Jennings betting investigation - Guilty ?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:07 pm

Motherwell's Steve Jennings is said to be stunned by the suggestion of betting irregularities surrounding his red card against Hearts on Tuesday.

And Gordon Young, interim manager at Fir Park, is convinced Jennings will be cleared of any wrongdoing.

"I spoke to him last night to get his side of events and he's completely flabbergasted by it," said Young.

"The first and foremost thing is for the player to be exonerated. Everyone at the club is 100% behind him."

The Association of British Bookmakers is investigating the number of bets placed on a Motherwell dismissal during their 2-1 home defeat to Hearts.

And the Scottish Football Association and Scottish Premier League will also look into the matter.

Jennings, who had already been booked, was shown a straight red card for foul and abusive language aimed at referee Stevie O'Reilly late in the game.

Click to play
Click to play
Jennings sent off by ref O'Reilly
"The player apologised to the referee afterwards," said Young. "It was heat of the moment stuff.

"Referees have got a hard job to do. The players understand that.

"But they are looking for a bit of fairness and the verbal spat is not aimed at any individual. There's just a genuine concern to win the match.

"What I've said to the players is that we maintain a level of dignity and stay focused at all times."

Jennings' midfield team-mate Chris Humphrey revealed that a sense of injustice was widespread among the Motherwell players during Tuesday's loss.

"To be honest, we were all shouting at the ref," he said. "We felt that we deserved some things and they [Hearts] got what they deserved."

While convinced of Jennings' innocence, Humphrey was critical of the way the betting investigation story has been handled.

"Is there no way they can do it quietly first?" he asked.

"It's everywhere in the press and it's on him now. I don't think that is fair.

"But there is no way they are going to find him guilty because he's not like that."

Following his red card, Jennings will be suspended for Saturday's visit to Aberdeen.

Only just seen he is a scouser isnt he ?
I reckon he is well involved personally, what's peoples thoughts ?
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:45 pm

The cynic would say "no smoke without fire".

I'm not that cynical but it does seem weird that enough money was placed on a red card on that game (an obscure bet), and the red card materialised.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:52 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:The cynic would say "no smoke without fire".

I'm not that cynical but it does seem weird that enough money was placed on a red card on that game (an obscure bet), and the red card materialised.

for swearing as well when your already on a yellow, hmmmm
Ben Patrick

Postby metalhead » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:44 pm

here comes the conspiracy theorists  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:34 pm

metalhead wrote:here comes the conspiracy theorists  :D

seriously though, who would bet on a player being sent off in a motherwell match  :D
Ben Patrick

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:Only just seen he is a scouser isnt he ?

Why because he's a Scouser ... or just dishonest  ???
I don't quite get what relevance  his birthplace is in regards to him being guilty or innocent
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:07 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:

I don't quite get what relevance  his birthplace is in regards to him being guilty or innocent

knew you would jump on that.

because of the previous football betting scandals involving scouse players for accrington stanley and even a lad i know well who was playing for Marine and threw the match and bet on it.

I wasnt insinuating all scousers are dishonest, as i say i just know of a few very recent previous betting scams involving scousers.
Its a nap for me that he is involved or knew about it at the very least.
Ben Patrick

Postby Ciggy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:20 pm

RAWKS been offline since last night because of this.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Ciggy wrote:RAWKS been offline since last night because of this.

how come  ???
Ben Patrick

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:44 pm

It didn't sound like that Ben ...I too know a good few Lads who are grafters  and it has to be said most are Scouser's ,that said I also know a fair few who are from your side of the water
If I took your post the way it read ,then you can hardly blame me jumping to conclusions mate
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:54 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:

knew you would jump on that.

because of the previous football betting scandals involving scouse players for accrington stanley and even a lad i know well who was playing for Marine and threw the match and bet on it.

I wasnt insinuating all scousers are dishonest, as i say i just know of a few very recent previous betting scams involving scousers.
Its a nap for me that he is involved or knew about it at the very least.

It didn't sound like that Ben ...I too know a good few Lads who are grafters  and most are Scouser's ,that said I also know a fair few who are from your side of the water
Its just if you have never had to stop yourself walking into a room after listening to your office colleagues perform a total character assassination on you specifically because of where you were born  ,then you wont have the first clue how damaging stereotypes can be in preventing you climbing the ladder .....

our side of the water is just as bad, everyone is always wanting to make a few quid.
If that's the kind of employers you have or have had then i would recommend a change mate.

As i said the post wasnt intended as a dig at scousers, i have already explained since what i meant by it.
Ben Patrick

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:13 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:our side of the water is just as bad, everyone is always wanting to make a few quid.
If that's the kind of employers you have or have had then i would recommend a change mate.

As i said the post wasnt intended as a dig at scousers, i have already explained since what i meant by it.

I've amended my post Ben ... I was talking about when I was younger trying to make my way in life .... I only answer to one boss now ,and I don't mean the Wife ..... so no problem mate
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:43 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:our side of the water is just as bad, everyone is always wanting to make a few quid.

I've amended my post Ben ... I was talking about when I was younger trying to make my way in life .... I only answer to one boss now ,and I don't mean the Wife ..... so no problem mate

:D

We all answer to our women mate.
Ben Patrick

Postby metalhead » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:37 am

Ben Patrick wrote:
metalhead wrote:here comes the conspiracy theorists  :D

seriously though, who would bet on a player being sent off in a motherwell match  :D

anyone with half a brain and nothing to lose :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion