John toshack - Very strong whisper going about?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby roberto green » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:53 pm

I was in the pub earlier and I was speaking to a fella that goes the match every game and he was saying that he has heard that Rafa will go in the summer and his replacement will be John Toshack but we can't afford to pay off the backroom staff so they will stay.

I have heard this story a few times over the past few weeks has anyone else heard it?
roberto green

Postby heimdall » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:56 pm

I would be more than happy with Toshack, but not happy that we will be lumbered with Rafa's amigos who will probably do all they can to sabotage Toshack.
heimdall

Postby Waldo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:29 pm

roberto green wrote:I was in the pub earlier and I was speaking to a fella that goes the match every game and he was saying that he has heard that Rafa will go in the summer and his replacement will be John Toshack but we can't afford to pay off the backroom staff so they will stay.

I have heard this story a few times over the past few weeks has anyone else heard it?

I heard the same rumour earlier today as well.

There is a myth surrounding backroom staff that needs clearing up here...

Rafa might have signed a 5 year deal but his backroom staff wil not be on the same length of contracts. It is very uncommon for backroom staff to get more than 2 years contract.

This was confirmed to me by an ex player who I met a few weeks back.

So the myth about "we can't afford to get rid of Rafa" might be true because he signed such a long contract and will be expensive to sack (not because of his backroom staff)
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:34 pm

roberto green wrote:I was in the pub earlier and I was speaking to a fella that goes the match every game and he was saying that he has heard that Rafa will go in the summer and his replacement will be John Toshack but we can't afford to pay off the backroom staff so they will stay.

No, I haven't.

But I'd be very surprised mate. He's too classical in his training methods, he's that classical, that he's totally anti rotation.

Which is nice, I hear you say  :D, but he's also classical in the sense that he doesn't believe in physios, he doesn't believe in specific goal keeper training, he puts two men in the posts defending the corners (which is nice), and he even recovered the sweeper position in the late eighties.

I don't see him as a modern coach... but he does know managing a top club like Real Madrid, where he got the record of scored goals in one season, still unbeaten by the current galacticos.

And the good thing about him, is that he has an insulting eye for players. He simply gets right 9 out of 10 signings.

He writes a weekly article in a local newspaper and he always talks about Liverpool. He's antirafa, before many of you were anti rafa. But normally he gives clues about his future and he still keeps going about his Wales squad. So I doubt it.

P.S. BTW, one opinion of Toshack is that Dalglish might have been brought for Liverpool as more than a sidekick, but a possible replacement, and he said that back in September.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:35 pm

I have a mate from work who knows John Toshacks nephew well and will do a bit of digging.

Hasn't exactly set the heather on fire with Wales but they are a developing squad team and he's had limited resources to work with. Decent record in club football abroad but I am not sure he is a top class manager like we need. That being said maybe we need to settle for a non top class manager given the state with the clubs ownership/finances etc.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundalk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:37 pm

I dont think its a good move or one that would get the fans excited

The rest of the Premiership would have a good laugh

Remember how you laughed when you heard Keegan was going back to Newcastle....
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Dundalk wrote:I dont think its a good move or one that would get the fans excited

The rest of the Premiership would have a good laugh

Remember how you laughed when you heard Keegan was going back to Newcastle....

A Toshack+Dalglish partnership maybe?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:13 am

i have heard this rumour doing he rounds at the match, an as far as im concerned it can stay a rumour, Toshack manager of Liverpool , feck off ,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:19 am

NANNY RED wrote:i have heard this rumour doing he rounds at the match, an as far as im concerned it can stay a rumour, Toshack manager of Liverpool , feck off ,

Hi Nanny,

The fact that you (and me as well if I'm honest) are considering a successor to Rafa is an indication of how bad things have become at LFC  ???

Whats your call on Rafa ? I think IF we get knocked out of Europe and lose against Pompey I think he'll be up the road..........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:30 am

Is there a chance that the players have given up and want Rafa out?

The Portsmouth game will answer a lot of questions
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:42 am

Dundalk wrote:Is there a chance that the players have given up and want Rafa out?

Judging from the way their playing I'd say that's a distinct possibility Dundalk !

Their demeanor, body language, call it what you will betrays their intentions if you ask me. They will moralize it in their minds and it will make good copy in their autobiographies in years to come I suppose but to me it's an act of betrayal.

I'm not given to outbursts and like to retain some balance in most of my observations and opinions but this present team remind me of the team just before Souness went...........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:13 am

Dundalk wrote:Is there a chance that the players have given up and want Rafa out?

That looks clear. I also think there is a divide in the dressing room. On one hand you've got Reina looking at new terms and Torres in the press backing the manager then you've got Gerrard strolling around looking totally disinterested and Carragher coming out and saying he would have no issue leaving if he's not offered new terms!!

It is not a happy camp at the moment that's for sure.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:24 am

It's not just Rafa though that's the problem. Many of those players should be ashamed of themselves, with the money they get paid week in week out, to underperform like that.
I couldn't help thinking this week, the thousands of fans who follow the team up and down the country and even over to France last night....have the players absolutely no conscience whatsoever ? Is it good enough to sulk about Rafa and *not* play like they do, just to make a point about the manager ? Do the fans deserve THAT ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:41 am

bunglemark2 wrote:

It's not just Rafa though that's the problem. Many of those players should be ashamed of themselves, with the money they get paid week in week out, to underperform like that.
I couldn't help thinking this week, the thousands of fans who follow the team up and down the country and even over to France last night....have the players absolutely no conscience whatsoever ? Is it good enough to sulk about Rafa and *not* play like they do, just to make a point about the manager ? Do the fans deserve THAT ?

An that is my whole gripe about this, they play for LFC and us not Rafa, Its a disgrace ,At least show us some respect and as far im i am concerned there not doing that , there cheating us,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:45 am

NANNY RED wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:

An that is my whole gripe about this, they play for LFC and us not Rafa, Its a disgrace ,At least show us some respect and as far im i am concerned there not doing that , there cheating us,

So do you not put any blame on Rafa at all then?
heimdall

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill