Pablo aimar - The link resurfaces

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:57 pm

Liverpool may soon be given the green light to bid for Valencia star Pablo Aimar, with the Argentine international seemingly set to leave La Mestalla this summer.

Aimar is one of the most gifted playmakers in Europe, but has fallen out with manager Quique Flores and looks set to be on the move at the end of the season.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez knows Aimar well from his time as Valencia boss, and is well aware of his ability to unlock defences. Benitez is keen to add a cutting edge to his solid team, and Aimar's pace, passing and skill could prove invaluable.

Benitez is likely to face stiff competition for the player's signature, with Manchester United also thought to be monitoring developments.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:00 pm

Didn't Rafa drop Aimar in his last season due to Aimar's poor attitude? That's what I heard & as much as I like Aimar, I honestly don't think we need him with players like Sissoko, Gerrard and Alonso in the centre of the park. I can't see someone of Aimar's stature being sold for less than £15million. Good player but we don't need him.
48-1119859832

Postby metalhead » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:01 pm

Aimar is excellent, I watched  him with Valencia this season, he has excellent passing ability, good dribbling and great technique. He has alot of creativity and would add a cutting edge to the team.

Very good player, if we get him i'll be happy  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:03 pm

source?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:15 pm

Can't see it happening unelss Garcia is sold. Aimar hasn't been in the best form since Rafa left Valenica, and I don't think England is the place for him to revive his career. A real taent, but one we don't need IMO.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:21 pm

We should stay well clear of Aimar imo.

Good technical player, but don't see how he would fit in here.  We need 1-2 strikers plus a right midfielder.  Aimar is none of those and would be a waste of money.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:27 pm

stmichael wrote:source?

newsnow.co.uk.

Id like to hear Sabres views on this .
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:14 pm

bavlondon wrote:Liverpool may soon be given the green light to bid for Valencia star Pablo Aimar, with the Argentine international seemingly set to leave La Mestalla this summer.

Aimar is one of the most gifted playmakers in Europe, but has fallen out with manager Quique Flores and looks set to be on the move at the end of the season.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez knows Aimar well from his time as Valencia boss, and is well aware of his ability to unlock defences. Benitez is keen to add a cutting edge to his solid team, and Aimar's pace, passing and skill could prove invaluable.

Benitez is likely to face stiff competition for the player's signature, with Manchester United also thought to be monitoring developments.

Source ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:18 pm

bavlondon wrote:
stmichael wrote:source?

newsnow.co.uk.

Id like to hear Sabres views on this .

Nothing I can see on that page :

newsnow.co.uk
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:14 pm

He's basically a more consistant and more skilled version of Luis Garcia. It would be like upgrading a car if we swapped 'em. Like going from a VW Polo to a Ferrari Enzo. If this was the scenario then I'd take him.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:33 pm

I don't think he's that much better than Garcia.
If you are looking for this sort of player you should only be thinking about Riquelme.
Last edited by XSD on Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:50 pm

We've had this debate before about Aimar v Garcia and I quoted a few statistics.  Aimar is undoubtedly better on the ball and is a better passer than Garcia, but similarly he drifts in and out of games, is lightweight and is difficult to fit into a system without making him the focal point of it.  Then there's the question of whether he'd adapt to the premiership.

Personally I think Aimar is overrated, for a 'second striker' his end-product is poor.  I'm not sure what his assist statistics are, but his scoring record is poor for a guy that plays in such an attacking position.  Here's his league scoring record:

96-97 River Plate   
97-98 River Plate  4 Goals, 15 Games
98-99 River Plate  3 Goals, 21 Games   
99-00 River Plate  12 Goals, 30 Games
00-01(déc) River Plate  2 Goals, 16 Games
00-01 Valence CF  2 Goals, 10 Games
01-02 Valence CF  5 Goals, 32 Games  (2 Goals in CL)
02-03 Valence CF  8 Goals, 31 Games  (3 Goals in CL)
03-04 Valence CF  4 Goals, 25 Games   
04-05 Valence CF  4 Goals, 31 Games  (1+1 Goals,CL + UEFA Cup)   
05-06 Valence CF  4 Goals, 28 Games

Compare this to Garcia's record for us...

1st team games: 90 
1st team goals: 23 

Now I'm no expert, but 23 goals in not even 2 full seasons from Garcia is top class..... and consider that Aimar has scored 25 in just under 4 seasons.

It's not all down to goals I know, but I couldn't find assist statistics for Aimar.  But from watching him play I don't think he assists any more than Garcia

Basically I don't think there's room for Garcia and Aimar at Liverpool and I wouldn't swap Garcia for Aimar personally.
Last edited by JC_81 on Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:28 pm

riquelme is another of my favourites, as was aimar (still is to a lesser extent) however, i wouldnt trade these two for xabi alonso or luis garcia...

whoever does though, acquire the services of either would be investing in quality. id be concerned to see the likes of juan roman riquelme playing for the sc*m for example  ???

Kev Nolan gets my shout for back-up to the squad. especially with hamann graciously fading away.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:41 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Source ?

link here. yes its clubcall again.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/cgi/NGoto/136645122?-11194

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:50 pm

john craig wrote:We've had this debate before about Aimar v Garcia and I quoted a few statistics.  Aimar is undoubtedly better on the ball and is a better passer than Garcia, but similarly he drifts in and out of games, is lightweight and is difficult to fit into a system without making him the focal point of it.  Then there's the question of whether he'd adapt to the premiership.

Personally I think Aimar is overrated, for a 'second striker' his end-product is poor.  I'm not sure what his assist statistics are, but his scoring record is poor for a guy that plays in such an attacking position.  Here's his league scoring record:

96-97 River Plate   
97-98 River Plate  4 Goals, 15 Games
98-99 River Plate  3 Goals, 21 Games   
99-00 River Plate  12 Goals, 30 Games
00-01(déc) River Plate  2 Goals, 16 Games
00-01 Valence CF  2 Goals, 10 Games
01-02 Valence CF  5 Goals, 32 Games  (2 Goals in CL)
02-03 Valence CF  8 Goals, 31 Games  (3 Goals in CL)
03-04 Valence CF  4 Goals, 25 Games   
04-05 Valence CF  4 Goals, 31 Games  (1+1 Goals,CL + UEFA Cup)   
05-06 Valence CF  4 Goals, 28 Games

Compare this to Garcia's record for us...

1st team games: 90 
1st team goals: 23 

Now I'm no expert, but 23 goals in not even 2 full seasons from Garcia is top class..... and consider that Aimar has scored 25 in just under 4 seasons.

It's not all down to goals I know, but I couldn't find assist statistics for Aimar.  But from watching him play I don't think he assists any more than Garcia

Basically I don't think there's room for Garcia and Aimar at Liverpool and I wouldn't swap Garcia for Aimar personally.

Good statistics there Craig.

But i have to disagree with you about Aimar being overrated. Well i don't think he is. He is a very good playmaker. He was playing really well the first half of the season until Valencia became inconsistant. He has very good vision and good passes(not better than Alonso but his passes are fantastic). He likes to go forward alot and help the strikers.

I wouldn't worry about Garcia, they aren't similar players. IMO Aimar can adapt in the premiership. He has pace and speed to outrun his opponents and knock good balls to Crouch and et al. I don't think Benitez played him as a second striker most of the times. He used to play him as an attacking midfielder who made him go forward and give passes to Mista During Benitez's reign at Valencia.

Yes i agree he is very lightweight, but he will alot of attacking flair to the side. He would certainly will be a good buy for Liverpool.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion