And you wonder why we are so inconsistent - Shocking

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Garymac » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:46 pm

The last 39 games we have played, Rafa Benitez has picked a different starting eleven 39 times. That is shocking, but doesnt surprise me because for a while now ive been watching the way Rafa manages the team and have come up with this theory of why things are not going to plan.

We, Liverpool, do not have a style of play, we dont have a 1st choice 11 and most of all we lack consistency and for this i look to Rafa. For me Rafa is trying far to hard to please and takes far to much time examining the opposition seeing how there styles of play work, what tactics they like to use but most importantly, he looks to pick a starting 11 who can cope with dealing with the oppositions strenthes.

For every game we go out to play, we dont go out in the same manner two games on the bounce, why? Because we are now a team which is picked to solely deal with that team, and when it works, Rafa looks a genius but when it fails, Rafa looks, at times, Daft. And now as things stand i think Rafa has to get back to basics, he has to get a stye of play, pick his best 11 (if he knows what it is) and stick to it for 15 to 20 games if someone gets injured or someone is tired ok drop them but let these players get used to playing with each other and get the strongest side playing football together.

Rafas biggest weakness is his obsession with the opposition, and basing every Liverpool team he picks to counter attack there style of play and this is no good for the players or the Supporters because now we are seriously beginning to suffer.

We have signed a number of new players since Morientes signed but think not one of these players have played with the same players twice also a frequent change of formation and also some players not playing in the same position all the time, now tell me these factors are not making things more difficult. Its about time we put are strongest foot forward, went out with a attitude and an agressive manner and started giving other teams something to think about instead of the other way round.

Its as good a time as any for Liverpool and Rafa to get back to basics.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Irish LFC fan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:49 pm

Good theory

Impose our game ON them rather than adapting our game TO them
Irish LFC fan

Postby BringBackTiti » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:56 pm

Do you think Rafa can name his beast team?
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:06 pm

Irish LFC fan wrote:Good theory

Its not not really a good theory, its a basic theory, look at Chelsea now, Arsenal a few years ago and the Manure side of years gone by, they all knew how each other played, played to each others strenthes and didnt give a sh!t about the opposition, we might not yet have the strenth of these sides but we should be able to play are best team against 75% of teams in the Prem and give them something to think about. We need to make people hate coming to Anfield, not coming to Anfield thinking they can win, cos Blackburn thought they could.

I have no doubt West Ham will have 3 upfront and will defo fancy there chances against us......And we will resort to using 3 center halfs and will have Traore at left back so If rafa does want to change to 3 center halfs he just pushes him along side carra and Hyypia.

And i dont think Rafa can name his best team or his beast team!!!
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Irish LFC fan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:08 pm

No.  But he better sort it quickly because this tinkering is determental to the club. 

Surely the cream must rise to the top at training? the sub-standard players are bound to be highlighted.

My 11 would be

Reina
Riise
Carragher
Hypia
Finnan
Garcia
Gerrard
Hamman
Alanso
Cisse
Morientes
Irish LFC fan

Postby andy_g » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:09 pm

as appealing as the idea is i think there is no way that benitez is about to change his style. he's a very analytical manager and incredibly tactically astute, anyone who's seen the TV article about him in his 'control room' at melwood will have seen how obsessive the guy is. the same way that zonal marking eventually began to click we have to hope that the rotation / horses for courses / counter tactics style of selecting the team begins to pay off.

its obvious that the players are as bewildered as we are by being in an out of the team and in and out of position - the game isn't as easy for them as it has been. i'm sure that benitez has seen the problem and is urging the players to focus themselves and play with more heart, to try and adapt to the way he wants the team to perform in any one given game. it must be as confusing as hell, but you have to believe that any quality player would be able to adapt. the question is whether we have those quality players.

i'm as frustrated as anyone with our current domestic form (and even parts of the european form) and would love to see a consistent team. i'm also aware that that is just not going to happen under rafael benitez. i actually couldn't give a toss this season about breaking into the top 3 but what we absolutely have to have is champions league football next season - and i don't think we're going to make it in the back door this year by coming 5th but winning the thing. i just hope that benitez makes sure that his long term vision for the way he wants his team to function doesn't get dashed against the rocks before he's even half way through his plan.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:11 pm

that is shocking
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:18 pm

Garymac wrote:
Irish LFC fan wrote:Good theory

Its not not really a good theory, its a basic theory, look at Chelsea now, Arsenal a few years ago and the Manure side of years gone by, they all knew how each other played, played to each others strenthes and didnt give a sh!t about the opposition, we might not yet have the strenth of these sides but we should be able to play are best team against 75% of teams in the Prem and give them something to think about. We need to make people hate coming to Anfield, not coming to Anfield thinking they can win, cos Blackburn thought they could.

I have no doubt West Ham will have 3 upfront and will defo fancy there chances against us......And we will resort to using 3 center halfs and will have Traore at left back so If rafa does want to change to 3 center halfs he just pushes him along side carra and Hyypia.

And i dont think Rafa can name his best team or his beast team!!!

You know what makes me laugh gary mac.. I said something about we should not care who the opposition is, they should worry about how we are going to play rather than us worrying about them. Playing your strongest team and so on.

What happens? I get berated by stu_the_red for saying it.

You've hit the nail on the head and it is so simple. great managers like Shankly, Paisley, Clough kept it simple. Pick your strongest team. What's that? our left-back is injured?Do we change the tactics?Naa!we'll just pick a reserve left back to do the job. That was the attituded and it worked when you look back at the old videos.

Don't tell me that it wouldn't work in Europe either! Paisley and Clough got 5 Euro Cups between them with the same philosophy.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:25 pm

Irish LFC fan wrote:No.  But he better sort it quickly because this tinkering is determental to the club. 

Surely the cream must rise to the top at training? the sub-standard players are bound to be highlighted.

My 11 would be

Reina
Riise
Carragher
Hypia
Finnan
Garcia
Gerrard
Hamman
Alanso
Cisse
Morientes

???

And your left side would be ????

Agree with th gist of Gmacs post . With the amount of games we have to play some rotatation of the squad is to be expected ,however I firmly believe that whenever possible you pick your best eleven and let the opposition worry about us .

I don't deny that on the occasions when we are clearly "outmatched" Rafa is right to look at the tactical aspect and pick his team accordingly but surely nine times out of ten we should be going out there to play OUR game OUR way .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:29 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Irish LFC fan wrote:No.  But he better sort it quickly because this tinkering is determental to the club. 

My 11 would be

Reina
Riise
Carragher
Hypia
Finnan
Garcia
Gerrard
Hamman
Alanso
Cisse
Morientes

???

Agree with th gist of Gmacs post . With the amount of games we have to play some rotatation of the squad is to be expected ,however I firmly believe that whenever possible you pick your best eleven and let the opposition worry about us .

I don't deny that on the occasions when we are clearly "outmatched" Rafa is right to look at the tactical aspect and pick his team accordingly but surely nine times out of ten we should be going out there to play OUR game OUR way .

If you're referring to me woofwoof, I was using it as an example mate. But seeing that you're asking, if warnock is out injured, play Riise at left-back or vise-versa depending on your preference on who is better at left-back.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:09 pm

The thing that gets to me amongst all the science and nonsense that flies around Liverpool Football Club theses days is this analytical approach that somehow fails to address the blindingly obvious.
On the way to the game on Tuesday we was talking about the game and what would be Palace's approach. Now call me a prophet but I had a bit of a feeling that they would employ a high energy, up and at 'em style and try to get in amongst us. Somehow I found the idea that they would go for a low tempo, chess like game and get the ball down and try and outpass us a little fanciful. What would you do if you were Ian Dowie? You've got two young midfielders in Soares (who is a good player BTW) and Watson who will run all day for you. Your team is full of athletic young blokes who probably won't make it at the very top. You go all out non-stop action, or at least I would anyway.
Now, rub your chin as you mull this one over and ask yourself this question. Who is the central midfield player at the club who is probably least able to cope with high-tempo pressing from the opposition? Despite his obvious qualities in European games, whose legs are without question on the wane? I think I might be talking about Didi here. Now, next question. Who out of our mifdfield players has the most energy? Which one is never happier than when the tackles are flying in and he can fight and scrap for everything? Which one of our midfield players would have outrun Palaces two the other night? I'm talking Momo Sissoko here. The game was absolutely made for him.
Next question. Who played and who didn't even come on as sub? Makes you wonder a bit sometimes.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:53 pm

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:

My 11 would be

Reina
Riise
Carragher
Hypia
Finnan
Garcia
Gerrard
Hamman
Alanso
Cisse
Morientes

???

If you're referring to me woofwoof, I was using it as an example mate. But seeing that you're asking, if warnock is out injured, play Riise at left-back or vise-versa depending on your preference on who is better at left-back.

No Wrighty I was referring to "Irish LFC fan " it's his post that I've quoted . from the 11 players he picked I cant see his plan for the left side.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Alonso14 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:07 pm

bigmick wrote:The thing that gets to me amongst all the science and nonsense that flies around Liverpool Football Club theses days is this analytical approach that somehow fails to address the blindingly obvious.
On the way to the game on Tuesday we was talking about the game and what would be Palace's approach. Now call me a prophet but I had a bit of a feeling that they would employ a high energy, up and at 'em style and try to get in amongst us. Somehow I found the idea that they would go for a low tempo, chess like game and get the ball down and try and outpass us a little fanciful. What would you do if you were Ian Dowie? You've got two young midfielders in Soares (who is a good player BTW) and Watson who will run all day for you. Your team is full of athletic young blokes who probably won't make it at the very top. You go all out non-stop action, or at least I would anyway.
Now, rub your chin as you mull this one over and ask yourself this question. Who is the central midfield player at the club who is probably least able to cope with high-tempo pressing from the opposition? Despite his obvious qualities in European games, whose legs are without question on the wane? I think I might be talking about Didi here. Now, next question. Who out of our mifdfield players has the most energy? Which one is never happier than when the tackles are flying in and he can fight and scrap for everything? Which one of our midfield players would have outrun Palaces two the other night? I'm talking Momo Sissoko here. The game was absolutely made for him.
Next question. Who played and who didn't even come on as sub? Makes you wonder a bit sometimes.

Great Post. But I think the reason he didnt play Sissoko is because Rafa nearly always has to have a holding midfielder, one if not both cetral midfielders who like to sit and break down play, either or both Alonso and Hamman, and I think he wanted to give Gerrard a run out.

I doubt he would field both Gerrard and Sissoko in central midfield  4-4-2.

And woof, I think he means Garcia left and Gerrard right.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:50 pm

No thats not why we're inconsistant. We were inconsistant when Houllier was here. It's about the attitude, the mentality. Our current squad is harldy great however they are capable of performing, they've done so in the past.

However the team mentality is not strong to be able to do it week in and week out.

And by the way it should also be take in consideration is that last season we had Alamo type injuries, which is mostly why for 39 games there's been a different side.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby jack66 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:23 pm

reina
   finnan     carra         hyppia    rise

gerrard    sissoko      alonzo    kewell

cisse         moro

i think if rafa made this his starting line up week in week out(barring injuries),we would be top three no problem.
jack66

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion