Dean ashton

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:01 pm

West Ham's former England striker Dean Ashton has announced his retirement at the age of 26 after failing to recover from a long-term ankle injury.

Ashton broke his left ankle while training with England in August 2006, ahead of a friendly with Greece.

He underwent several operations but was unable to return to full fitness and has followed medical advice to retire.

West Ham chief executive Scott Duxbury told the club's website: "This is a sad day and our thoughts are with Dean."

Ashton scored 19 goals in 56 appearances for the Hammers after joining them from Norwich in a £7.25m move in January 2006.

The former Crewe striker earned an England call-up for the friendly with Greece in August 2006, but he broke his ankle in training for that game and missed the whole of the 2006-07 season.

He returned to play 35 games in 2007-08 and made his England debut under Fabio Capello in May 2008 when he faced Trinidad & Tobago.

Ashton signed a new five-year contract at Upton Park that summer but sprained his ankle in training September 2008 and did not play competitively again.

He made several attempts to return but concerns that continuing his career would affect his mobility later in life led him to decide to end his playing career.

Duxbury added: "I would like to place on record our thanks to him for all his efforts and wish him the very best.

"I would also like to thank the fans for their patience and understanding during what has been a difficult time."

A real shame for him . Good player
Benny The Noon

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Wonder if Stu is in mourning?

You know he used to play with Dean Ashton...
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanklygates » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:14 pm

ok that is a shock:(.

ashton was a quality player, likened to shearer sometimes, such a shame when a quality player is forced to hang up his boots and you have players like joey barton who dont deserve to be professional footballers.
shanklygates

Postby Greavesie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:39 pm

thats what internationals do to you  :angry:  :D

Good luck Dean in the future, gutted for you
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby metalhead » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:35 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Wonder if Stu is in mourning?

You know he used to play with Dean Ashton...

:laugh:  :D ,

To be fair to Ashton, he has loads of potential, shame about the frustrating injury :(
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:59 pm

Feel sorry for the lad, good pro, an yet youve got footballers now who dont give a s.hit, only whats in the wage packet, I sincerly hope he gets a future in the game coaching or something
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:13 pm

i agree nan, i really hope west ham look after him an give him a testimonial he deserves! would be interesting if he can claim some sort of compo from the f.a as his injury with the national side all be it in training sealed his fate. a good,hard working player like that deserves looking after financially imo.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:27 am

When he was fit he always looked a decent striker. Shame to see him retire so early.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion