The shawcross tackle

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby andy_g » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:24 am

anyone else see the incident with shawcross and ramsey?

first off, its a terrible injury - something i wouldn't even wish on gary neville - and my heart really goes out to aaron ramsey. i hope he makes a speedy recovery.

secondly, why does arsene wenger have to be such a complete and utter bellend? i've watched the incident 3 or 4 times just now on youtube and i fail to see where there is any malice or intent in the tackle. it looks to me like nothing more than two players going in fast for a 50-50 ball. shawcross goes to kick the ball but ramsey's leg gets there a split second before.

you can see that shawcross is shocked and disconsolate by what has happened so i don't know why wenger has to wade in with all his ridiculous accusations and persecution complex. yes, we all know that arsenal play lovely football and have some talented young players, but his conviction that every other team only wnats to kick them, hurt them and stop them playing their beautiful game is bordering on the ridiculous.

shawcross is a very, very promising young defender (one i'd be happy to see us sign up) and i really hope that this very unfortunate incident doesn't negatively affect his own development.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:59 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpS8bOmO2fY
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:31 am

what's the point you're trying to make their owzat? its fairly plain in that clip that the one jumping towards the ball is ramsey and the one trying to kick it is shawcross.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:11 pm

Did I say I was trying to make a point, I merely posted a link because you refer to an incident some may not have seen and on other forums people have suggested there is a lack of replays - like MOTD didn't replay it, even after the watershed.

Not everything has to be "making a point" yet a lot of people on forums will (try and) read between lines that aren't there
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Owzat wrote:Did I say I was trying to make a point, I merely posted a link because you refer to an incident some may not have seen and on other forums people have suggested there is a lack of replays - like MOTD didn't replay it, even after the watershed.

Not everything has to be "making a point" yet a lot of people on forums will (try and) read between lines that aren't there

MOTD did replay it at to show it wasn't a malicious tackle. Wish they hadn't though as it made me feel sick! Horrible accident- don't think he was trying to do that, he kicked him with the front of his foot, not his studs like most that break legs.
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:52 pm

Are you sure? I watched it on Saturday and again on Sunday and they didn't replay it other than show the incident. If that's what you mean then sorry if I wasn't clear, they showed it but didn't do replays
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Its obvious Shwacross was going for the ball.. Wenger is just being an idiot saying that its all a big conspiracy against Arsenal :D
Fauxy

Postby Boocity » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:17 pm

He was going for the ball and it wasn't malicious but it was reckless he shouldn't have lashed at it like that, its not as if he was hoofing out a loose ball from defence.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Owzat wrote:Are you sure? I watched it on Saturday and again on Sunday and they didn't replay it other than show the incident. If that's what you mean then sorry if I wasn't clear, they showed it but didn't do replays

The Sky coverage didn't replay the incident but MOTD just replayed the live incident that was originally filmed by Sky- horrible.

Anyway, still don't think he meant it, was just going in seriously hard for the ball which in itself wasn't really warranted as it was quite obvious he'd probably hurt the other guy (don't think he meant to snap his leg though).
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:06 pm

Owzat wrote:Did I say I was trying to make a point, I merely posted a link because you refer to an incident some may not have seen and on other forums people have suggested there is a lack of replays - like MOTD didn't replay it, even after the watershed.

'kin 'ell, owzat. chill out, mate. i was only asking in case you were trying to point out something i'd missed. maybe i was too busy working out how exactly to read between lines that aren't there...

:;):

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:24 pm

I've only seen the youtube replays but it looks a little reckless. Nothing over and above what we saw in the derby mind.

I do wonder to what extent leg strength and shin pad adequacy affected the outcome.
LFC2007

Postby Greavesie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:41 pm

Owzat wrote:Are you sure? I watched it on Saturday and again on Sunday and they didn't replay it other than show the incident. If that's what you mean then sorry if I wasn't clear, they showed it but didn't do replays

they replayed in on MOTD on Saturday mate, defintiely

as regards to the tackle, Shawcross looked like he was beating himself up about it enough, he was in tears leaving the pitch

I can't stand Wenger, there's no need for him to come in kicking the lad while he's down
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:37 pm

I thought it was just mistimed.
It was a very robust challenge though but just one of those really unfortunate things.
There is no way he meant it at all.

Bob Wilson did say that teams are not going out to deliberatly injure Arsenal players but they are going into challenges a bit more reckless against them possibly.
Due the old Arsenal have a soft centre argument and if you get in there faces and stop them playing that's half the battle.
I would go along with that tbh, i dont think any of the challenges are meant to be malicious, just mistimed and that can end up being dangerous.

Hope Ramsey recovers quickly and gets back to the same level as i think he has the ability to be a top top player.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Return to Premiership - General Discussion