team". Kluivert and Van Nistelrooy alledgedly not talking is one instance, both brilliant players who can't/won't get along. I think you need to have a balance of hard workers and talented players who are prepared to work, an absence of either will weaken any team
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:22 pm

Dam it, we missed out, dam you Houllier.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:20 am

I doubt Houllier even considered it and I can't say I'm that disappointed we didn't sign him, I'd have been more disappointed if we hadn't got Kewell or Houllier had sold Owen or Gerrard
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion