Alardyce for engerland - Blimey we ain't that desperate are we ?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby zarababe » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:00 pm

Reports suggest that 'big' Sam has said that when Sven leaves he wants the Engerland job. Now obviously who gets the job eventually will be down to the FA.. but really.. can Sam be an Engerland manager. Or am I denying the existance of a managerial talent, which granted has delivered miracles for Bolton at club level, but remains unproven in Europe and at the highest levels of club football.

Should there be a competency list drawn-up for an Engrerland manager which goes something like:

Must:

1) Be a top two finisher in the League
2) Have won some major honours
3) Manged in European club competition consistently
4) Not chew chewing gum  :D
5) Be committed and passionate... about football and winning
6) Not have affairs  :D
7) Demonstrate and have a proven track record of technical and tactical ability

That would rule out quite a few. But I do think that experience of managing in Euro club competition and a track record of achievement should be high on the list, cos of the prima donnas to be managed, and the technical knowledge and preparation required to play in international football.

Even the so-called 'minnow' nations, will give it a go. There are very few push overs in international football. Engerland especially will not come up against many so.. being technically aware and preapred, with the right "mentality" (quote Benitez  :D ) is criucial if our so-called 'world class' players are to perform as a 'team' and not a bunch of overpayed,  have-it-all individuals..
Last edited by zarababe on Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:18 pm

Some of them points are well sound for example, 'no affairs!' the manager should be commited to the cause however, should be allowed to have is own life also. Managing in europe i dont think should be a necessity.

I think the likes of 'big sam' and 'curbs' would be good managers because they have turned unfashionable teams into premiership regulars which to me is just as good as winning silverware with a top team in my view.

Also, in big sam's case, unlike sven, he plays his side to their strengths with v.positive results. imagine what he could do with Gerrard, Becks and co. !?

So to round it off, i think the qualities of an England manager should be.

1) Tactical nous (have a plan b,c and d!)
2) Balls
3) Passion for his team
4) Done either of the following in club football :

1. Turned a team into champions league/european regulars.
2. Consistently defies the odds with an unfashionable team.
3. Winning Silverware.

If we have a manager that ticks those boxes, then we will have an england manager worth shouting about, and I think 'Big Sam' could be worth the risk.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:59 pm

MIKE BASSET HERE WE COME
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsforever » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:37 pm

Alan curbishly for england manager! :)
The rafalution begins.. Happy Days!!
redsforever

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:41 pm

i don't subscribe to this "the england manager must be english" theory. you get the best man for the job, simple as that. it shouldn't matter where they come from.

i'd go for gus hiddink personally. the guy's had success everywhere he's managed, from psv to south korea.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:54 pm

stmichael wrote:i don't subscribe to this "the england manager must be english" theory. you get the best man for the job, simple as that. it shouldn't matter where they come from.

i'd go for gus hiddink personally. the guy's had success everywhere he's managed, from psv to south korea.

Has he not just taken on the australia job?

Take your point though, good manager
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:39 pm

Pearce should be the next manager.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby neilE » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:40 pm

agree with the idea of setting parameters - but no English manager, with the possible exception of Mclaren, would fit mine.
1. - Must be capable of dealing with prima donna types (which excludes managers of unfashionable clubs, who's reputation comes from getting the best out of ordinary players)
2. - Must have experience of international and/or champions league, and been reasonably successful
3 - Must have enough personality to inspire world class footballers

McLaren fits only because he's assistant now - and if we aren't good enough now, then he's tarred with the same brush as Sven. So the next manager, for me has to be foreign - Hiddink is a good shout - his contract with Australia ends after the World Cup next summer, so we could have him if needed. Right now there is no-one who is an obvious replacement, so our best shot is staying with Sven - even though he fails on requirement 3!
neilE

Postby liverpoolrich » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:44 am

zarababe wrote:Must:

1.top 2 finisher in what league if your on about the premier they were both foreign i wnat a english manager

2.won some major honours as a player or manager ???

3.alex ferguson are you talking about

4. rules out fergie but then who

5. we all saw wright almost in tears after the n.ireland game maybe hes the man (i said him from the start)

6.not have affairs thats just stupid so is not chew gum but i had something to sya about that

7.uve lost me on that one

not including number 4 i think ur talking about alex ferguson
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby stmichael » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:04 am

A.B. wrote:Pearce should be the next manager.

can somebody please explain to me what credentials stuart pearce has to be england manager? ok the guy's doing well at man city but he's only been in the job five minutes. having "passion" isn't enough when it comes to international management.

that's why i laugh when people mention the likes of bruce, mclaren, allardyce, curbishley. they've kept mediocre sides in the premiership on shoestring budgets and consolidated and all of a sudden their international management material. i heard allardyce saying yesterday how he wanted the job when sven goes. well great. considering how rubbish we are at the moment i can't wait to see us playing long ball under him. :glare:

you get the best person for the job, simple as that. i don't care where they come from.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby liverpoolrich » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:02 pm

stmichael wrote:can somebody please explain to me what credentials stuart pearce has to be england manager?

he was arguably the best passionate player when he played for england he would do anything to see england win the world cup and i think him with only a few others could lead us to glory come germany 2006
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby Afroman » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:22 pm

I reckon Jose and Sven swap jobs  :nod
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:53 pm

liverpoolrich wrote:
zarababe wrote:Must:

1.top 2 finisher in what league if your on about the premier they were both foreign i wnat a english manager

2.won some major honours as a player or manager ???

3.alex ferguson are you talking about

4. rules out fergie but then who

5. we all saw wright almost in tears after the n.ireland game maybe hes the man (i said him from the start)

6.not have affairs thats just stupid so is not chew gum but i had something to sya about that

7.uve lost me on that one

not including number 4 i think ur talking about alex ferguson

my laffing faces suggest I'm joking.. re: chewing gum etc.. as for the credentials.. anyone who has not been successful or has a proven track record at a managerial level, e.g. Benitez has no track record as a player but is respected cos of a proven managerial ability in Spain and hopefully in Engerland too.

I say a man who can tactically lead Engerland and get the players to perfrom as a team, will have a proven track record of achievement anhy way cos te FA will not appoint come small bod .. and for me that will not be an English man..

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:52 pm

To me there is no obvious candidate out there.I beg to differ on the English managers nationality.HE SHOULD BE ENGLISH FULL STOP.I take the Scotland revival as an example.Stuart Pierce could be in time (4 years at least) he has all the right attributes i like in a manager .
If i had to pick someone it would have to be Hoddle again,i think if he had been given more time 1st time around i think we really could have acheived something.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:38 pm

Bob Paisely shuld have been an Engerland Manager ..

Stewart Pearce looks like he could be a good manager .. that was a grt result against the Mancs.. let see what happens.. buit in the near future :( dunno

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion