Javi martinez

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:07 pm

Rafa Benitez has been linked with a move for Athletic Bilbao youngster Javi Martinez. This transfer rumour page reckons he is valued at £10 million yet Manchester City are willing to pay £26 million for him. I thought we did not have the money to make big signings like this, and such a big amount on an untested youngster in the Premier League sounds like a bit of a gamble - and how many of these have paid off for Benitez in recent years.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:07 pm

and then because he is young he wont get a game apart from in pre-season where he will look like he has a lot of promise and thenhe might get 15 minutes at the end of a cup game that we have already won!  great!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:56 pm

isn't THAT young and he isn't untested
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:50 pm

JoeTerp wrote:isn't THAT young and he isn't untested

You are right.

I don't follow the primera division as much as I did since the local team I support was relegated. (we're 2nd in segunda this season)

Meaning I rarely see full primera 90 min games as of late. Even the less if the archenemy plays. But I'd say he's a good footballer and that he's progressing.

Never a 26M signing. But 10M would be reasonable. I think at some point you could get him for that price, but if Man City are there to make a bid it's going to be difficult. Because Bilbao sells because they need to sell financially.

Javi Martinez left his home club Osasuna for 5M pounds, which was a record for such a young midfielder.

In normal circunstances a Spaniard would choose Liverpool anyday of the week, but if Man City offers that much it's going to be difficult.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:57 pm

Sabre wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:isn't THAT young and he isn't untested

You are right.

I don't follow the primera division as much as I did since the local team I support was relegated. (we're 2nd in segunda this season)

Meaning I rarely see full primera 90 min games as of late. Even the less if the archenemy plays. But I'd say he's a good footballer and that he's progressing.

Never a 26M signing. But 10M would be reasonable. I think at some point you could get him for that price, but if Man City are there to make a bid it's going to be difficult. Because Bilbao sells because they need to sell financially.

Javi Martinez left his home club Osasuna for 5M pounds, which was a record for such a young midfielder.

In normal circunstances a Spaniard would choose Liverpool anyday of the week, but if Man City offers that much it's going to be difficult.

Athletico Bilbao aren't they keen to make San Jose a permanent edition to their squad ? might give us a tad more leverage where Martinez is concerned ...
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:21 pm

Athletico Bilbao aren't they keen to make San Jose a permanent edition to their squad ? might give us a tad more leverage where Martinez is concerned ...

Yes, you are right and it might help.

Plus, don't forget Spain is a Sky-free country, meaning we haven't that Manchester United shower in our TVs, and Liverpool is still the team with most reputation around here.

Plus the Spanish contingent counts. Torres, Reina, etc.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:47 pm

Hopefully the prospect of playing with his compatriots will be all that is required. If he is swayed by £££ alone then I wouldn't want him here. But I have heard his name before, I think we were linked with him before Xabi left. Hope there is some truth to this one.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:53 pm

Sabre wrote:Yes, you are right and it might help.

Plus, don't forget Spain is a Sky-free country, meaning we haven't that Manchester United shower in our TVs, and Liverpool is still the team with most reputation around here.

I think they rate San Jose highly mate ,that said he had a howler against Anderlecht  tonight ,but I agree about the Spanish contingent currently at Liverpool ,they could provide a greater pull than Cities mercenaries .......
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:52 am

We were linked with him last year. He is a good player. Would slot in nicely beside Mascha in CM.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Sabre wrote:

Yes, you are right and it might help.

so if we were to pillage Spain a la Sir Francis Drake, which player would you pick from Bilbao if you could only take one?  Llorente, Martinez, or Muniain?
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:07 am

Muniain the youngest lad has a lot of things to show yet, we've seen a lot of false dawns in that club.

I'd take Llorente first, Martinez second, and Iraola third.

And after getting the hostages I'd burn the town, as the remaining squad is shíte.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leep33 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:33 am

Martinez is a good player but not worth 26 million, if we could get him for 10 then that would probably be good business, but if we were to sign him then i doubt Aqualani will be staying.
leep33

Return to The Rumour Mill