G14 & salary caps - Where do you stand?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby AussieKopite » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:27 pm

On the Fox Sports website it mentions how the British Sports Minister is meeting with a few of his European counterparts as well as UEFA & FIFA at the World Cup draw.

One plan he hopes to consider is G14's (18 of Europe's most powerful clubs - Founding clubs include Liverpool & Manchester United) idea of a salary cap. The idea is that clubs can only spend 70% of their turnover. Which would limit Malcolm Glazer and Roman Abrahamovich's effect on the game as they wouldn't be able to wield as much of their purchased power. Rio Ferdinand's wages have been given as an example.

I know personally out of my experiences in Australian sport that a salary cap can assist in evening out the competition quite a bit. However, in what is undoubtably the toughest and the best Rugby League competition in the world there is a problem of players seeing how much money is on offer in the English Super League, so caps can cause problems.

If Europe introduces a salary cap I personally doubt that the Confederations of South America, North & Central Americas and Asia could still outbid the European clubs for the best players so I don't think player leaving Europe will be a problem. I feel that a cap could be a positive thing for the game.

I know that footballing magazine FourFourTwo also floated an idea of a salary cap as well.

As Liverpool is a member of G14 who put forth this plan, what do the fans think? Is a salary cap a good idea?
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:29 pm

I hope the British Minister realises that Chelsea are monoploising the EPL and a salary cap is the only way to stop it. I also hopes hes not a Chelsea fan. LOL Good post mate.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:40 pm

Mate, salary caps have been discussed for footbal for quite a while, so even if it isn't right, its still a legitimate topic. I also asked you what you would suggest as a better news source, did you not read it? I realise you have been in this forum for quite a while so I'm choosing my words carefully, however I ask that you show just a little respect.

There are too many in this forum who spend all their time tearing down other people. Whether its because they have nothing decent or creative to add or not, I think basic respect needs to be used.
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:25 pm

Salary caps are certainly a workable fix to the current growing problem of two few clubs having the cream of the worlds footballing talent but as to whether it is workable especially with the bleedin' beaureaucrats in brussels sticking their ore in. I and many others would definately be in favour of it but the only way that it could wor is if it was put in place either right across europe or the world to make it a level playing field. Another option could be to put a cap on the amount of money a team can spend per season or transfer window but not based on their bank balance.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:33 am

RUSHIE#9 wrote:Salary caps are certainly a workable fix to the current growing problem of two few clubs having the cream of the worlds footballing talent but as to whether it is workable especially with the bleedin' beaureaucrats in brussels sticking their ore in. I and many others would definately be in favour of it but the only way that it could wor is if it was put in place either right across europe or the world to make it a level playing field. Another option could be to put a cap on the amount of money a team can spend per season or transfer window but not based on their bank balance.

I also wonder whether they should put a cap on transfer fees as well as wages.
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:57 pm

AussieKopite wrote:Mate, salary caps have been discussed for footbal for quite a while, so even if it isn't right, its still a legitimate topic. I also asked you what you would suggest as a better news source, did you not read it? I realise you have been in this forum for quite a while so I'm choosing my words carefully, however I ask that you show just a little respect.

There are too many in this forum who spend all their time tearing down other people. Whether its because they have nothing decent or creative to add or not, I think basic respect needs to be used.

Why are your knickers in a twist mate?  Read his post again, he hasn't slammed you at all.  You've been drinking too much Fosters I think!
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion