The Truth is Out There

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:29 pm

Oliver Stone once said: “Paranoia is having all the facts”. Many of us die hard football fans know exactly what he means.

I've long held the view that something very fishy goes on in English football.

I’m not the most naturally trusting of guys anyways. When it comes to institutions, I'm downright skeptical of them. I have very little respect or trust in governments, police, and media or football institutions. It's not me being paranoid either: week after week, I’m proven correct on my doubts about them (to any Liverpool fan the findings of the Hillsborough report came as absolutely no surprise).

When it comes to football, it's not even lack of trust. It's plain common sense.

In recent years, we've had a huge number of corruption scandals all across Europe. Several of them in Italy, the corrupt referee Hoyser in Germany, Fenerbahce being docked their title in Turkey, Spain's second division scandals, Marseille a while ago in France, Porto in Portugal etc...

Of course, the one league where nothing ever gets proven to be dodgy is in England. The richest and most watched league in the world is, we are told, completely squeaky clean.

Leaving aside the sheer ridiculousness of that statement, ask yourself this: if corruption gets proven all across Europe, how is the most popular league in the world, with the biggest prize monies in football, whose clubs are owned by some of the richest people in the world, run by stakeholders that are the most powerful media moguls in the world, immune from this? With the amounts of money at stake, how has it managed to be so clean for so long?

To dismiss any talks of corruption in the premier league is to fall for 2 of the traits that characterize the English the most: a sheer egocentric belief that they are better than anyone else and their complete faith in the country's institutions. To them, it’s entirely logical that that stuff goes on abroad where institutions are corrupt, but it’s impossible in England. Just like diving is a foreign disease and Uruguay is the epicenter of racism, unlike the multi cultural tolerance of middle England.

I share neither of those traits. By pure logic, when I see corruption in every facet of English life (MP's expenses scandal, banking sector, the war on Iraq, Leveson enquiry, Hillsborough, The Guilford 4, The Birmingham 6 et all...) as well as entire European football, I ask why is it impossible as many deem, for it to be happening in English football too?

I have followed football since 1986. I have seen for years how Manchester United benefits from refereeing decisions. I don’t need an investigation to tell me this: it happens on a near weekly basis to the point where people are so immune to it, they laugh it off.

I have seen the influence Alex Ferguson has on every facet of the English game. When his Darren son got fired as manager of Preston North End, I watched with bemusement as Ferguson immediately recalled his loan players from Deepdale. I then watched in horror as another club in the premier league, managed by Ferguson’s father’s friend Tony Pullis, also recalled their loan players from PNE.

The message was clear: Mess with Mr Ferguson or his children, and you will be punished.

And not just from Mr Ferguson either. By his friends in football.

Recently, ex referee Jeff Winter stated that he once sent Roy Keane off in a match. He was then criticized by Ferguson and not given a Manchester United game to referee for 2 years. He saw that as punishment as he said that “The FA is reticent to give Manchester United games to referees that Ferguson has criticized in the past”.

Read that statement again. Ferguson criticizes referees that give decisions against his club. Most likely, these decisions happen in games Manchester United lose. The FA reacts to the criticism by not assigning said referees in future Manchester United games. Thus, the only referees assigned to United games are ones that Ferguson approves of.

The referees that have given decisions Ferguson deem to be incorrect against United, however, no longer referee their games (usually the most high profile ones). It’s a terrible indictment of sporting impartiality, justice and the way the game is run in England. This form of selective referee assignement led to the Juventus scandal in 2006.

Winter’s comments prompted me to do my own research. I focused on the referees that took charge of United 2 biggest high profile losses in the last decade or so.

Alain Wiley refereed United’s 4-1 loss to Liverpool in 2009. In that game, he gave both United and Liverpool penalties and sent off Nemanja Vidic. All 3 decisions were absolutely correct and Wiley was praised by Sky TV co-commentator Andy Gray for his performance. Not even Ferguson complained.

Later that year, Wiley was given another United game to referee and despite sending off Kieran Richardson of Sunderland, Wiley was lambasted by Ferguson for being “fat and unfit”. The game ended 2-2.

That would be the end of Wiley’s refereeing career. Wiley, it says cryptically on his Wikipedia page, “agreed to retire” at the end of that season. Agreed with whom? No one knows.

Last season, Manchester City romped to a 6-1 win at Old Trafford, inflicting on their rivals their biggest embarrassment under Ferguson. The referee on that day was Mark Clattenburg. He sent Johnny Evans off in the second half for a clear professional foul.

There have been 34 Man United league games since that day. The number of times times Clattenburg has refereed them? Zero. Not a single one.

It seems that the FA, for whatever reason, doesn’t want Clattenburg to referee Man United games anymore. Some of us more paranoid folk may just wonder who’s behind that decision.
The FA has no hesitation to hand United games to Howard Webb though: he’s been the most used referee in 34 United games since the 6-1 defeat to City.

Webb’s history in Man United games are well known and documented. All I have to say on the matter is that more than 18% of the penalties he’s awarded in his ENTIRE premier league refereeing career have gone to Manchester United. Over a 9 year period, that’s a huge percentage.

So in closing, let’s resume what we’ve discovered. We have an ex premier league referee who has openly stated he was not handed a Manchester United game for 2 years after sending off one of their players. We have an FA who, in said referee’s words, don’t hand Manchester United games to referees that the United manager has previously criticized.

We have a referee who took charge of a heavy United defeat and “agreed to retire” a year later after being called unfit by Alex Ferguson. We have another referee who hasn’t been handed a United game to officiate since he reffed a heavy United defeat 34 league games ago.

Meanwhile, the most used official in United games in that time is the man who has handed 18% of his entire career penalty awards to Ferguson’s team.

Factor in the fact that Manchester United CEO is ON THE BOARD OF the English FA, Alex Ferguson is a knight of the realm with political connections that go a lot deeper than football (just read Allistair Campbell’s diaries if you don’t believe me), and the evidence in the Darren Ferguson sacking that clubs that cross Ferguson get punished by his friends, and you have all the tools there for someone more investigative than me to really delve into.

But yet, nothing happens. Year on year, I watch as not a single journalist utters a peep on the subject. I watch as decision after decision goes United’s way and people in the UK, so much better than everyone else and trusting of their institutions remember, brush them off with insouciance.

In Italy, there would have been phone tap investigations a long time ago. In "so much cleaner than everywhere else" England, we’re paranoid.

Why is that?

Well, when you look at who runs the sport in the country, you understand a bit more. Rupert Murdoch’s Sky live off the premier league. So do his other publications like the Sun. The English media’s last priority is going to investigate and damage one of their biggest cash cows.

Imagine the hit to the revenue streams of the media and clubs if corruption is proved in the premier league? The richest league in the world, so carefully and beautifully marketed across the world, would suffer a huge blow. The effects an investigation would have on Manchester United, the cash cow’s biggest cash cow, would also be devastating.

So it’s all swept under the tabled and every refereeing decision shrugged off. “They even themselves out” we’re told by journalists who get banned from United press conferences for asking a question about team selection.

God knows what would happen to them if they investigate United’s behind the scenes dealings.

Maybe, like Preston, they’ll learn that if you cross Man United, all of football will turn their backs on you too…

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/

Well now Chris Foy who refereed the Spurs v Man u game got demoted to refereeing a League 2 game because Ferguson criticised him for the injury time.

Hmmm....
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:35 pm

It doesnt surprise you does it?

Since the Premier League began, Manchester United have won title after title, and so many of them were heavily influenced by the referees who made favourable decisions for united. Take the match between Man City and Fulham for instance, Halsey, who gifted united the game against Liverpool, did his best to make it as hard as possible for uniteds rivals, another gift of a penalty for Fulham.

For years, Ferguson has ruled what goes on in the Premier League. He knows who he can influence and who he cant. And he uses that to great effect. Take Luis Suarez, the whole case stunk. One question that is hardly ever raised is, why did the referees report go missing? Was it because, perhaps, nothing was noted about racism per chance?

Take into account Fergie time. Its acknowledged everywhere, even in the press, however the press have a different version to what we know it as. The press believe Fergie time is when his team score in extra time to get the result. And thats it. To the press, that is Fergie time. What they never mention is that Fergie time is time added to allow his team to score the necessary goal(s), then the match ends. Its not mentioned, because put simply its cheating.

Ive asked a friend of mine before about his beloved Man Utd and the refs helping them win titles, and his argument was they have the best players in a great team. He had no answer to the question "why then, havent they won the European Cup as many times as they have the Premier League, considering they have the best players in a great team?"

Rafa Benitez had a decent team, it wasnt the best, but in his short career at Liverpool (compared to the career of Ferguson at United), he won one European Cup, and made another final. Thats still a much better record than Fergusons.

The article is spot on. The English game is corrupt, but nobody can do anything about it.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:19 am

I started reading that MH and thought it was you who wrote that. Then I got to the bottom and realised you didn't write it.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Apparently, Chris Foy, the ref who officiated the match between Man Utd and Tottenham, from now on will officiate only Championship games  :laugh: . Ironically, I just found that out on a Man United facebook fan page.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:07 pm

follow up article to the one my mate wrote

Corruption and Influence Peddling in the English Game

Please follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/DimmyBad

After I wrote my last piece, http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/ ... there.html, on Manchester United’s relationship with the FA, I was taken aback by the response I had.The post has gotten around 30,000 hits in the last 48 hours alone. I suggest to people who haven’t read it to jump to that post now as it gives a lot of background on what we will look at in this article.

As stated in my previous post, the fortunes of the  institutions surrounding football in the UK will be negatively hit should any proof of corruption come out. It is naturally in their interest not to investigate the matter. In fact, the managers that have come out and questioned the refereeing
selection process (Rafa Benitez, Andre Villas Boas) have been turned into laughing stocks by the English press corps.

So, investigate some more I did. And some of the stuff I found out surprised even me.

During United’s title winning 2010/11 season, they only lost 4 league games. I looked at who refereed those games and how long they then spent without being assigned Manchester United games as well their subsequent trend of behavior towards United.

Michael Oliver took charge of their first defeat, the February 2011 2-1 loss at Wolves. He was not given another Manchester United game to referee until December 2011. Since then, Oliver has had 2 United games.

United have won both, with Oliver refusing to give a clear Fulham penalty in the 1-0 United win late last season at Old Trafford; a game came right at the end of the title race. A few weeks ago, Oliver gave United a penalty for a shocking dive by Danny Welbeck in the home win against Wigan.

The second game United lost was away to Chelsea. Martin Atkinson was the referee then and some of his decisions incurred the wrath of Alex Ferguson. Atkinson was not given another United game to referee for an ENTIRE YEAR.

Atkinson was further punished with his decisions that went against United that day. He was not given a single premier league game to referee for a full month. Even worse, he was subsequently given 3 lower league games to referee that season- when he’d previously not officiated a single one
that campaign.

It seems that Atkinson was given a clear message that day.

The 3rd United loss came at Anfield, where a Dirk Kuyt hat trick secured a 3-1 home win. The referee that day was Phil Dowd. He was criticized by Ferguson for not sending Jamie Carragher off. In the very next United game Dowd refereed, he gave them a penalty which secured a 1-1 draw
at Blackburn and their 19th league title.

Giving United penalties in the very next game you referee them after having been criticized is a trend we’ll soon notice.

The final United loss of the 2010/11 season came at the Emirates, where Chris Foy refereed a 1-0 Arsenal win. It will come to no surprise to people to know that Foy was subsequently not assigned a United league game for, again, AN ENTIRE YEAR.

He did however referee 2 United games in the cups during that time. The first was in the Carling Cup against Crystal Palace. He awarded United a penalty. The second was at City in the FA Cup. United got a penalty and Vincent Kompany was sent off early in the game.

To resume, we’ve just analyzed what happened to the 4 referees that officiated United’s 4 league losses in the 2010/11 season. 2 of them were not given any more United league games for a full year (Atkinson and Foy), a third for 9 months (Oliver). 2 of those referees gave United penalties in the very next game (Foy and Dowd) they took charge of and one refused to give a blatant one to the opponents (Oliver). Martin Atkinson, was not given premier league games to officiate for an entire month and assigned to 3 lower league games.

I also looked at Mike Jones after prompting from the comments board. Jones refereed the 1-1 home draw with Newcastle last season and falsely awarded Demba Ba a penalty.

Subsequently, Jones was not given a single football game, at ANY level, to referee for an entire month. The next United game he was handed came a few months later, the 2-0 home win against Stoke which saw… You guessed it: 2 penalties awarded to Manchester United which, according to reports, were “very soft”.

How about Mark Halsey? Well, when he gave WBA a debatable penalty in the 1-1 draw at Old Trafford in May 2005 it was his 5th United game that season. He then also went an ENTIRE YEAR without being given any United games to referee. From 5 games in a season to none for a year. His
record since then? He’s refereed 11 Man Utd games which have seen 11 United wins: the latest coming at Anfield, where 3 controversial decisions went the away team’s way.

In terms of trends, considering what we discovered about Alan Wiley and Mark Clattenburg (whose record with no United games to referee now stands at 36 league games since he took charge of the 6-1 home loss to City), there’s enough to make you wonder what exactly is going on in the
referee selection process. It also ties in perfectly with ex referee Jeff Winter's comments about The FA being reticent to assign United games to referees Ferguson has criticized in the past.

The whole world revolves around incentives and punishment. From a young age, kids are brought up that way. Positive and negative reinforcement are at the very core of child psychology. You can’t blame people who are well aware of the punishment awaiting them (through the form of demotions
and suspension from future United games) if they’d rather go for the safe option of keeping Ferguson happy.

I don’t blame the referees.

The people I blame are the ones that are letting this happen. The media who have not uttered a peep or written a single article about this for 2 decades. The FA who run the game in this country and have allowed this situation to fester. The clubs who see no issue with having David Gill, United's CEO, on the board of the FA. And of course, the PGMOB:  the people who regulate officiating in England

The person at the head of the PGMOB and who is in charge of selecting which referee gets handed which game is Mike Riley, an ex professional referee who is most famous for giving a penalty for a clear dive by Wayne Rooney in the 2004 Man United 2-0 win against Arsenal which ended the
Gunners 49 game unbeaten streak.

Riley was accused of pro United favoritism throughout his career. For younger readers, he’s my generation’s Howard Webb.

According to the Guardian’s research, which goes to back to the beginning of the 1997-98 season until 2004, “Riley refereed 23 United games in all competitions and gave 12 penalties for United in that time, but only three against them. And he has sent off five of United's opponents.

At Old Trafford, Riley's record is weighted even more heavily in favor of United: He gave 10 penalties in the 14 games he officiated to the home side, Manchester United.”

Riley’s bias was so suspected than when was awarded the Everton vs Man Utd FA Cup semi final to officiate in 2009, David Moyes actually called for an investigation on whether Riley was a United supporter.

This is the man who now decides which premier league games to assign to referees.

Add that to everything we’ve found out: the year long waits for referees who take charge of United losses to be given another United game to officiate, the penalties that are given to United in said
referees next United games, the punishment for making mistakes that cost United points (Atkinson’s month long suspension from premier league games, Jones’ 1 month suspension from ALL PROFESSIONAL games), the comments from ex referee Jeff Winter (see my previous post), the fact that 18% of Howard Webb’s career penalties have gone to Manchester United,the retirement of Alain Wiley after being called unfit by Alex Ferguson and, of course, the presence of David Gill inside the FA and surely there’s enough there for some investigative journalist in the UK to actually look more into this.

If only to put the millions of football fans’ across the world’s minds at ease.

Because we could all be wrong and all of this may just be a set of freakish coincidences. Maybe English football is squeaky clean like they make us believe and the referee selection process is completely unbiased.

Maybe we’re just paranoid…

Or maybe not… Chris Foy failed to give Manchester United a penalty in their 3-2 loss to Spurs last Saturday. The PGMOB have not handed Foy a Premier League game to referee next weekend: instead, he will referee in League 2 for the first time in more than 4 years.

Mike Jones meanwhile, who missed a blatant penalty on Luis Suarez at Norwich, will take charge of West Brom vs QPR in the Premier League. Finally, Howard Webb (who sent off Jordi Gomez on Saturday; a red card today rescinded by the FA) will take charge of Newcastle’s home game against…Manchester United.

Why did Foy’s errors on Saturday lead to his demotion to the lowest professional league in England while Webb’s and Jones’ mistakes didn’t cost them?

I guess we all know the answer to that question…

http://www.diminbeirut.typepad.com/

-------

This one in his argument it comes a bit weak regarding the penalty decisions, we definitely should look at how many of them are dubious. However, about the referee it's a shocking realization. Did Mark Hasley get any punishment for his 2 mistakes against us?

Definitely we should look more into it
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Kenny Kan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:19 am wrote:I started reading that MH and thought it was you who wrote that. Then I got to the bottom and realised you didn't write it.

It's written by a Lebanese fella in our supporters group here, I'm just spreading his word :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:37 am

metalhead » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:08 pm wrote:
Kenny Kan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:19 am wrote:I started reading that MH and thought it was you who wrote that. Then I got to the bottom and realised you didn't write it.

It's written by a Lebanese fella in our supporters group here, I'm just spreading his word :D

Damn I had a fiver on it being written by Martinez. :D

Not sure where truth ends and the X-file starts but it certainly will be interesting to read what journos and ex-refs write after Fergie leaves the stadium
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:18 am

I'm sure some is coincidence, but there's just too much there to ignore it, way too much.  People know how much control and power fergie has, and now with gill on the board, they will continue to get things to go in their favor.  It's unfortunate that this happens, but it doesn't surprise me either.  united are the most supported club in the world, so winning is good for the premier league financially because it keeps their bandwagon fans interested.  I imagine something like this could happen to city in the near future if they continue to develop.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:40 pm

The Premier League has denied that Chris Foy's officiating of a League Two game this weekend is as a result of a demotion, following recent criticism aimed at the referee from Sir Alex Ferguson.
Foy was on the wrong end of a furious Ferguson on Saturday, with the Manchester United manager blaming him for his side's 3-2 defeat to Tottenham.

The referee was accused of turning down two clear penalties as well as only playing four minutes of injury time.

The Merseyside official has been given the League Two clash between Accrington Stanley and Rochdale this Saturday in the wake of Ferguson's rant.

However, Premier League bosses insist Foy has not been demoted and have backed his Old Trafford performance.

"There is absolutely no truth in suggestions Chris has been demoted or punished in some way," spokesman Phil Dorward said. "The fact is it is his turn to officiate at a League game this weekend.

"Chris has refereed more Premier League games than most this season and there is a rota system in place.

"We have been delighted with the standard of Chris's performances. He's having a good season."

Foy was embroiled in controversy last season after coming under fire for his performance in Tottenham's 2-1 defeat to Stoke, leading Spurs fans to take to Twitter to abuse the official, only to mistake him for Olympic cyclist Chris Hoy.

So there you have it. <sniff> <sniff> whats that smell?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:54 pm

That is suspect.  :suspect:

You should get that posted on RAWK, some of those internet terrorists on there may know 'what' to do with that.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:21 am

been saying it for years that, that lot are cheating fooking ba$tards.
someday it will come out and they will be destroyed :buttrock
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:28 am

Why does X-Files music play when I read this thread?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby metalhead » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Kenny Kan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:54 pm wrote:That is suspect.  :suspect:

You should get that posted on RAWK, some of those internet terrorists on there may know 'what' to do with that.

the one who wrote is already a member on RAWK, it's been posted there too.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:34 pm

ferguson has taken hypocrisy to a new level.
what a fooking awful cretin that man is, one rule for him and different for the rest. im delighted spurs got one up on the kunt.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... ryers-deal
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Return to Premiership - General Discussion