Scholes
15%
Lampard
5%
Gerrard
80%

Total votes : 20

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:33 am

Kharhaz » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:51 am wrote:You can compare Lampard with Scholes, but to compare Gerrard with these? No, simply, no.

Gerrard can play any position, and has, without complaint. When England had no left sided player, Gerrard filled the role. Whenever Lampard plays/played for England Gerrard had to adjust to a defensive position.

To compare any and I mean ANY English midfielder to Gerrard is impossible. Gerrard is so good he could play anywhere, he wouldn't complain, he wouldn't make excuses he would get on with the job in hand.

Gerrard is the utter complete midfielder. Scholes isn't, Lampard isn't, Carrick isn't, Parker never was, not even Gascoigne.

Gerrard simply IS.

Case Closed.

Look, Gerrard and Scholes are of a similar level, but completely different. If someone said Gerrard, one said Scholes I could understand both. I lean to towards Scholes, the lad was a complete magician and the main reason United have had twenty years of dominance.

BUT...

To compare Lampard to either is quite frankly ridiculous. Lampard is supreme at scoring goals from midfield. Untouchable, but he lacks in so many other areas, hence Englands struggle in that area. Scholes and Gerrard don't lack. Scholes is the most intelligent player EVER for me, he had everything except speed, which he didn't really need... where as Gerrard's strength was based on his ability to get about the pitch and his physique. Scholes is probably the most unique. He was better than Xavi and scored more goals... Xavi was one of the best in the world a few years ago. Every player thats ever played with or against Scholes will say the same things about him, it isn't coincidence unfortunately. Hence him still being a decent midfielder at the age or 39.

Just a massive shame the lad was, bred, born and raised as a Manc.

One of the best players we'll ever see.

Unfortunately. :down:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:55 am

StuYesThatStu » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:48 pm wrote:
JC_81 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 pm wrote:You're hardly going to get an impartial opinion posting this on a LFC forum and for me Gerrard's the best of the three.

There's an argument to be made for Scholes on the basis of his decision making, ability to dictate play and arguably he made the most impact of the three at International level.  I just don't ever think he was the best player at United in any of the teams he played in and the fact he played in great sides consistently over the years made it easier for him to look good, more so than Gerrard definitely and Lampard to some extent. 

There's also an argument for Lampard based on his goalscoring ability from midfield, but he's never dominated a game in his life and is the poorest of the three at International level.  I'd have him third of the three overall.

Gerrard had it all in his prime - goalscoring, passing ability, tackling, decision making, pace, strength, leadership, attitude, big game impact.  Greatest ever LFC player for me.

According to every player thats ever played with Scholes, he's the best player they've ever played with.

Even van Persie said it last year when Scholes was 84 and needed a walking stick.

The lads one of the best players I've ever seen. Played in a two man midfield, not a three, goalscoring record was exceptional and had everything bar pace. People who say he couldn't tackle don't know what they're talking about, he was an excellent tackler, but a very cynical and clever player who knew when to take a booking. He was occasionally rash, but to say he "coudn't tackle" is compete bollox.

Anyone that puts Lampard in the same sentance, for me hasn't got a f*cking clue. Gerrard, its debatable, for me, Scholes edges it.

The main reason United were as successful as they were during his career.

I presume that Carragher's thoughts on the matter means he know f*ck all about football as well?

You seriously have a problem with differing opinions Stu.

How tall are you? I'm thinking small man complex.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:03 am

I lost respect for Carra when he made those comments, anyone who says Lampard is better than Scholes needs a slap round the head in my opinion. Scholes and Gerrard are two of the best English players ever and are highly respected on the continent. Scholes never got the limelight because of Beckham and Giggs but he was Man Utds best player in the late 90’s early 00’s. Lampard is not in that class, he scores a ton of goals but he doesn’t have the abilities of Gerrard and Scholes, not even close.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:49 am

SouthCoastShankly » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:55 am wrote:
StuYesThatStu » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:48 pm wrote:
JC_81 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 pm wrote:You're hardly going to get an impartial opinion posting this on a LFC forum and for me Gerrard's the best of the three.

There's an argument to be made for Scholes on the basis of his decision making, ability to dictate play and arguably he made the most impact of the three at International level.  I just don't ever think he was the best player at United in any of the teams he played in and the fact he played in great sides consistently over the years made it easier for him to look good, more so than Gerrard definitely and Lampard to some extent. 

There's also an argument for Lampard based on his goalscoring ability from midfield, but he's never dominated a game in his life and is the poorest of the three at International level.  I'd have him third of the three overall.

Gerrard had it all in his prime - goalscoring, passing ability, tackling, decision making, pace, strength, leadership, attitude, big game impact.  Greatest ever LFC player for me.

According to every player thats ever played with Scholes, he's the best player they've ever played with.

Even van Persie said it last year when Scholes was 84 and needed a walking stick.

The lads one of the best players I've ever seen. Played in a two man midfield, not a three, goalscoring record was exceptional and had everything bar pace. People who say he couldn't tackle don't know what they're talking about, he was an excellent tackler, but a very cynical and clever player who knew when to take a booking. He was occasionally rash, but to say he "coudn't tackle" is compete bollox.

Anyone that puts Lampard in the same sentance, for me hasn't got a f*cking clue. Gerrard, its debatable, for me, Scholes edges it.

The main reason United were as successful as they were during his career.

I presume that Carragher's thoughts on the matter means he know f*ck all about football as well?

You seriously have a problem with differing opinions Stu.

How tall are you? I'm thinking small man complex.

:laugh:

Really?
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:04 am

Bloater?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:23 pm

You couldn't be more wrong.

Image of Reina, only slightly taller.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:31 pm

StuYesThatStu » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:23 pm wrote:

Got it, but without the accent right?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:50 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:31 pm wrote:
StuYesThatStu » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:23 pm wrote:

Got it, but without the accent right?

Stronger accent than Gerrard, weaker accent than Carragher :;):
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:24 pm

for versatility alone I would go for Gerrard first.

However, I'm disappointed in Carra's analysis, got it completely wrong and Scholes is a far better player than Lampard.

1.Gerrard
2.Scholes

3.Lampard
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:32 pm

Lampard not even 3rd mate IMO
Benny The Noon

Postby metalhead » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:48 pm

Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:32 pm wrote:Lampard not even 3rd mate IMO

Trying to think of an English midfielder who is better than Lampard (Other than Scholes and Gerrard of course), maybe Jack Wilshere?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:27 pm

Scholes the better midfielder, Gerrard the better all round player. The reason why Gerrard edges it for me is because -in his prime- Gerrard could carry the ball up the pitch, and score that all important goal that wins you the big game. Scholes could dictate the play and win you most games by doing just that, he obviously benefited from having some of the best attacking players in the world playing alongside him and taking care of the scoring aspect of it (he scored his fair share of goals too).  Gerrard is also a better tackler, dribbler, finisher, crosser. He's faster, bigger, stronger, better in the air, and that makes him more versatile than Scholes. 

That said, what Scholes had which many players today lack is that ability to completely control a game of football by simply being the most intelligent player on the pitch. The only players I'd put in the same category today are Pirlo and Xavi.

As for Lampard, I think he's better than many give him credit for. He's obviously quite some distance behind the 2 in terms of natural ability but you have to respect the man for accomplishing as much as he has (in terms of titles and goalscoring record) given his ability. He probably works on his game more than any other player around and all that hard work has deservedly put his name up there with the likes of Gerrard and Scholes in conversations about the best English midfielders in the past 15 years or so.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:10 am

I'm still convinced that Scholes wouldn't have been praised as much as he is if he didn't have strong players around him. Having said that, Manchester probably wouldn't have worked without him, so no disrespect to him, he was a phenomenal player, one of the most intelligent I've ever seen. Bringing him back after he retired says a lot about how much they needed him.

But I can't believe how much Lampard is being underrated here. He had no problems with different players or different managers. Always was phenomenal in the final third. Was a part of most of the goals Chelsea scored. Scored quite a few himself too, Chelsea's leading goalscorer I believe? He might not have been better than Scholes in terms of ability but his contribution to the games he played was massive.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:13 am

damjan193 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:10 pm wrote:I'm still convinced that Scholes wouldn't have been praised as much as he is if he didn't have strong players around him. Having said that, Manchester probably wouldn't have worked without him, so no disrespect to him, he was a phenomenal player, one of the most intelligent I've ever seen. Bringing him back after he retired says a lot about how much they needed him.

But I can't believe how much Lampard is being underrated here. He had no problems with different players or different managers. Always was phenomenal in the final third. Was a part of most of the goals Chelsea scored. Scored quite a few himself too, Chelsea's leading goalscorer I believe? He might not have been better than Scholes in terms of ability but his contribution to the games he played was massive.

Good post, especially regarding Fwank.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:15 am

metalhead » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:48 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:32 pm wrote:Lampard not even 3rd mate IMO

Trying to think of an English midfielder who is better than Lampard (Other than Scholes and Gerrard of course), maybe Jack Wilshere?

You'll be hard pressed to find an English midfielder (in today's game) of Lampard's quality to come third.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football Related Polls