Better 2nd half - Gerrard

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Matt D » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:26 am

I think i was watching a different game last night to everyone else, i thought Gerrard did nothing last night and it was only when Hamman came on that we actually looked like we could score. I am not slagging Gerrard off one bit because he is Liverpools greatest asset and one of, if not the best centre midfield in the world, but we cant always rely on him.
I think with Hamman on and playing with Alonso or Gerrard it gives them a license to go further up the park to create opportunities for themselves or others.
I dont think we should be negative about last night, United still are good opposition whether we like it or not (i certainly dont) and playing them at their own park - and they always seem to play their best against us.
There were positives to be taken from the game like the spirit we showed in the second half and the control we had in midfield with Alonso again having a stormer.
I think we all need to see Baros, Cisse and Kewell starting to perform. Kewell doesnt look the player we know he was - he looks scared to take people on and with a couple of step overs which looked almost embarrasing compared to that of the performance of Ronaldo for the sh*t was uncomparable.
I still think Cisse and maybe Baros need more time to adapt to each others style of play, but cisse needs to put more effort into chasing balls -  evn when it looks like a lost cause or he wont be to much of a hit with the fans
These are still early days and we are rebuilding a team - with a new manager and new regime - Rome wasnt built in a day
Matt D

Postby mynameisred » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:01 am

Good post no bandwagoning here then. Yeah agree there was alot of positives from last night and although it was strange but didi and alonso did have a dynamism that the gerrard-alonso partnership lacked.In the short term I think these two would provide a solid midfield pairing as it will allow alonso to be the main ball player and take a bit more responsibility which based on last nights performance was what he needed. IMO alonso looks like another leader on the pitch and you can already see the influence of training with Gerrard on his style of defensive play. I know its sacreligious but IMO he is a more intelligent footballer than Gerrard and technically is perhaps the best ball player Ive seen since Molby. However Gerrard will always be the main man due to his standing in the game his attitude on the pitch and the fact that he can do everything so we will miss him but we should be covered in the middle. Another positive was the performance of both Josemi and Finnan down the right, ok Finnan isnt ideal there and when Nunez comes back I expect him to move in there but Finnan is playing his heart out at the mo and they have a good understanding and look solid (Giggs was relativly quiet). Didi well what can we say, whenever he plays for us whoever the boss he makes us look a better team his decision making is top drawer and brings a composure to our midfield, Risse looks like he is chomping at the bit at the mo and whilst his defending could be better his pace is invaluable to our back four. Garcia could turn out to be our zola so we have to accept the games when he works and the games where he doesnt but im sure over the course of the season it will be more of the former.
However we have problems and Im loathed to criticise good players so early but we need a GK, you can now plainly see Dudek doesnt inspire confidence in the back four and perhaps it would be good for both parties if he moved on as he should be a good keeper. Cisse will become a good player but he is not a target man and will not hold the ball up he is not that type of player (Rafa would have played Heskey right up top with him I reckon if he hadnt gone). The main problem is Baros, good pace and skill and great finisher but poor touch, poor awareness and is too greedy around the 18 yard box. Im not sure if he will be about after xmas as I think you need to play to his strengths in the way GH did with Owen and Im not sure if Rafa plays in the same mould. Most importantly we need a centre half who is big, strong, quick and not scared to pick upthe odd card, we lack a meaness and presence at the back bigtime. Ayala should be the ticket and he wouldnt have played any champs league by jan as he is injured.
Regarding last nights game we looked overawed in the first halfbut the scum where well up for it and it was to our credit that we kept the score at 1-0. In the second half we, especially towards the end, had them on the back foot and remember this is at old trafford where attacking them often ends in giving them late goals but they didnt really have any clear cut chances. For Rafaits only been seven games and my priorites havnt changed. I wanted to see a better standard of footballespecially at Anfield as I believe we will have good enough players with additions at jan sales to make sure of champs league football again. If we continue to improve and our football continues to flow better we will be happy fans at the end of the season no question. Last night we played Man Utd, bouyed up with Ferdinads return and the return of others coupled with having a point to prove and the fear of dropping even more points behind Arsenal. We can play alot better and we will so lets just relax a little and keep the faith.
Peace
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Matt D » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:44 am

good reply and i totally agree with the Dudek scenario - he cant fill any of the fans with confidence never mind his defence.
I think overall come January we could probably do with a new player in defence, midfield - on the flanks, striker - a holding player and maybe a 2nd goalie with kirkland no 1
Matt D

Postby kazza » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:42 pm

I was unhappy with the lack of passion some of the players showed. I thought Cisse was the worst. Aside from the two goals that went in unchallanged (apparently it was Cisse's job to mark Silvestre and he was quickly subbed as soon as they scored the second), but Cisse got caught offside too many times and one of them he was on the halfway line, and he did not make those unselfish runs needed by the forward. He needs to show more passion especially against Man U.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:45 pm

Cisse is not yet at the level to play the demanding role he was supposed to play last night but he WILL come good. If your looking for passion watch the Bolton game I thought he was going to clobber Baros.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:53 pm

have to agree with the general consensus of points made on this thread.I've always said we need a dominant centre-half in the Ayala mould and I'm sure Benitez has someone in mind come the January sales.
   With all the turmoil at Madrid at the moment,I wonder wether Rafa might be tempted for a bid for Woodgate come the turn of the year!
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby mynameisred » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:03 pm

Nobodys noticed my Ferdinads joke yet. No I dont think hes the nut.s he needs to get back to the east end the bawd bwoy yardie that he is.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:57 pm

i read the papers this morning and all they're banging on about is "ferdinands glorious comeback". i'm sorry but he had no bearing on the game last night. i thought we were poor and deserved nothing out of the game. basically, if we are going to defend so poorly from set pieces on a regular basis we are going to struggle this season.  :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:44 am

Ferdinand whacked Garcia from behind and he did not get carded. They said it was a mistimed tackle due to his absence from the game. Garcia seemed to disappear for a long while after that. Other than that, Ferdinand  was not really challenged in the game.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:51 am

Anyone else but me notice that the Man u /Liverpool fixture was moved to Monday to accommadate Rio ?

For the last 5 years this fixture has been played on a Saturday morning ???

Last season it was on a  Saturday afternoon at OT but that was the second fixture of that season,. I maintain the FIRST Man U /LFC game of any season in the last 5 years has been on a Saturday morning.

Just goes to show you who REALLY run the Premier League

??? ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:54 am

Ferdinand getting MOM was a joke, anyone with a hole in thier backside could see it was Ronaldo.

The previous poster has made a valid point that Ferdinand was hardly tested. So this is Sky's sentimental trip by giving Rio the MOM is it when if he was an athlete he would have got 32 years ban minimum for failing to take a drugs test.

The FA and SKy wil soon have to have their lips surgically removed from Fergie's backside !!!
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:54 am

Ermmm thats a  2 year ban by the way :D 32 is a bit harsh EVEN if it's a MAN U player !!!! :laugh:
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion