Ayala

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby adamnbarrett » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:34 pm

from SSN:

The agent of Roberto Ayala has revealed the Argentine defender has offers to move to England, but believes it is unlikely he will leave Valencia this summer.

However, Gustavo Mascardi made it clear Ayala is far from happy with his treatment by the Spanish club and will move on when his contract expires in 12 months' time.

The 33-year-old enjoyed a fine World Cup with Argentina, capped off by a goal in the quarter final defeat to hosts Germany.

His contract with Valencia runs until June 2007 but he rejected an extension because he was extremely unhappy with the terms on offer and has indicated he will not now re-open negotiations.

"We have received offers to go to England next season but the player has a contract with Valencia and his exit would be very difficult," Mascardi stated.

"However, the treatment received by Ayala (from Valencia) was not correct and the decision is clear - next year he will leave the team."

Mascardi went on to confirm that Ayala was tempted by the prospect of a move to England and, although he would be 34 next summer, it is unlikely there would be any shortage of takers for him on a free transfer.

"Ayala is interested in the English option, but in the summer of 2007 he would be able to arrive for free," he added.

Liverpool would appear to be amongst the front-runners for the centre back's services with Rafa Benitez a huge fan having worked with him during his time in charge of Valencia.

-------------------

Even if true, which I doubt. I think we should stay well clear of Ayala. I think he is past it. He would be a liability with his lack of pace. We say how Sammi lacks pace but this guy would be slower. He was a good defender a few years ago, but not good enough to play for us at this stage of his career. He would be like Pellegrino pacewise.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:54 pm

Saw this story and before I even read the whole article I knew our name would be thrown into the mix, but it's clearly lazy journalism, linking us to a player purely because he has played under our current manager in the past.

For Christ sake we have Carra and Hyypia, probably the best defence in the premiership along with Chelsea's, we have spent 5 million on Agger who is was one of the most highly rated young centre backs in Europe and we are bringing in Paletta who is the Argentina U21 captain.  So quite where a 33 year old Ayala would fit into that equation I don't know.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:11 am

john craig wrote:Saw this story and before I even read the whole article I knew our name would be thrown into the mix, but it's clearly lazy journalism, linking us to a player purely because he has played under our current manager in the past.

For Christ sake we have Carra and Hyypia, probably the best defence in the premiership along with Chelsea's, we have spent 5 million on Agger who is was one of the most highly rated young centre backs in Europe and we are bringing in Paletta who is the Argentina U21 captain.  So quite where a 33 year old Ayala would fit into that equation I don't know.

Yeah, I was the same John. Saw the article on Skysports and thought that LFC would be linked...

The guy is 33 years of age. He's probably got a couple of years left in him but surely not with LFC. I respect him as a player but he's not played in the EPL...he'd probably turn out to be another Pelegrino...never really came to terms with the game in England.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 007 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:53 am

john craig wrote:Saw this story and before I even read the whole article I knew our name would be thrown into the mix, but it's clearly lazy journalism, linking us to a player purely because he has played under our current manager in the past.

Maybe he would fit in as a player-coach role... :laugh:
Liverpool for LIFE

Postby red37 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:13 am

007 wrote:Maybe he would fit in as a player-coach role... :laugh:

thats not beyond the realms of possibility.. however distant.

fwiw ayala as a player had a pretty decent world-cup. as a coach?  who can tell unless the guy has displayed those qualities that we and others are bound to be unaware of as yet. thats if he even fancies such a role. he certainly doesnt lack a bit of 'bite' though.

but as a premiership player i think he would almost certainly struggle ala pelligrino.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:10 pm

bbc r5...

Spanish football expert Guillem Balague believes Rafael Benitez is considering making a move for Valencia centre-back Roberto Ayala.

The 33-year-old has less than a year remaining on his current contract and has indicated that he is ready to test himself in the Premier League.

Balague told BBC Radio 5: "Liverpool have been linked to two players from the Spanish league - one is Ayala.

"I think Rafa has got the impression that he's got to pay for another centre-back."

Villarreal and Tottenham have both been linked with the player recently.

this link seems to have some legs to it. well see.
fwiw id have ayala as back-up anyday. but for silly money? ie wages etc..nah.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:15 pm

If it adds quality to the squad which it clearly does then I would be happy to take Ayala to Anfield.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:17 pm

I don't think he'd be another Pellagrino , based on his play in the world cup. So if the price was right i'd have him and all his experience.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:19 pm

(Sung to the tune of "hey hey hey.. goodbye.." )

WE DONT WANT YOU. WE DONT WANT YOU. OH PLEASE NO! STAY HOME.. :D
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:20 pm

anti-hero wrote:(Sung to the tune of "hey hey hey.. goodbye.." )

WE DONT WANT YOU. WE DONT WANT YOU. OH PLEASE NO! STAY HOME.. :D

Why when the guy clearly has the class to play for LFC and do a great job for us!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:26 pm

As long as hes not just after a last big pay deal I dont see why we shouldnt sign him, and he might help Palletta to settle. I would be a bit upset if I was Agger though.
account deleted by request

Postby anti-hero » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:30 pm

HJD..

He's 33.

Slow.

He's nearing the end of his career.

Wanting to play in one of the fastest paced leagues.

Dont get me wrong, he did good in Germany. But dont you think that with Paletta already challenging for a place in a central defence which contains Carragher and Hyypia, there would be very very little playing time for Ayala?

And wouldnt his wages be higher than usual? You know, post world-cup with all the hype surrounding players who had a decent tournament with the media making them a little better than they really are?

At his age, his pace, plus wages and the time for him to settle down on and off the pitch, he is, in my opinion, a huge gamble. And one that if we took, are likely to lose. :)
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:10 am

s@int wrote:As long as hes not just after a last big pay deal I dont see why we shouldnt sign him, and he might help Palletta to settle. I would be a bit upset if I was Agger though.

I had a dream last night that Agger would be sold!!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby OctopusesGarden » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:07 pm

we shouldnt be looking to sign any1 who's 33, too old, to much wages, an whos say's he would help palletta settle? jus because he's an argie?
OctopusesGarden

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:46 pm

anti-hero wrote:HJD..

He's 33.

Slow.

He's nearing the end of his career.

Wanting to play in one of the fastest paced leagues.

Dont get me wrong, he did good in Germany. But dont you think that with Paletta already challenging for a place in a central defence which contains Carragher and Hyypia, there would be very very little playing time for Ayala?

And wouldnt his wages be higher than usual? You know, post world-cup with all the hype surrounding players who had a decent tournament with the media making them a little better than they really are?

At his age, his pace, plus wages and the time for him to settle down on and off the pitch, he is, in my opinion, a huge gamble. And one that if we took, are likely to lose. :)

True.  But the most important fact of all is that he is a gamble we don't need to take.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill