New goalkeeper - Why?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:10 pm

Reds eye Valencia star
08-11-2006 11:26 
Liverpool are being strongly linked with a move for Valencia goalkeeper Ludovic Butelle.
Reports in the French media are claiming that Rafael Benitez is preparing a move for the player he signed from Metz during his stay in charge at the Mestalla. 

Butelle has failed to dislodge veteran keeper Santiago Canizares, who is again in fine form this season, and could be tempted by the chance to work with Benitez again. 
Liverpool are certainly in the market for a new goalkeeper following the sale of Chris Kirkland to Wigan, and doubts over Scott Carson and Jerzy Dudek's long term futures at Anfield remain. 
                          ---------------------

Why should we be interested in ANOTHER goalkeeper we have 4 goalkeepers and have just sold one to wigan. Carson is starring for Charlton on loan, Martin is supposed to be a great prospect and then we have Dudek and Reina!
account deleted by request

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:56 pm

BORED REPORTERS!

It's just the old Valencia - Rafa link and any player that was there when Rafa was and ain't playing is just getting linked as usual. We saw it in the first  few weeks of Rafa's reign and no doubt it'll continue 'til the day he leaves Anfield or there are no longer any of his old players at Valencia.

Either way it's just  :sleep
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:11 pm

s@int wrote:Why should we be interested in ANOTHER goalkeeper we have 4 goalkeepers and have just sold one to wigan. Carson is starring for Charlton on loan, Martin is supposed to be a great prospect and then we have Dudek and Reina!

Maybe its just paper talk but i really do believe that we need another top goalkeeper in the squad to keep Pepe on his toes. Lets face it does anyone have confidence in Dudek to come between the sticks and do an effective job if Pepe gets injured? I would welcome it.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jkop » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:47 pm

Dont knock Dudek just yet, he has been there when hes called upon. :nod
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby peterc1992 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:07 pm

i dont think in any way liverpool need another keeper,weve got dudek that didnt do anything wrong with benitez and he get put on the sidline,we have reina,we have martin whos meant to be a great talent,and carson is at charlton,and we know he is a great keeper and benitez said he has noted he is playing well and the only reason for him being at charlton is because he needs match practice,i think it would be another huge istake to let him go

so another keeper would meen the end of carson at liverpool,or dudek or martin and they are all decent keepers that i wouldnt like to sell
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:20 pm

jkop wrote:Dont knock Dudek just yet, he has been there when hes called upon. :nod

Smicer scored a great goal in the final as well but would you want him there now.

Dudek is a good squad guy but I wouldnt want him to have a run in the team to be honest
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:09 pm

taff wrote:
jkop wrote:Dont knock Dudek just yet, he has been there when hes called upon. :nod

Smicer scored a great goal in the final as well but would you want him there now.

Dudek is a good squad guy but I wouldnt want him to have a run in the team to be honest

I have to agree with you Taff. I wouldnt like Dudek back as first choice. However Carson seems to be shining at Charlton and may be challenging Reina next season.
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:36 pm

Meanwhile Scott Carson is playing out oif his skin at another team and looking a GREAT prospect for the future!!
66-1120597113

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:41 am

peterc1992 wrote:i dont think in any way liverpool need another keeper,weve got dudek that didnt do anything wrong with benitez and he get put on the sidline

Did you watch us play at all in Rafa's first season?

Dudek was appalling, costing us goals galore. He couldn't command a shoe box, never mind a 6-yard box.

Extra time and penalties in Istanbul - his redemption.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:32 am

I agree with most of the posts above about
a - this is prob all just media speculation
b - Carson is a really good prospect for our number 1, and is currently a good keeper.
c - IF and only IF we were after a 1st choice, first team keeper - wouldnt we want a keeper who is first choice for a reason at his club - not a second choice keeper as if he is not good enough to dislodge a keeper at his club, then why should he be good enough for us?
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:35 am

BarryBelfast wrote:Meanwhile Scott Carson is playing out oif his skin at another team and looking a GREAT prospect for the future!!

And Rafa will try and get a very high transfer offer for him I feel.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:02 pm

Nah, we'll keep Carson, he'll be our number one in the next 2 years
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:07 pm

I'm actually not surprised we're being linked with another keeper.  I've still got confidence in Reina and I'm still convinced he'll be our number 1 for years to come, but we do need someone else.

Dudek isn't reliable and will surely go at the end of the season.

With Carson I just don't buy the hype.  He's good but unless he improves a lot over the next few years I can't see him being our number 1 keeper.  He has an eye for the spectacular save, but he also lets in far too many goals that a top keeper wouldn't.  I reckon he'll be sold at the end of this season for a tidy profit and Benitez will bring someone else in.  He's not the answer for us or for England imo.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:14 pm

Got to completely disagree jc, carson has been keeper of the season for me so far, been watching him a fair bit. and our turnover for keepers is awful. why would we buy him in the first place? It just wouldnt make sense as wed make virtually no money on him.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:24 pm

dawson99 wrote:Got to completely disagree jc, carson has been keeper of the season for me so far, been watching him a fair bit. and our turnover for keepers is awful. why would we buy him in the first place? It just wouldnt make sense as wed make virtually no money on him.

Time will tell Dawson.  Being keeper at Liverpool and keeper at Charlton are 2 very different jobs.

At a big club like ours you're not necessarily called upon that often, so your concentration needs to be good.  That's where people like Friedel got found out in the past and I believe Carson and Kirkland have the same problem.

At Charlton, Wigan, Blackburn etc you're going to be in the firing line a lot more, giving you more opportunities to pull off the spectacular save that gets shown on MOTD and then Hansen and Lawro think you're a superhero.  The reality is it's much more difficult for keepers at top clubs and for someone like Carson who's also very young, I don't think Liverpool is going to be the best place for him for the forseeable future.  I hope he proves me wrong but all I'm saying is I'm not holdiong my breath.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill