Essien nearly joined lfc - From sky sports

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:25 am

Michael Essien has admitted he is not worth £26 million and revealed he almost joined Liverpool during Gerard Houllier's reign at Anfield.

The Lyon midfielder is finalising his move to Chelsea on Friday after pushing to leave the French champions.

"After the Champions League final, when Steven Gerrard decided to stay at Liverpool, despite contact with Chelsea, I knew I would be the top priority for Chelsea," he told France Football.

"I don't make the decision for my financial value.

"Now it is obvious I am not worth €38 million but that is football business."

The 22-year-old was upset to leave Houllier after the Frenchman tried to bring him to Merseyside before his value soared.

"Two years ago, I was very close to signing for Liverpool before joining Lyon," he revealed.

"But, at that time, I didn't have enough international matches to go [to earn a work permit].

"At first, I was very disappointed.

"This summer, Real Madrid wanted me. But, when the Madrid officials approached my agent, the club had to free a non-European place to hire me.

"Manchester and Arsenal also asked for information. But, as soon as Chelsea threw their hat into the ring, I think no club could compete with them on a financial level, considering what Mr [Jean-Michel] Aulas asked for.

"Chelsea are a very exciting club and I am eager to be there.

"Gerard Houllier was a real gentleman. He wanted to keep me as he already did everything to get me two years ago at Liverpool.

"But he understood that I dream to play in England. He knows what that country represents to me."
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gary106 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:34 am

first ive heard about that mate. would of obviously been a good addition to the squad but i dotn think he'd get the nod ahead of stevie or xabi.
gary106

Postby mighty mo » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:51 am

he is not half the player of gerrard or alonso and it looks like chelski have paid over the odds for another average player,fools they are again will they ever learn
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:37 pm

Houllier earlier said that chelsea had got a very good deal on essien. Knowing houlliers love of paying way over the odds for players why dont that surprise me. He probably thought we got a good deal on diouf and diao, two of senegals finest :D  :laugh:
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:42 pm

I remember us being linked with him a couple of years ago  before he joined lyon I think he was playing for Bastia. I still prefer to have alonso and stevie g
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oOShrimpyOo » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:54 pm

essein from what ive seen of him in the CL looks very good, a combination of him makele and lampard, with robben/duff/SWP on the wings playing 4-5-1 i think chelsea boast the best midfield in the prem by far. im happy with alonso, gerrard and momo we just need to sort out our wingers.
oOShrimpyOo

Postby JC_81 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:54 pm

Just as well for Essien he didn't sign for us back then.  Considering Houllier's unbelievable knack of buying talented youngsters and completely stifling their development.  Take a look at Alou Diarra for an idea of how Essien might have turned out for us.

Having said that, I don't think even now that Essien is as good as Gerrard or Alonso.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maiffret » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:47 am

mighty mo wrote:he is not half the player of gerrard or alonso and it looks like chelski have paid over the odds for another average player,fools they are again will they ever learn

Hello
Firstly, I'm french and I will try to write english.
Secondly, Congratulations for your come back in the europe leadership.

To speak about Essien. Sure, Steven Gerrard is the best in this post, but you will see. Mike Essien is a very good player. Very strong, speed, great fighting spirit and he score for very importants matches.
38M€ is very expensive but Essien will be on the podium on the best player in this post (with xabi and Steven ?)

enjoy
maiffret

Postby spion » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:07 am

Who cares Maradona nearly joined Sheffield United for £250 thousand & they said it was too much!!!
spion

Postby <-alonso-> » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:10 pm

people may consider me a prat for saying this, but i think he's b()ll()k$
<-alonso->
(-alex-)
<-alonso->

Postby looprevil » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:39 pm

I'm just going to wait to see how he plays before playing judgement.  My initial reaction was that his signing was for too much, but for fecks sake I'm glad it is finally done.  I'm tired of hearing about it and I live on the west coast of Canada, cant imagine how tired you guys got of it. 
This could be a potentially dangerous signing for Chel$ki, with all the talented supposed first team players sitting on the bench I can see frustration sinking in and its going to be hard to appease everyone for playing time.  You just know Lampard will start every game, so will Makelele (sp?) and Robben.  So that leaves Duff SWP Essien Cole and others fighting for 1 or 2 spots.  It also makes Gudjohnsens playing time potentially decrease.  With the world cup coming up I think a lot of players will be :censored: if they don't get lots of first team action to show their potential for national sides.  Since Carvalliho already spoke out it could be just a matter of time before other bench warmers start to complain.
looprevil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:41 pm

essien.......the new patrick viera.......and Houllier should know hes seen a few :laugh:
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion