Wayne rooney is worth £50m - Overhype can be destructive to a player

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:39 am

ESPN, Sunday, June 20, 2004

Kenwright: Rooney is worth £50m

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright has valued striker Wayne Rooney at £50million.

Rooney has been England's star player at Euro 2004 in Portugal, scoring twice in the 3-0 win over Switzerland. He has been linked with big-money moves to Premiership rivals Chelsea and Manchester United, but Kenwright insists the 18-year-old will be staying at Goodison Park.

Kenwright told the News of the World: 'David Moyes and I agreed Wayne has to be a £50million player now.

'We do smile about what Wayne is worth but, then again, we also talk about who's going to be alongside him with us next season.

'I would turn down any bid for him and say: 'Thank you very much, what else do you want to talk about?'

'We know what Wayne's value is and our price is that he is an Everton player and we have no reason to believe that will change. I am not here to sell my best players and Wayne wants to stay. Wayne will continue at Everton.'

Chelsea and Manchester United have been linked with Rooney, but Kenwright claimed neither club had approached Everton.

'There have been no bids for Wayne, absolutely not. No approach from Chelsea, nor Manchester United.

'I have heard talk of Manchester United having a done deal. But I have had no contact whatsoever with United, and you would think they would ring, wouldn't you?'

United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy wants Rooney to team up with him at Old Trafford. Van Nistelrooy is leading Holland's attack at Euro 2004 in Portugal, where Rooney has played a starring role for England. Manchester United and Chelsea have been linked with big-money moves for Everton striker Rooney, and van Nistelrooy is a big fan of the 18-year-old.

'He is a phenomenal talent and the prospect of him pulling on a United shirt is frightening,' van Nistelrooy told the Sunday Mirror.

'I don't know many clubs that wouldn't want him in their side. He is an incredible player.

'And if he does become available, Manchester United should do everything in their power to sign him. It certainly excites me to think he could be playing at United next season.

'Anyone who has seen him play knows what a talent he is. Nothing seems to worry him.'
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 98-1069656924 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:28 am

as a blue i think kenwright and co would love to cash in on rooney but i dont think wayne wants to leave everton just yet...
we will see
98-1069656924

Postby begintoend » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:04 am

50mil... just too much. As they said not for sale.
But that kinda $$ is way too impressive to turn down either.
Ronaldinho was at 60mil eh?
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fingaz007 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:24 pm

50mil is a joike :D  :D   :D  :D
Fingaz007

Postby zarababe » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:46 pm

Yeh I think its too much for a developing talent .. he ain't no Pele neither
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA