The departures lounge - who should we be looking to move on?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:20 pm

Reg » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:43 am wrote:Dream team there Yakka apart from so many competing egos... I hope we wouldn't change into a Chelsea....

If we are planning on genuinely challenging City for the title next year Reg then we are going to need more than honest grafters.
City have only lost 1 league game since September and that was to us in a 4-3 barn burner at Anfield.
Besides I'm sure Jurgen is a big enough personality in his own right to keep any ego's in check.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:38 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:00 pm wrote:Think Milner has one year left on his contract and am sure he'll see it out before going to the USA or something.

We'll struggle to find a taker for Sturridge though. Might be best to loan him out, unless he's happy to be a bench warmer for his final year.

Given what's happened at West Brom we'll probably even struggle to find a club willing to take Sturridge on loan, the only way I can see it happening is if we promise to cover his wages if he gets injured.
It's sad what has happened to Danny, when he was injury free and sharp he was a terrific player, it's easy to forget now but he was the quickest Liverpool player to ever reach 50 goals.
What I always loved about Sturridge was how confident he was in front of goal, some strikers seem to dread one-on-ones but Danny was the exact opposite.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:09 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:38 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:00 pm wrote:Think Milner has one year left on his contract and am sure he'll see it out before going to the USA or something.

We'll struggle to find a taker for Sturridge though. Might be best to loan him out, unless he's happy to be a bench warmer for his final year.

Given what's happened at West Brom we'll probably even struggle to find a club willing to take Sturridge on loan, the only way I can see it happening is if we promise to cover his wages if he gets injured.
It's sad what has happened to Danny, when he was injury free and sharp he was a terrific player, it's easy to forget now but he was the quickest Liverpool player to ever reach 50 goals.
What I always loved about Sturridge was how confident he was in front of goal, some strikers seem to dread one-on-ones but Danny was the exact opposite.

Is sad. But Danny is on par with Owen Hargreaves when it comes to injuries.  Know a couple of WBA fans and they're adamant this his loan signing is the worst transfer of the season.  Think he's cost them 50 grand for every minute he's played, so far.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:18 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:20 am wrote:I think we'd need more in MF mate to genuinely challenge City for the title, something like this -

Jorginho.      Keita

Lemar

Salah.               Firmino.            Mane/Pulisic 

We'd also need someone like Pulisic imo who could come into the front line without there being much (if any) drop off in quality. We've been lucky over the second half of the season with injuries but we can't always rely on luck.
Jorginho, Pulisic and Lemar would cost a few bob but if you add that £50m that you are talking about to the Coutinho money that's been promised to Jurgen we can afford it.

Don't think that's very realistic yakka to be honest mate. Lemar would cost a fortune (I'm not even sure he's worth it) and we can't afford to strengthen every position with £100m players. We also probably will have to accept that most of Coutinho's money have already been spent on van Dijk, Keita etc.

Personally, I'd be happy with two £50m signings. Anything else, even someone like Pulisic, is a luxury for us IMO. Knowing us though, we'd probably just sign Doucoure and maybe one or two unknowns, keep the defence as it is and be told a familiar story about how "Karius is going to be like a new signing".
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:59 pm

Can looks a goner also, we just need to replace departures with serious talent, but not serious money.

We have five centre backs, so it looks like one will be off loaded. Perhaps Lovren or Klavan.

Clyne and Lallana have missed most of the season, so if fully fit next term , we will have two new signings, more or less.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:43 pm

We still need another Solid CB imo because if Van Dijk is out we are truly screwed.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:25 pm

damjan193 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:18 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:20 am wrote:I think we'd need more in MF mate to genuinely challenge City for the title, something like this -

Jorginho.      Keita

Lemar

We'd also need someone like Pulisic imo who could come into the front line without there being much (if any) drop off in quality. We've been lucky over the second half of the season with injuries but we can't always rely on luck.
Jorginho, Pulisic and Lemar would cost a few bob but if you add that £50m that you are talking about to the Coutinho money that's been promised to Jurgen we can afford it.

Don't think that's very realistic yakka to be honest mate. Lemar would cost a fortune (I'm not even sure he's worth it) and we can't afford to strengthen every position with £100m players. We also probably will have to accept that most of Coutinho's money have already been spent on van Dijk, Keita etc.

Personally, I'd be happy with two £50m signings. Anything else, even someone like Pulisic, is a luxury for us IMO. Knowing us though, we'd probably just sign Doucoure and maybe one or two unknowns, keep the defence as it is and be told a familiar story about how "Karius is going to be like a new signing".

There was a little snippet the other week either in the Echo or the Mirror about Lemar and how gutted he was when his move here fell through last summer. He said he genuinely wanted to come here but we backed off when his price sky-rocketed after Arsenal threw their hat into the ring. He said he still wants to come here.
He hasn't had a stellar season so I don't think he'll be going for anything remotely near £100m this summer, plus after missing out last summer if Monaco continue to ask ridiculous money for him I could see him really kicking up a fuss, he won't want to miss the boat again.
I think we could get him for a reasonable price this summer (£60m-£70m).
Don't forget mate Jurgen said himself that he has been promised all the Coutinho money.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:44 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:25 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:18 pm wrote:

Jorginho.      Keita

Lemar

There was a little snippet the other week either in the Echo or the Mirror about Lemar and how gutted he was when his move here fell through last summer. He said he genuinely wanted to come here but we backed off when his price sky-rocketed after Arsenal threw their hat into the ring. He said he still wants to come here.
He hasn't had a stellar season so I don't think he'll be going for anything remotely near £100m this summer, plus after missing out last summer if Monaco continue to ask ridiculous money for him I could see him really kicking up a fuss, he won't want to miss the boat again.
I think we could get him for a reasonable price this summer (£60m-£70m).
Don't forget mate Jurgen said himself that he has been promised all the Coutinho money.

I'm expecting some serious significant signings by Klopp this summer, at least two, (Especially if qualifying for the champions league or even winning it), should attract some stellar names. After VVD and Salah coups, we are heading only upwards.
I would love our midfield to line up as keita, Lemar and Lallana /wjnaldum, next season, with the departure of Hendo and Can.

Tabloids on the LFC website keep suggesting we are close to netting Lemar!?

We need the creative types who can unlock defences and score 10-20 goals a season. Lemar and Keita fit the bill. Other than Lallana, the rest of our midfield are not really goalscorers.

Let's hope so.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:10 pm

Lallana turns 30 next month and he seems to be dogged by injuries, in fact he's barely kicked a ball in anger this season and even when he has he has looked extremely rusty. Apparently this latest injury is going to keep him out of the World Cup as well which is a personal blow for him.
Given his age and injury record I don't think we can rely on him moving forward, in fact we need players like Lemar/Pulisic just to get back to square one again and to get back to the days when we had the likes of Coutinho and a fit Adam Lallana not just 3 starting XI forwards.
We have been extremely lucky since January, one injury to Salah could have sunk our season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:19 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:10 pm wrote:Lallana turns 30 next month and he seems to be dogged by injuries, in fact he's barely kicked a ball in anger this season and even when he has he has looked extremely rusty. Apparently this latest injury is going to keep him out of the World Cup as well which is a personal blow for him.
Given his age and injury record I don't think we can rely on him moving forward, in fact we need players like Lemar/Pulisic just to get back to square one again and to get back to the days when we had the likes of Coutinho and a fit Adam Lallana not just 3 starting XI forwards.
We have been extremely lucky since January, one injury to Salah could have sunk our season.

Agree about Lallana. Seems to be heading down the same road as Sturridge unfortunately although don't think it is quite that bad yet. I wouldn't be surprised if we've cooled out interest in Lemar. Don't think he has been pulling too many trees this season so unless the crazy prices being quoted last summer come down, I'm not sure we will be all out in for him. Pulisic is a great player but buying off Dortmund is massively difficult, even more so when there are quite a few other teams interested in him. Apparently Utd want him to and he was a boyhood Utd fan
Doeboy

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:03 pm

We have relied heavily on the Fab three this season, and have been fortunate that none of them have had an injury lay off. That would have buggered our season up.

Look at the alternatives... Ings and Solanke.. Erm... That's it.

Sturridge is a lame horse and our midfield has not got a goalscorer between them all... Milner, Can, Ox, wjnaldum, hendo none of them can really score. We do need more firepower
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:37 pm

Mignolet- not good enough for us but could still do a really good job for a mid-table club. He's a good guy and I want him to do well.

Moreno - I think we kept him a extra year because he was close friends with Coutinho.. but he's gone now so there is no need to keep Moreno.

Klavan- he was a cheap stop gap, but we now have VVD and I'm sure we'll buy another Center half in the summer.

Milner - I like James but we need to move to the next level now and Milners legs have gone.

Can - won't sign a new contract so it's bye bye

Sturridge - he's done at top level injuries have took it's toll.

Ings - same as Sturridge

Origi - shows glimpses but he's way too inconsistent.. time to move him on.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:52 pm

I can see Gomez getting a fair amount of game time at CB next season so i don't think we'll sign a centre half. A new CB would just get in the way of his development.
If we sell Lovren we might but I don't think that will happen, didn't Dejan sign a new contract fairly recently?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:22 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:52 pm wrote:I can see Gomez getting a fair amount of game time at CB next season so i don't think we'll sign a centre half. A new CB would just get in the way of his development.
If we sell Lovren we might but I don't think that will happen, didn't Dejan sign a new contract fairly recently?

I really think we should sign another solid CB to partner VVD. Matip and Lovren are decent backup but not that good. If VVD gets injured we are back then with calamity defending. Preferably i would like to see us get new CB to partner VVD. Matip, Gomez and Lovren could be back ups. Lovren won't be happy with that so i guess he will move on from there.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:55 pm

Not only do I think that Lemar is not that good, but I also think we don't need a player like him. Losing Coutinho was a blow, but it also has its benefits. Like others on this forum have said, Coutinho wasn't the most defensively sound player, and although we miss his magic, our midfield looks more balanced now. So adding a new flair player like Lemar in our midfield won't do us any good IMO, a midfield of Jorginho, Keita and who ever of our current midfielders would be the best for me.

As for a new CB, signing de Vrij from Lazio as a free agent would be ideal. A Dutch pairing at the heart of our back four will completely transform our defence and our defensive problems will be a thing of the past. Don't think we stand a chance in signing him though, half of Europe is after this guy.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion