Owen to man u on a free - Have we missed a trick?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:19 am

For some reason I can't get the link to work from the times online (probably because I'm a useless c...) but they are saying he's off to the Mancs if he passes his medical, for 50K per week. I guess they want to use him as cover, could've been us maybe?
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RobinHood6969 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:36 am

I think he is a C@nt if he joins the scums.  :no Yes as someone said i would have him as cover anyday ahead of vorocr@p
RobinHood6969

Postby Greavesie » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:49 am

I dont like him as it is but if he joins them then any little shred of respect I have for him will soon be out the window and be run over by the next bus. He'd be a pr!ck of the highest order
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Greavesie » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:17 am

just thinking that for free he could have been worth a punt. Can't see this guy in a Manc shirt, I used to worship this lad, I'm actually pretty :censored: off with him now. I hope some :censored: stones the :censored: if he goes there :angry:
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby RobinHood6969 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:30 am

A C@nt is always a c@nt greavie....Hope he pisses at old cr@pford
RobinHood6969

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:41 am

From The Times
July 3, 2009
Manchester United make shock move for Michael Owen

Matt Dickinson, Chief Sports Correspondent

Michael Owen will sign for Manchester United on a free transfer today provided that he passes a stringent medical at Old Trafford.

The move would represent an astonishing turnaround in fortunes for the striker, who was relegated with Newcastle United only six weeks ago. On top of the prospect of winning medals with the Barclays Premier League champions, the chance to pair up with Wayne Rooney will give Owen hope that he can revive his England career.

He has been exiled by Fabio Capello, but England are short of proven strikers with the World Cup finals less than 12 months away and Owen could force his way back into the reckoning if he succeeds at United.

Owen, 29, joined the ranks of the unemployed on Wednesday, when his contract at Newcastle expired, and his agents had been so concerned about a lack of interest that they sent a brochure to Premier League managers setting out his strengths.
Related Links

* Owen is one of Ferguson's strangest signings

* Can Owen really resurrect his career at Old Trafford?

* Owen confirms Newcastle departure

Liverpool, his former club, were among those who showed no desire to sign him, and only 48 hours ago Sam Allardyce said that a deal would be too risky for Blackburn Rovers because of Owen’s injury record.

But Sir Alex Ferguson has decided that with Owen a free agent, it is a gamble worth taking. The United manager is hopeful that his big-match temperament will yield a glut of goals, while Owen will be thrilled after four nightmare years at St James’ Park.

The deal will require Owen to accept a huge drop in salary from the £120,000 a week he was earning on Tyneside. Everton, who made an offer this week, had been willing to pay a basic salary of about £50,000 a week.

The scale of the United deal is not yet clear in terms of length of contract or salary, but United are understood to have included incentives depending on games played, goals scored and trophies won.

First Owen will have to convince the doctors that he is fully fit. He has not suffered a bad injury since snapping his cruciate ligament at the 2006 World Cup finals, which ruled him out almost for an entire season, but there have been a number of niggles and he has lost his once extreme pace.

Ferguson’s interest in Owen is longstanding. He considered buying him when he left Real Madrid for Newcastle in 2005, but he already had Rooney and Ruud van Nistelrooy and was not willing to match Newcastle’s £16.5 million offer. United were considering a £12 million bid the next summer before Owen suffered the injury to his right knee in Germany.

United need attacking options. Cristiano Ronaldo has been sold to Real Madrid for £80 million, Carlos Tévez has departed, seemingly for Manchester City, and Ferguson lost out this week on Karim Benzema, who is bound for the Bernabéu from Lyons.

The intriguing question for United fans is whether Dimitar Berbatov, such a disappointment last season, would lose his place to a Rooney-Owen partnership. Capello, too, will watch with interest. Owen has played only once for the Italian, in a friendly against France in March last year, and the England manager has been sparing in his praise.

Owen, however, will be a lot more optimistic about adding to his 40 goals and 89 caps if he is modelling a United shirt by tonight.

If United’s move for Owen was a shock, Manchester City’s latest attempt to lure John Terry from Stamford Bridge was more predictable. Chelsea confirmed last night that they had rejected a second offer for the England captain, thought to be less than £30 million, after turning down a similar approach last season.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby destro » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:43 am

Shame on you Michael for not staying in the Championship with Newcastle or joining Hull City, how dare you not wait for ever for Liverpool to ask you to sign. One last chance for you to show you still have what it takes at the highest level and it looks like you have taken it, hang your head in shame.
destro

Postby babu » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:52 am

Can't really blame Rafa here for not trying to sign him. Even at half wages he is a huge risk.

This is a gamble by United and one they can afford, but one I don't think we should have even considered.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:54 am

i find it absolutely bizzarre
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:18 am

This is what I said a week ago and I stand by it. If Owen came off the bench and got you the winner a few times in a team which won the league, he'd repay his wages in a heartbeat.

"In all seriousness here, surely he is worth a wee look ???. I know, I know, I know, but just consider for a second. We have Torres up top who is the best striker in the World today IMHO (pauses for breath) and we also have David N'Gog (another breath) or Dirk Kuyt, or the Voronater  ???

Now, I am going to make the assumption that we will sign anoother striker who will be a good player, lets be optimistic and say he'll not only be better than our back ups, but he'll also be better than Owen these days as well. Lovely jubbly.

What if though, just what if. What if Torres gets injured (which would hardly be the biggest shock in the World), and the bloke we sign (say for instance it's that Benzema bloke for the sake of argument) comes in to replace him. After an hour we're at Old Trafford and a goal behind, Benzema is fecked after playing three matches in 8 days and is begining to flounder. Dirk is running up and down the right wing like a Duracell bunny, Babel (sorry Babelians I forgot about him) is listening to some grooves on his I-Pod, while N'Gog is just egg nogging around. Under these circumstances, will we be thinking "feck me, given Owens scored 11 in 17 for Hull we might have been better off having him here at this point"?

On a free, for 50K a week he's 2.5 million quid a year, peanuts by todays standards. Is there no possibility that if we give him a three year contract, he won't at some stage score a couple of goals which are important enough to pay his fee back? I don't think you need a particularly vivid imagination to be able to consider the possibility seriously. Those with a memory could think back to one of the most one-sided cup finals in history which Owen won for us on his own.

When we brought Fowler back it was a very sensible move, if Owens head is right it might be his turn. Just a thought anyway."
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:19 am

Fergie can afford to gamble €50,000 a week on him and Owen could chip in with a few vital goals for them, just like Larsson did a few years ago.  Even at his peak at Liverpool there was always the suspicion that he was a careerist instead of a team player who's first priority was playing for England.  Hence, he never received the same adulation that Robbie Fowler got.  If he does join the scum this point will have been confirmed.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby thegreedo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:25 am

Anybody on this forum who knows me will probably be aware of my views on the little moneygrabbing rat that is Michael Owen. The way he stiffed the club over his move to Real totally disgusted me but with this latest action he has shown how little respect he has for the great club that made him what he is.

I have never booed a returning red but I will give him dogs abuse when he comes to Anfield and I hope there are 45,000 other discusted voices with me!

Hopefully this will put an end to some of the deluded characters on here clambering for Rafa to re sign the dog!

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:27 am

Radio 5 said his agent asked Liverpool if they would like him and our club said no.....again.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Parkinson » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:39 am

He isn't the player we need nor the character.
Parkinson

Postby lakes10 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:43 am

well i think you are all mad, he would be a good player to have, he would always get goals  even if you just put him on in the last 10 mins. I am also sure that we could pay him less than other clubs and he would come here.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion