New defender on way - Russian as well

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Paul C » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:38 pm

bavlondon wrote:This isnt even confirmed yet.

This is from Sky Sports (14/2/06):

Liverpool have struck a deal with Argentine side Banfield over Gabriel Paletta, with the defender set to move to Anfield in the summer.
The teenager, who turns 20 on Wednesday, has caught the eye with impressive displays for Banfield and the Argentine Under-20 side.

He played a key role in Argentina's march towards the Under-20 World Championship triumph in 2005 and his efforts seemingly persuaded Liverpool to step in.

Banfield played down talk of a deal being struck over the weekend, but Liverpool have now confirmed they have won the race for Paletta's signature.

Paletta has agreed a four-year contract and the deal is a major boon for Liverpool as the defender had been coveted by major players in both Europe and South America.

The defender will become a Liverpool player this summer, subject to him passing a medical at Anfield.

From LFC.tv (14/2/06):

Liverpool have tonight confirmed that Argentinian defender Gabriel Paletta has passed his medical and will join Rafael Benitez’s squad in the summer.
Paletta, who celebrates his 20th birthday tomorrow, flew into Merseyside last night to undergo a medical examination after agreeing terms on a four year deal.

The Banfield defender has now flown back to Argentina to prepare for his club's fixture this weekend.

He will return in the summer when the Reds report back for pre-season training ahead of the new campaign.

From LFC.tv (19/2/06):

Rafael Benitez has insisted new signing Gabriel Paletta has the qualities to match the inspirational leadership of Jamie Carragher when he arrives at Anfield.
The young Argentinian defender will join the Reds in the summer after Liverpool agreed a four year deal for his services.

Benitez is delighted to have beaten off stiff competition to land the highly rated youngster and is confident he'll waste no time in proving himself on Merseyside.

He said: "I've worked with other Argentinian defenders in the past and there is a good tradition of tough, aggressive and tactically strong defenders from the country.

"Paletta is very tough and he's exactly the sort of player we need who will suit the Premiership. When you talk about the Argentinian defenders I worked with in Valencia, Paletta is more like Ayala than Pellegrino. If you're talking about Liverpool, he's more like Carra than Sami Hyypia. This is good because we will have a balance in the style of defenders.

"He is a defender with a lot of aggression and we're sure he has a great future. He will learn a lot here, like Daniel Agger, and provide competitiveness in our defence.

"We were watching him in the world under-21 championships in Holland recently. That's when our scouts spotted him and we identified him as the kind of player we'd like.

"He has attracted a lot of interest from top clubs in Argentina like River Plate and Boca Juniors. River Plate even reserved a number six shirt for him, so we had to move quickly to sign him. We're delighted to have done the deal now."
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:39 pm

Remove this, error'd when I replied so I tried again and it posted twice.

Sorry  :(
Last edited by Paul C on Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:48 pm

That's great news. The guy is obviously highly rated and will no doubt add some steel to our defensive area. Can see him and Agger being the central partnership of the future. Obvioulsy Carra and Sami have plenty of time left (well carra anyway).
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby GOAT » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:10 pm

gaz31 wrote:
EddieC wrote:Any source?

A Russian? Born in Ghana? With an English father? ???

LOL YEAH SEEMS TO BE A BIT OF A MIX HEY AND HE IS A L/CB AND THE SOURCE IS FROM A PRESS CONFERENCE AFTER THE NEW BOSS TOOK OVER AND HE SAID A TOP EUROPEAN CLUB ARE LOOKING AT OUR YOUNG DEFENDER WHO HAS A GREAT DESIRE TO GO TO ENGLAND "I CAN NOT SAY WHICH CLUB AT THE MOMENT BUT I CAN TELL YOU THEY ARE IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE AND HAVE BEEN CHAMPIONS THEMSELVES !!! :rasp

Could also be man u.. Never heard of this guy
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby gaz31 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:34 pm

i suppose so BUT you never know !!! :angry:
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby Reg » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:08 am

kopite_1232002 wrote:cant wait to see the carling cup this seasson, i want to see more ov that paul anderson, see how he plays against the big boys !!!

KOPITE > sorry to change the buject but where did you get that tatoo done?

In the city? I fancy one like it but on my upper arm

Thanks
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:54 am

Russian, Ghanian born and English? ???

When am I supposed to laugh?

:D   At least there's something new in the Rumour Mill!
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby k84liverpool » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:02 am

hi
k84liverpool

Previous

Return to The Rumour Mill