It probably shouldn't be here but... - Here it is anyway.

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:22 pm

This'll probably get taken off as irrelavent, and rightly so but... I was talking to a bloke in the pub the other night who's a techie for ITV sport. He used to work for SKY and knows all the presenters, Gray, keys etc really well. Anyhow, not exactly earth-shattering stuff this but just so you know, when someone bangs one in from 25 yards and the old speedo spins like a fruitie and stops on 67.8 mph, its a load of old ballacks. Don't listen to "Sir Alex's" bum-chum Andy Gray talling you what an incredible strike it is, apparantly the lads in the studio simply pluck a random figure out of thin air and bung it on the screen. There is no speed-gun or any other means of calculating the shot uses (though I guess they could do it from watching the film if they cared to).   
Apparantly, their byas is even evident here as well, remember Riise's free-kick against the Mancs? I think he hit that about as hard as I've ever seen a ball hit, it got a speed rating of about 65. next week you see Van-Horseface's penalty timed at 72? Do me a favour. The times I've pondered the authenticity of that 65mph rating. Come to think of it, it probably says more about me than it does about them. :D  :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:24 pm

bigmick wrote:This'll probably get taken off as irrelavent, and rightly so but... I was talking to a bloke in the pub the other night who's a techie for ITV sport. He used to work for SKY and knows all the presenters, Gray, keys etc really well. Anyhow, not exactly earth-shattering stuff this but just so you know, when someone bangs one in from 25 yards and the old speedo spins like a fruitie and stops on 67.8 mph, its a load of old ballacks. Don't listen to "Sir Alex's" bum-chum Andy Gray talling you what an incredible strike it is, apparantly the lads in the studio simply pluck a random figure out of thin air and bung it on the screen. There is no speed-gun or any other means of calculating the shot uses (though I guess they could do it from watching the film if they cared to).   
Apparantly, their byas is even evident here as well, remember Riise's free-kick against the Mancs? I think he hit that about as hard as I've ever seen a ball hit, it got a speed rating of about 65. next week you see Van-Horseface's penalty timed at 72? Do me a favour. The times I've pondered the authenticity of that 65mph rating. Come to think of it, it probably says more about me than it does about them. :D  :D

another reason to hate andy gray.  :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby simic_ie » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:29 pm

Well is shouldn't be that hard really to calculate the speed of the shot!! All you need to know is the distance from goal the shot was taken then the length of time taken for the ball to travel that distance. Granted you'd need to know the exact dimensions or the pitch to accuratley get the distance but still a simple computer program would calculate that.  :p
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:33 pm

Jeez Simic-je, you're almost as sad as me mate:D
S'funny, while I was typing it, the same thought occured to me as well. Perhaps I should knock the bloke out next time i see him.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:36 pm

andy gray
:angry: :angry:
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:34 pm

Oh how those long winter evenings must simply fly by at Bigmick's and StMichael's  :;):
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:58 pm

Woollyback wrote:Oh how those long winter evenings must simply fly by at Bigmick's and StMichael's  :;):

Nice to see you post in LFC Gen Discussion again lad.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:00 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Woollyback wrote:Oh how those long winter evenings must simply fly by at Bigmick's and StMichael's  :;):

Nice to see you post in LFC Gen Discussion again lad.

You know how it is, one needs to mix with the masses now and again to keep one's feet on the ground   :;):
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby vlady16.1 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:38 pm

using a radar gun is really inaccurate -- had an acquaintance who took the crown to court & proved he was not speeding -- he's like a mega engineer and was tossed out cause he blinded them with science

anyhow -- a field could be easily digitized thereby making velocity calcs very simple -- kinda like golf ( via gps)-- i thought of doing this on my local course -- maybe then i could break 100
vlady16.1

Postby Dom1 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:44 am

isnt andy great :)
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Return to Premiership - General Discussion