Karim benzema - What a player

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:17 pm

I've been tracking Karim Benzema, of Lyon, for some time.

I haven't seen much of him play but his statistics this season have been extremely impressive and there's growing chatter about him on the web and in newspapers.

Last night I watched the Rangers Lyon game and he was superb. At 19 he is already physically impressive with exceptional speed. However, its the arrogance with which he plays and his fantastic ball control that really took me aback. He terrorized Rangers all night and scored twice. He played a lot on the left, drifting infield to attack just like Thierry Henry's free role at Arsenal.

I thought last night that this guy was truly a star in the making. I know we have our own wonder in Torres and I'm extremely happy with Fernando, but Benzema looked a player of potentially similar ilk.

I read a couple of weeks ago that Schuster of Madrid has his eye on both Benzema and his team mate Fred and no doubt plenty of other suitors will soon start to circle about him. I know we have Torres but it pains me that over the years we have been consistently beaten to the continent's best young talent by the likes of Man UTD (Ronaldo, Nani), Arsenal (Van Pierse), Chelsea (Robben, Cech), Juventus (Trezeguet) and in the case of Kaka, Milan. After watching him last night I'd love to see him in a red shirt: he and Torres (if they clicked) would be frightening.

Thoughts?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:49 pm

He was very impressive last night.  Fast and strong, which normally means succes in the Premiership.  This s the first time I have seen him so I don't know whether he was just playing out of his skin or this is his normal game. 

Looked good though, him and Torres would be scary, but Torres and virtually any decent forward is a scary prospect right now.   :D
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby puroresu » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:53 pm

JBG wrote:I've been tracking Karim Benzema, of Lyon, for some time.

I haven't seen much of him play but his statistics this season have been extremely impressive and there's growing chatter about him on the web and in newspapers.

Last night I watched the Rangers Lyon game and he was superb. At 19 he is already physically impressive with exceptional speed. However, its the arrogance with which he plays and his fantastic ball control that really took me aback. He terrorized Rangers all night and scored twice. He played a lot on the left, drifting infield to attack just like Thierry Henry's free role at Arsenal.

I thought last night that this guy was truly a star in the making. I know we have our own wonder in Torres and I'm extremely happy with Fernando, but Benzema looked a player of potentially similar ilk.

I read a couple of weeks ago that Schuster of Madrid has his eye on both Benzema and his team mate Fred and no doubt plenty of other suitors will soon start to circle about him. I know we have Torres but it pains me that over the years we have been consistently beaten to the continent's best young talent by the likes of Man UTD (Ronaldo, Nani), Arsenal (Van Pierse), Chelsea (Robben, Cech), Juventus (Trezeguet) and in the case of Kaka, Milan. After watching him last night I'd love to see him in a red shirt: he and Torres (if they clicked) would be frightening.

Thoughts?

Yes been watching him for a while now.  Last season he was v good and Henry thinks he has everything. It was no surprise that when he was injured the goals would dry up for lyon.  His v good and i think in the summer some clubs will come sniffing around but unless somebody offers something huge Lyon will not let him go just yet.  He shouldn't leave yet.  His only 20 and and 2 - 3 years in Lique 1 will be good for him. 

Ben Arfa is another Lyon kid who looks v v good.  This season with Malouda gone he now plays on a regular basis. 

I must say France really get there youth development spot on!!!
puroresu

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:05 pm

Yeah he was some player, especially for a 19 year old.

Congratulations to the Scottish FA for giving Rangers the weekend off... what a waste of time! :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:48 pm

stmichael wrote:Yeah he was some player, especially for a 19 year old.

Congratulations to the Scottish FA for giving Rangers the weekend off... what a waste of time! :laugh:

did u watch the match?

it was ALL rangers, they should have scored 2 or 3... then lyon at the end got a couple on the break.

they gave it a good go, to say it was  waste to give them the weekend off is just mean
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:00 pm

dawson99 wrote:
stmichael wrote:Yeah he was some player, especially for a 19 year old.

did u watch the match?

it was ALL rangers, they should have scored 2 or 3... then lyon at the end got a couple on the break.

they gave it a good go, to say it was  waste to give them the weekend off is just mean

yeah maybe it was a bit harsh :D

yeah the scoreline flattered lyon but they were by far the better side in terms of quality. junihno ran the show in the first half and then faded a bit second half, yet still hit the bar with a great free kick. you would expect rangers to have a lot of the ball as they're at home but there's no point having a lot of the ball if you do nothing with it. the lyon keeper (who was shocking by the way) didn't have to make a serious save.

ok that darcheville miss was a shocker but rangers can have no complaints. they were beaten by a far better side.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:25 pm

For a team with such a height advantage, Rangers' set pieces last night were absolutely abyssmal.  Two or three decent balls into the box probably would have got them the goal they needed but they consistently hit the first man.

On Benzima, he looked pacey and powerful throughout.  It seemed as though it wouldn't be his night when he spurned the 1 on 1 chance he had but then he stuck two away nicely.  First I'd seen of the lad but he clearly can play a bit.

BTW, laughed my a.rse off at the end to see Baros come on.  He's gone for the helmet-head look these days.  He looks like one of them Lego people now! :D

Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:27 pm

BTW, just admiring St. Mick's new sig.  Look at the state of those Marseille kits!  They deserved to be mullered for wearing something not even Sonny Crockett would be caught dead in. :no

:laugh:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:30 pm

Bad Bob wrote:BTW, just admiring St. Mick's new sig.  Look at the state of those Marseille kits!  They deserved to be mullered for wearing something not even Sonny Crockett would be caught dead in. :no

Match this shirt that my Spanish archrivals designed as a really innovative, modern and cool shirt to celebrate their 100 years of miserable life.

They had to retire the shirt in 2 weeks because their own fans were fuming and all the country was laughing!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Sabre wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:BTW, just admiring St. Mick's new sig.  Look at the state of those Marseille kits!  They deserved to be mullered for wearing something not even Sonny Crockett would be caught dead in. :no

Match this shirt that my Spanish archrivals designed as a really innovative, modern and cool shirt to celebrate their 100 years of miserable life.

They had to retire the shirt in 2 weeks because their own fans were fuming and all the country was laughing!

Mate, that's not a football strip, that's a crime scene!  :laugh:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:29 pm

He is some player JBG, He has huge potential and definitely worth a look.

If we are looking for a new striker, then we should get him to pair up with Torres.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:41 pm

if we were to get anyone from Lyon i would go for Ben Arfa he looks a great prospect on the left wing, maybe if Kewell cant keep himself fit then he would be an good alternattive
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby YoOm » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:16 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:if we were to get anyone from Lyon i would go for Ben Arfa he looks a great prospect on the left wing, maybe if Kewell cant keep himself fit then he would be an good alternattive

And finally Marseille got Ben arfa for 12 billions euros, and for now it is not a great success, he can do incredible things with the ball but not enough often. Moreover, his tactic knowledge is not really good.

About Benzema he has capacity to become one of the best striker in the world, but his head is as large as a basketball  :grinning: and that's a problem
YoOm

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion