first team - good centre mid
15%
squad player - good cover across mid
70%
not good enough
12%

Total votes : 33

Postby barnesrush » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:55 pm

judging by rafa's comments on danny it seems he is impressed so far especially with his 2 assists for cisse last night. ive always thought that danny could be the creative player weve needed since gary mac left but have often seen much criticism of him on this site and many of you see him as just a useful squad player.

am i just too optomistic or could he be just the player to feed the best front line in England???
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby XSD » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:57 pm

He's a good player and I think we didn't always see the best of him under Houllier. I think he has the potential to be a Scholes type of player in our midfield, but it's premature to say whether he deserves a 1st team place at the moment.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:07 pm

i always thought-right from the beginning-he was the only player who could play the old fashioned through ball, apart from litmanen (wont even start on that one!!).
he never gets credit for his tactical intelligence and workrate, cos people see him giving the ball away alot and home in on that.   he does do that too much. if he could stop that i see no reason why he shouldnt challenge for a first team place, without being one of the first names on the teamsheet. what benitez said of him highlighted murphy's qualities-which often get overlooked.
maybe we'll get an extra gear from murphy under benitez style of play.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby madred » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:20 pm

To be honest we have lots to thank GH for because he was the one who still believed in Danny's ability when supporters often got on his back. Danny performances have not been to good over the past season but he is still a quality performer who i believe will shine under Rafa! His link up play with Cisse was class last night and im hoping he finds that bit more consistency which im sure he will.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:32 pm

the only niggling question i find myself asking about the murph is "is he championship quality?"  you know, would he get in the teams of arsehead and manure?  the answer is always no. he'd probably beone of the best players at birmingham or newcastle.
i just dont know, its a mystery with murphy.  he does cause some debate though!!
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby madred » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:37 pm

I certainly think the boo-boys got to Danny's head at Anfield. One ****** pass from and he got loads of stick. He was always singled out alot i reckon even if he was playing ok. One stray ball and that was that. Maybe the new manager can bring him new confidence now?
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenco » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:46 pm

He's got the footballing brain, he just lacks pace.
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fritzylfc » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:47 pm

put him on question of sport then. danny lacks the ability to last 90 mins he drifts in an out of games, no dout he s got ability, he needs to work on his fitness , :) :) :)
fritzylfc

Postby charwell » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:42 pm

I am not a Murphy fan. He takes a good pen and corner but he lacks stamina, pace and class. His ball retention is dreadful and he goes missing when he is playing badly. I would like to see us get rid of him, he is no way good enough to win us the premiership or champions league
charwell

Postby barnesrush » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:02 pm

his ball retention is as good if not better than gerrards with regard to pass completion. Stu knows the stats. :D
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:47 pm

i always thought-right from the beginning-he was the only player who could play the old fashioned through ball, apart from litmanen (wont even start on that one!!).
he never gets credit for his tactical intelligence and workrate, cos people see him giving the ball away alot and home in on that.   he does do that too much. if he could stop that i see no reason why he shouldnt challenge for a first team place, without being one of the first names on the teamsheet. what benitez said of him highlighted murphy's qualities-which often get overlooked.
maybe we'll get an extra gear from murphy under benitez style of play.

Spot on. The season before last he carried the team along with Michael Owen that season, more of that form and no-one will complain.

his ball retention is as good if not better than gerrards with regard to pass completion. Stu knows the stats.

You said it.

The point with Murphy is he's sometimes very careless, whereas Gerrard will play a 60 yard pass and give it away, Murphy will play a lazy or blind pass or one with not enough disguise on it. He's still a good player, but this is a definate fault.

he goes missing when he is playing badly

Thats simply garbage. Absoloute tosh. Thats the last thing he does. Thats part of his problem. When things aren't going his way he doesn't hide and still wants the ball and still wants to try things. Thats why he often looks alot worse than he actually is.

the only niggling question i find myself asking about the murph is "is he championship quality?"  you know, would he get in the teams of arsehead and manure?  the answer is always no. he'd probably beone of the best players at birmingham or newcastle.
i just dont know, its a mystery with murphy.  he does cause some debate though!!

Stupid post imo. He's no worse than Gary Neville, Nicky Butt, Phillip Neville, Andy Cole, Lauren, Lljunberg, Bergkamp (last year). Its a team game and TEAMS NEED players like Murphy around them. Comments like that are simply poor lad.

All in all he's a good player. Nothing special, but has his good points and is one we should definately keep. He never lets the team down and plays well when we need a big performance.

Hustler's better though. :D
115-1073096938

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:55 pm

i think people seem to forget that danny murphy was our player of the season the season before last! he was poor last season, but so were of the squad. I think players like murphy, risse and owen will get back to their old ways under the new management, they just need to rediscover their form  :)
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:56 pm

Thats the best thing ive seen you write stu(dont mean that in a bad way), theres no doubt about it, Murphy is somewhat an unsung hero.

He obviously has his faults like any other player, his mistakes just seem to be highlighted more and i reckon hes used as a scape-goat because hes not the type of player that springs to mind when talking about world class guys if you know what i mean.
Last edited by Gareth G on Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Badmao1 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:57 pm

My opinion on Danny Murphy is that i never celebrate the fact he is a Liverpool player but whenever i watch us play i never see him let us down. He's always got a creative pass or goal in him but he doesn't light up the field like the very best players do. I wouldn't want to lose him but i don't think he has a future as a first team player.
Badmao1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:03 pm

Yeah he gives the ball away and lack pace/stamina but I'm sure he's improve on those atributes with Beni as he has them training 2 twice a day :)
Last edited by Paul C on Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football Related Polls