Central midfield legends - Who's the greatest central midfielder?

Please post your football related Polls in this forum

Central midfield legends - Who's the greatest central midfielder?

Emlyn Hughes
9%
Jimmy Case
No votes
Terry McDermott
5%
Graeme Souness
36%
Ronnie Whelan
5%
Jan Molby
2%
Steve McMahon
No votes
Jamie Redknapp
No votes
Steven Gerrard
43%

Total votes : 44

Postby ROBtheRED » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:16 pm

1. Emlyn Hughes     1967-1979
    665 appearances    61 goals

2. Jimmy Case      1972-1981
    269 app   46 goals

3. Terry McDermott    1974-1982
    329 app    81 goals

4. Graeme Souness   1978-1984
    359 app    55 goals

5. Ronnie Whelan      1979-1994
    493 app    73 goals

6. Jan Molby      1984-1996
    292 app    61 goals

7. Steve McMahon     1985-1991
    279 app     50 goals

8. Jamie Redknapp      1991-2002
    308 app     41 goals

9. Steven Gerrard     1997-
    193 app     22 goals (up to start of season)

who's the best?

This was difficult as we have had so many great under-rated midfielders but the player who stands out for me is Souness. He was a leader, a fearsome tackler but also had superb ability for passing and shooting. He would have fitted in any LFC side in any era. Maybe Stevie Gerrard will surpass Souey as another great leader?

(other contenders:  Jimmy McDougall, Willie Stevenson, Peter Cormack, Gary McAllister, Didi Hamann)
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:18 pm

It's a bit hard to consider Gerrard as a legend as he is in the early stages of his career. McAllister perhaps for his overall career but he was only here a short time. Redknapp was injured and that more or less ruined his Anfield career.

It has to be Molby for me, another whose career was pretty much finished at Anfield by injury
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:04 am

If you had to pick your all-time Liverpool midfield then Graeme Souness would be the first name on the team-sheet.He had everything that a world class midfielder needed.He was the general,quick to the tackle,unflinching,as well as creative,Souness was unquestionably one of the greatest midfielders British football has ever seen,oozing determination and commitement.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:46 am

Graeme Souness, without a doubt! If the poll were for the best central midfield pairing, then choosing the second one would be hard to choose, but the best ever is Souness.
If I remember correctly, he can shoot with either feet but his other qualities - good tackler, inspirational leader, great passer, combative and unyielding attitude yet intelligent not to get sent off too many times and a good shot. We have never effectively found another player like him.
Gerrard has the potential but even the age of 23, Souness was a better player then than Gerrard is.
One big factor which Gerrard can improve is his temperament and he has to curb his tendency to make long speculative passes which often results in giving the ball away. Perhaps he is forced to do that too many times because his other colleagues more often than not keep failing to make progressive passing play. This is the story of Liverpool today - ineffective build-up play because the midfielders cannot make progressive passing to create decent chances for the likes of Owen. I am straying from the topic but Suoness is the greatest in the middle of the park.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oldredeyes » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:25 pm

I know I keep doing this Rob but as my old brain goes back further I must tell you about a fella you missed off the list. His name was Willie Stevenson, a Scot from Glasgow who was probably the best wing half ever bought by Shanks. Willie played left half for Liverpool and was brilliant. He would have played many more games for Scotland but was kept out of the team by Jim Baxter who was probably the best wing half in the world at that time. Willie had everything Souness had - plus a bit more. I think Graham Souness would quite rightly get the popular vote, but anyone who saw Willie Stevenson at his peak would give it to him. His partner at the time was Gordon Milne who played on the right of midfield - great pair.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ROBtheRED » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:20 pm

oldredeyes wrote:I know I keep doing this Rob but as my old brain goes back further I must tell you about a fella you missed off the list. His name was Willie Stevenson, a Scot from Glasgow who was probably the best wing half ever bought by Shanks. Willie played left half for Liverpool and was brilliant. He would have played many more games for Scotland but was kept out of the team by Jim Baxter who was probably the best wing half in the world at that time. Willie had everything Souness had - plus a bit more. I think Graham Souness would quite rightly get the popular vote, but anyone who saw Willie Stevenson at his peak would give it to him. His partner at the time was Gordon Milne who played on the right of midfield - great pair.

Cheers oldredeyes! the idea of this topic for me was to get everybodys favourite players up there and you've contributed in giving an insight into an unsung player of the 60's era, which was slightly before my time! Apart from tv footage of the shankly side in action and numerous books documenting the glory years its refreshing to read at first hand a fans perspective of the playes that mattered. Feel free to post any other legends i've missed!       :)
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:43 pm

It has to be Souness because he had everything you could want from a midfield player.

One player that many wont know played a game in midfield was Roger Hunt. Hunt played midfield against Stoke in a 3-1 win because Stjohn was injured and couldnt play, Hunt was outstanding and was Man of the Match. The game was also notable because a shot from Smith from 30yds hit both posts before bouncing out. Not many could do that against Banks!

Who's bumping all these old posts?
account deleted by request

Postby EddieC » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:42 pm

I'm quite dissapointed to not find Diao on the list.

The guy has everything takes to claim legendary status, a great range of passing, strong in the tackle, amazing with the ball at his feet, and a great turn of pace.

All you lot saying Souness don't know sh!t, LFC's loss is Stoke's gain.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:42 pm

:rasp  :rasp  :rasp

:D
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:35 pm

As Big a legend as he was, am I mising something when I see Emlyn in there? He should be in the mix for Defensive legends surely?

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:42 pm

CardinalRed wrote:As Big a legend as he was, am I mising something when I see Emlyn in there? He should be in the mix for Defensive legends surely?

:cool:

His early career was spent in midfield for Liverpool even though he was bought as a fullback and played most of his early England games at fullback.He was eventually moved into defence later in his career.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby clik » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:47 pm

you could add a few more to list but surely Stevie Nicol deserves a mention, a good engine top attitude and scored a hatful of goals i'd have him instead of Redknapp any day.
Dreams do come true......Istanbul 2005
clik

Postby Mikz » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:16 pm

Graeme Souness for me too from that list brother, helluva player playing in a truly great team. Ray Kennedy and Terry Mac were brilliant too in a different way . But they could all pass a ball 30 yards or more with pin point accuracy.

Steven Gerrard is on that list too, and Id say by the time he finishes his career he will bypass them all. In my opinon he will be the greatest player to ever don the red shirt. :bowdown
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 67-1161385641 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:37 pm

I wasn't old enough to watch a few of the players on the list, however having watched footage that my father had as he is a Liverpool supporter as well, made me come to the conclusion that Ronnie Whelan is my favourite midfielder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sca7Zbsh_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of8w5vbr_Ms

These two video clip shows why I think Whelan is one of our best midfielders.
67-1161385641

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:22 am

souness by a long chalk, if gerrard even reaches 80% of souness talent he will be doing well
112-1077774096

Next

Return to Football Related Polls