Henry - Big games get to him?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Thu May 18, 2006 9:25 am

Henry missed a few chances he'd score in a normal league game but it reminded me of the stack of chances that he missed against us in the 2001 cup final. Owen got two and scored both. He hasn't scored in any of the 3 FA cup finals for Arsenal, the UEFA cup final, CL final, and for France he has done nothing in a world cup (hasn't scored a single goal - I think.) or the European championships.

We all know he is great week in and week out in the league but I don't think he is a big game player like Owen, Zidane and a few others.

Don't be afraid to doubt a player with great skill (which he has)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu May 18, 2006 9:55 am

I still dont doubt him not at all.

He is a big game player, now I cant remember him to much in those other finals, but last night he missed a couple of decent chances, tell me a player who converts everytime he shoots. Not only that but I watched Arsenals game at R.Madrid (tell me if Im wrong but thats a big game) he was outstanding for them that night and his goal was sublime. Last night though his job was made a whole lot harder playing upfront alone.

I will say though Owen is the more likey to pop up with a goal when your team needs it, Owen alot of times goes missing during games and you wouldnt realise he's playing until he pops up and nicks a goal.
Henry is the complete opposite, more of a team play more flair,pace, skill and workrate IMHO, but lacks that natural predatory goal threat that Owen has.
66-1112520797

Postby Big Niall » Thu May 18, 2006 10:06 am

my post was not a "jumping on him for missing some chances last night" post.

It goes back over many finals and a number of championships for France and he hasn't scored.

Remember all the ones he missed against us in 2001 final? too many big games for it to be a coincidence.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu May 18, 2006 11:52 am

Big Niall wrote:my post was not a "jumping on him for missing some chances last night" post.

It goes back over many finals and a number of championships for France and he hasn't scored.

Remember all the ones he missed against us in 2001 final? too many big games for it to be a coincidence.

To be fair the only thing that stopped him getting a goal in the 2001 final was Henchoz's hand :laugh:

I don't go along with the whole 'Henry isn't a big game player'.  France have never played to his strengths - they played him on the wing and even now when he plays up front, they play a slow-tempo build-up game that just doesn't suit him. 

He has proven in many important league, cup and CL games for Arsenal that he is a match-winner in ther big games.  It didn't happen for him last night, but he admitted himself that by the time the chance came to him last night he hardly had the energy to kick the ball - playing up front on your own in a side with 10 men isn't easy.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu May 18, 2006 12:07 pm

Too many finals for Arsenal without a goal. Too little on the big international stage.

If he goes though, I will miss seeing him on match of the day though as he is class.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri May 19, 2006 7:41 pm

Well he is staying :p
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 1234ram » Sat May 20, 2006 1:49 pm

true true
he should off left and gone 2 barca
he soo thick
iff he had used his mind
the spanish econmay
they have 35percent less tax there soo in the long run it would have been a great  move for henry
he didnt use his mind
1234ram

Postby dawson99 » Sat May 20, 2006 1:51 pm

he didnt go for money, he stayed for love of the club, that deserves a lot more respect than 35% tax breaks!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon May 22, 2006 1:12 pm

1234ram wrote:he didnt use his mind

something you've often been accused of I'm sure.   :laugh:
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon May 22, 2006 1:26 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
1234ram wrote:he didnt use his mind

something you've often been accused of I'm sure.   :laugh:

:D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue May 23, 2006 4:25 am

I thought it was common knowledge that Henry bottles it big-time in the matches that really count.

He's notorious for it.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue May 23, 2006 7:44 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:I thought it was common knowledge that Henry bottles it big-time in the matches that really count.

He's notorious for it.

Maybe in your head  :D
66-1112520797

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue May 23, 2006 5:14 pm

I think its totally valid the fact that someone has pointed out Henry struggles in the MAJOR games, eg finals and international tournaments.
He may have been unfortunate with the handballs against us in 2001 but he missed other chances and should of put the game out of sight before Owen's contribution.
He may of had a fantastic season this season and his goal against Real Madrid was fantastic and all his own making, but the end of the day in the big game, his bottle went, he might of performed well running with the ball and his all round play was decent, but he missed 2 one on ones and they are chances that he would of buried usually, that is the sign of a choker.
You can say they wouldnt of been there if he had produced in other big games, but in the biggest of all it looks like nerves get the better of him.
I am not saying that almost every club in the world wouldnt want him, because he is one of the best i have ever seen, but some players step up in the biggest games, Henry doesnt.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Sun May 28, 2006 1:11 pm

Big Niall wrote:He hasn't scored in any of the 3 FA cup finals for Arsenal, the UEFA cup final, CL final, and for France he has done nothing in a world cup (hasn't scored a single goal - I think.) or the European championships.

He definatley scored at least 2 or 3 in France 98.

I think perhaps in he's early Arsenal days he had that reputation, of bottling it in big occcasions. But he certainly has shaken that now. I remember a few good goals against Chelsea when it mattered, but he certainly plays well especally this season when he has seems to of come of age in the big hampions league games.

People also said this about Gerrard last season, mostly when we came up against Chelsea, but everytime we have beaten them he has been key. Him along with Garcia are Liverpools big game players.

Some also commented about Henry's excellent work rate, but I have a mate who regularly goes to the Arsenal games, but he said to that he gets a lot of stick from the Arsenal fans for his lack of work rate funny enough.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Mon May 29, 2006 7:08 am

Henry is lazy, the same way that Cisse is about chasing balls that generally have no meaning. I think this is what Arsenal fans complain about as he doesnt put that much pressure on the back 4 when they pass it around.  But then remember the Gerrard back pass goal this season, maybe hes trying to lure people into a false sense of security  :)
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion