first team - good centre mid
15%
squad player - good cover across mid
70%
not good enough
12%

Total votes : 33

Postby vlady16.1 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:05 pm

the thing is, i think the team plays better with him in there -- at the end of last season they were dead but then murphy came in and they "just looked better" -- he may not be world class but there seems to be a catalyst effect quite often -- he just seems to be in the middle of things and last night he looked real good
vlady16.1

Postby charwell » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:46 am

Murphy is no worse than Ljunberg??!!! Come off it when did Murphy ever score 15 goals in a season or create as many goals as he did. All I can say is that some of you must watch a different game to me. Murphy is nowhere near good enough to warrant a place in our side. Sentimentality does not win championships. Ask any fan outside Liverpool what they think of him - the response is  'average at best'.

Would somebody please tell me what is so good about Murphy? Everyone says 'oh yes he's slow, gives the ball away, can't tackle' etc etc but 'he's a good player.' Good player my backside.
charwell

Postby The Bench » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:53 am

For those that remember the best compliment I could give danny is Ronnie Whelan, never appreciated in his own time but revered toward the end and after his playing days.
The Bench

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:25 am

If another club in the epl signed Murphy would you be bothered ? . Would you consider him a significant threat ? .He's had some good games for us and some real stinkers . I like the lad, but when his name is NOT on the team sheet I don't miss him.  :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby begintoend » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:27 am

I agree with most of wat STU said... but better than against Lljunberg, Bergkamp... I disagree

Ljunberg is more industrious and dangerous going up in attack.
Bergkamp is master-class.

Still Murphy at best if LFC were to be a main contender, he'll be a good squad player.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:34 am

No one will miss an unsung hero.
Danny was the Liverpool second MIDFIELD-TOPSCORER in tha latest EPL under only Kewell.
He was also the first Liverpool MIDFIELD-TOPSCORER in the previous season.
That's not too bad for a non-regular up-liner.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:05 pm

danny murphy is the sort of player that every squad should have. the fact of the matter is for all his criticism he's scored 30 goals for us in the last three seasons which is a good tally for a central midfield player. the goals weren't exactly flowing from the other midfielders were they?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:17 pm

All true, and some of his goals have been vital, like I say ,I like the lad but don't miss him when he's not there . "Unsung Hero" could be a good way to describe him,if he stamped a bit more authority into his game I might start remembering him .
:)  :)  :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:31 pm

i think gerrard's rise to prominence over the last two seasons has led many fans to simply disregard danny to an extent. when the two played together a couple of seasons ago they were a great partnership.

at that time, danny was far more consistent than stevie but gerrard was much more able to produce a bit of genius to turn a game. remember "that pass" to danny at old trafford. the problem is since then gerrard has improved to such an extent that danny has looked severely limited.

still keep though.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:13 pm

Code: Select all
Murphy is no worse than Ljunberg??!!! Come off it when did Murphy ever score 15 goals in a season or create as many goals as he did. All I can say is that some of you must watch a different game to me. Murphy is nowhere near good enough to warrant a place in our side. Sentimentality does not win championships. Ask any fan outside Liverpool what they think of him - the response is  'average at best'.

Would somebody please tell me what is so good about Murphy? Everyone says 'oh yes he's slow, gives the ball away, can't tackle' etc etc but 'he's a good player.' Good player my backside.

Ljungberg got 17 in a very attacking Arsenal side with great players around him and in a side which was tactically superb with an interesting mix of players. That was a side that won the league and had alot of players in form over the course of the season aswell with great goal suppliers such as Pires, Bergkamp and Henry.

Murphy has hit 13 as a seasons best in a side which is nowhere near that of the standard of Arsenals and hasn't won the league. Also Murphy has hit 13 assists in a season, Ljungbergs best is 8.

Murphy is a very intelligent player with good vision and superb weighted passes.

As for the Bergkamp comment, he's along way past his onnce amazing best. One of the best players i've seen ever but the fact is he's well past it. He can still perform at the highest level and still has a clever brain but the fact is now, he's nothing like the player he was.
115-1073096938

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:23 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Thats simply garbage. Absoloute tosh. Thats the last thing he does. Thats part of his problem. When things aren't going his way he doesn't hide and still wants the ball and still wants to try things. Thats why he often looks alot worse than he actually is.

the only niggling question i find myself asking about the murph is "is he championship quality?"  you know, would he get in the teams of arsehead and manure?  the answer is always no. he'd probably beone of the best players at birmingham or newcastle.
i just dont know, its a mystery with murphy.  he does cause some debate though!!

Stupid post imo. He's no worse than Gary Neville, Nicky Butt, Phillip Neville, Andy Cole, Lauren, Lljunberg, Bergkamp (last year). Its a team game and TEAMS NEED players like Murphy around them. Comments like that are simply poor lad.

[quote]
stu, you reckon thats a stupid post and then try and justify it by naming all of them players, and saying murphy is as good if not better than them. well

if you were gonna start comparing, you would have to state players like Keane, Scholes, Viera etc, not the players you did, who are either not regular starters, or not central midfielders!!!   that was a waste of time listing them players.murphy would never get ahead of the players i mentioned. i agree he is a good team/squad player, and i also agree that its not individuals that make a team (as benitez has already proved). but central midfiled is the most important postion on the pitch, and the 2 players in there do need to be world class to win leagues. murphy simply doesnt come into that category.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:44 pm

stu, you reckon thats a stupid post and then try and justify it by naming all of them players, and saying murphy is as good if not better than them. well

if you were gonna start comparing, you would have to state players like Keane, Scholes, Viera etc, not the players you did, who are either not regular starters, or not central midfielders!!!   that was a waste of time listing them players.murphy would never get ahead of the players i mentioned. i agree he is a good team/squad player, and i also agree that its not individuals that make a team (as benitez has already proved). but central midfiled is the most important postion on the pitch, and the 2 players in there do need to be world class to win leagues. murphy simply doesnt come into that category.

Thats garbage.

The most important positions on the field are the ones your tactics use the most. IE it is possible to base a team completely upon wide players and just have solid players in the middle or vice versa. Greece have just proven you don't need class in every position to beat teams. Not every player in a champinship winning side has to be as good as Vieira, Keane, Scholes, Gerrard etc etc etc. That was the reason i compared the Nevilles etc etc.

Are you telling me Murphy wouldn't get into the Greece side if it was possible? Because i beg to differ but he would and he'd also be one of there better players. Another recent example is Latvia, they have a couple of second division players at best and give the Germans and an esquisite czech side a damn good game.
115-1073096938

Postby barnesrush » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:48 pm

have to agree with stu that murphys vision and awareness of passes make him a superior player than ljungberg whos major skill is being in the right place at the right time
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:50 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Murphy is a very intelligent player with good vision and superb weighted passes.

Superb weighted passes ???
OK, but they don't always go to a liverpool player !!! .
  :D
When he's good he's very good when he's sh*te , jeez pass me that bog roll .
More consistency please Danny .  :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:50 pm

Greece will never be a world class team playing like that. we were successful very briefly when we played like that, but faded very soon. that type of play goes stale.

i'm talking about "great" teams stu. great teams. of course there are always exceptions to the rule like Greece, but they will never win anything ever again, neither will Latvia.

if you'd be happy playing like Greece then thats your preference. if you remember, we used to play like that, and look what happened. it wares off. teams like arsehead and the mancs never win things by playing like that, and thats why they continue to be good teams.
murphy would never get into teams like the ones i mean, he would get into the teams you go on about, but they are not great/championship winning teams.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football Related Polls