Arshavin... - The danger of the morientes syndrome?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:50 am

stmichael wrote:Fantastic player imo. His goal at the weekend was sublime.

He actually scored a similar goal like that for Russia, from a tight angle into the roof of the net like...

Anyway he is world class imo but the thing is due to how the Russian season runs he will not get to fulll fitness until perhaps this season finishes so I think next year he will be even better.

Shame we missed out on him. Hopefully Rafa will bring in someone else as good.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:16 am

Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:13 pm

Odd looking chap.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:41 pm

Whats with that celebration? Looks a bit wierd with his tongue hanging out. Infact one thing I have noticed alot of the Arsenal players have strange and stupid goal celebrations. Eboue the other day starting doing this wierd dance, so ridiculous I cannot even describe it. And then Adebayor last season in the CL QF after he scored he started doing something similar. Although he wasn't celebrating 2 mins later. :laugh:

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:07 am

bavlondon wrote:Whats with that celebration? Looks a bit wierd with his tongue hanging out. Infact one thing I have noticed alot of the Arsenal players have strange and stupid goal celebrations. Eboue the other day starting doing this wierd dance, so ridiculous I cannot even describe it. And then Adebayor last season in the CL QF after he scored he started doing something similar. Although he wasn't celebrating 2 mins later. :laugh:

:D  You mean the one where he was telling the Arsenal fans that they may as well go home now......its in the bag. Ooops! Silly boy.

As for Arshavin - class. Would have fit in here a treat. Ah well...like he said himself after arriving .."Iam gooner"  Gone now, get over it. Would have been nice though - just to see him in 'our' red.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:08 pm

What a player. Absolute class.

Still can't believe that we weren't in for him. Just imagine him and Gerrard in and around Torres.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby das20093 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:31 pm

:censored:
das20093

Postby JamCar05 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:44 pm

stmichael wrote:What a player. Absolute class.

Still can't believe that we weren't in for him. Just imagine him and Gerrard in and around Torres.

According to some article I read on the web a while back (I can't remember the source unfortunately), we actually did make a late effort to snatch him from under Arsenal's noses as Keane came closer to the exit door. Don't know if this has got any truth in it though, but he is indeed quite a handy little player.
JamCar05

Postby bigmick » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:28 am

Well referring back to my thoughts in the topic starter, they certainly found a space for him to play in tonight, wide left and up against Arbeloa. In truth I didn't think he actually did much if that doesn't sound too ridiculous when he scored four goals. That said, there were moments aside from the goals when there was a perceptive little pass, a drop of the shoulder etc which were enough to confirm initial impressions that he is a player with immense ability.

Prior to the one where he completely miskicked it and fell over, he shimmied past Arbeloa with a subtle little dummy which was of the highest class. There were other moments when the abilty to drift around the pitch into little pockets of space found him available, the first goal being a classic example. Here he was open, open, not, then open again and the little square pass left him with an easy finish. People will remember the second goal and rightly so as it was top drawer.

He continues to remind me of Peter Beardsley and praise doesn't come much higher than that. The fact that he can obviously play in a fairly disciplined wide role as well as playing as a support striker, despite not yet being fully converscent with the physicality of the Premiership indicates to me that he will prove to be a good buy. We'll need to acquire someone similar in the Summer, and I can't get away from the thought that we should perhaps of made more of a play for buying him when Arsenal did.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:22 am

wow
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Sabre » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:29 am

I was surprised to watch Fabregas and Arshavin together, not that they can't of course, but that's a risky bet of Wenger. You only can play a Xavi and Iniesta or a Fabrega and Arshavin if your posession is spot on. And the "excilliating flowing football" of Arsenal is light years away of Barcelona. In fact I think they could have paid dearly such a valiant (or reckless) bet, if Arshavin wasn't on fire and we didn't do unLiverpool mistakes.

. We managed quite well to keep these two under control (or as is said above, they didn't do much), but we made 4 odd, unLiverpool mistakes and he punnished us big time.

Top player.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:13 am

You know, I can't help but thinking that a Steve McMahon of old would have creamed Arshavin last night and nullified him right from the off. Call me cynical, but it's effective...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby tubby » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:05 am

World Class player imo. We need someone like him here. Hats of to him though. He is not even fully fit either.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:13 am

We got Benayoun, he didnt exactly play poorly yesterday, and he can play.
Arshavin is a class apart tho, but we got some decent players when they are in the mood
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:41 pm

Deffo a good player who I think has what it takes to excel in English football.  As Mick says, he's clever at creating space for himself and that's vital in a physical league.  (Much like Torres, who gave a master class in creating space with his stutter-step and shot for his 2nd last night.)  Quality like that eventually tells when given the opportunity to shine...unfortunately we gave him 3 gilt-edged opportunities last night.  Let's hope he does the same against the Mancs.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion