Spanish pride

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:15 pm

hey
i just wanted your opiniosn on something, and to listen to me for a second waffle on about the spaniards. When we signed them i was alittle wary but knew the skill the players possessed. I guess weve all seen too many flops recently to get too excited.

Then last weekend and last night it erally made my mind up. Ive never seen players look so happy to be ina liverpool shirt as the fans all sing YNWA. Alonso and Garcia looked filled with pride as could be seen by the size of the grins. it was all awe inspiring. Then as everyone played football they were all clapping each other and working well as a unit.
Garcia can already read was Gerrard is going to do and Alonso has got one of the best footballing brains around.
Lets not forget Josemi either, the guys a hard as nails left back.

I guess im just saying that french, spanish, czech, whatever. If you are proud to wear the red then u r scouse to me

keep it up lads and lets see the same spirit against the scum on monday
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fat Controller » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:57 pm

Alonso,Garcia and Josemi have all come from the best league in the world to play for the most famous club in Britain and I would say that is why they look so proud and happy when they wear the Liverbird upon their chests,when you think that Carcia could have stayed at Barcelona because they never wanted him to leave and that Alonso was being sought by the biggest clubs in europe it says something about just how much Liverpool as a club are thought of throughout the football world.
Fat Controller

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:01 pm

Fat Controller wrote:Alonso,Garcia and Josemi have all come from the best league in the world to play for the most famous club in Britain and I would say that is why they look so proud and happy when they wear the Liverbird upon their chests,when you think that Carcia could have stayed at Barcelona because they never wanted him to leave and that Alonso was being sought by the biggest clubs in europe it says something about just how much Liverpool as a club are thought of throughout the football world.

it is one of the most famous football clubs in the world. however i do think the profile of the new manager had a big impact on attracting these players. could you really see alonso coming here if houllier was still manager?
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:04 pm

Agreed,  the value of Rafa not just as the manager but also the recruiting officer cant be overlooked
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fat Controller » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:12 pm

I would agree stmichael that Rafa being manager of Liverpool had a hand in thes players coming to Liverpool but i dont think the same players would have landed on these shores if say Rafa had been manager of Aston Villa,Bolton or Spurs.
Fat Controller

Postby addicted norwegian » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:14 pm

Fat Controller wrote:Alonso,Garcia and Josemi have all come from the best league in the world to play for the most famous club in Britain and I would say that is why they look so proud and happy when they wear the Liverbird upon their chests,when you think that Carcia could have stayed at Barcelona because they never wanted him to leave and that Alonso was being sought by the biggest clubs in europe it says something about just how much Liverpool as a club are thought of throughout the football world.

Liverpool is a great club, no doubt about that, but I don`t think that Alonso, Garcia and Josemi would have signed for us if Houllier still reigned (I`m not picking on GH, more crediting Rafa). Imo them signing for us is a result of their respect for Rafa, knowing what he can accomplish at Anfield, more than a life long dream coming through when they put on the Liverpool kit.

But I`m convinced that they will be 100 % committed to the club, and with yesterday`s performance in mind; I`m so ****** glad that they are here :)  Hail Rafa :)
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:16 pm

Sorry about that StMike. You allready made my point. Glad you agree though :)
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:29 pm

hail rafaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:44 pm

I think the triangle of Gerrard,Luis and alonso was awesome last night and they can all switch rolls at any time, Last year how many star players did we have? 1 Steven gerrard. Now look at us now after last night....Sami and jamie were rocks at the back, riise is back to top form, Josemi, class....need i say more about him, Finnan another good game better than he evr played under GH, gerrard just keeps on performin to his highest standards, Alonso passin is an absolute joy and lusi and cisse are strikin up a hell of a partnership. If Kewell can just get right back to top form we will be a force to be reckoned with and with baros, pongolle, warnock, potter, hamann, nunez and others waiting in the wings we are gonna have a hell of a squad........OlA benitez!
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:51 pm

It is great to see how proud these players are and how they enjoy to hear the fans sing YNWA. :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:32 am

This article from soccernet would seem to back the influence of Rafa

Garcia's Anfield sacrifice paying off

Luis Garcia turned his back on life by the Mediterranean to follow his mentor to the banks of the Mersey, and Liverpool are now reaping the benefit.
Rafael Benitez has infused Spanish tactical acumen to the team's naturally English instincts, and his restructured side sit top of Group A after their 2-0 Champions League opener against last season's runners-up, Monaco.

Alongside countryman Xabi Alonso, Garcia is already captivating the Liverpool public with his skills, pace and trickery.

The 26-year-old who Benitez branded 'the beach boy' when he first introduced the diminutive attacker, is already repaying the belief the new Liverpool boss has shown in him.

'The manager has always shown a lot of faith in me and the very fact that I gave up my home and family in Barcelona to come to Liverpool shows how much faith I have got in Rafael Benitez,' said Garcia.

'He has given me the opportunity to play in front of such great support as there is here at Anfield and I am grateful for the opportunity.'

The culture change for Garcia has been appreciable.

He has given up the sun and glamour of Barcelona, and his home by the sea, to move to the north west of England, following the man who has made it his mission to be a success in the Barclays Premiership.

Garcia and Alonso were a joy to watch as Liverpool returned to the Champions League with a stylish show. The Anfield public should now need no more convincing that Benitez is on the right track.

The goals came from Djibril Cisse and Milan Baros, but it was the manner of the victory which thrilled the Kop and no doubt impressed the watching Gerard Houllier.

Even Monaco's number one fan Prince Albert. sitting in the front of the directors' box, must have been impressed.

They saw speed, movement and slick passing, and it was hard to understand how - aside from the few new arrivals - this was the team which struggled so badly for long spells last season.

Barcelona did not want to lose Garcia, who was under Benitez's wing at Tenerife.

But Garcia's faith in the former Valencia boss was absolute, and the prospect of regular first-team football was an added enticement.

'I left a great club, yes, but I have come to another great club in terms of Europe, and hopefully we can build on what we have done here against Monaco and continue to reinforce that greatness,' said Garcia.

Garcia has been used by Benitez to devastating effect in a free role behind a single striker, and Monaco never came close to containing his runs and speed of thought.

He said: 'I can link with either Cisse or Baros, they are both fantastic players. Because of the way I play, it is easy to line up with either, and a pleasure to work with them both.

'Playing just behind the central striker is my favourite position. It gives me space and time to work and I am certainly enjoying playing in this team.

'But I am happy wherever the manager puts me, I can play in several positions and it is up to him where I play.'

If the adventure and movement came from Garcia, the Latin precision came from the elegant Alonso, who has taken just a little longer to convince the Kop of his talents.

Alongside the similarly impressive Steven Gerrard in central midfield, the raking passes and incisive distribution of the only current Spanish international among Benitez's new boys, shone like a beacon.

He does not possess Gerrard's running power or Garcia's speed, but Alonso's brain is sparkling with invention and decisive distribution.

It may have been what Benitez continually calls another 'small step', but Alonso is confident of the future even after just one game in the Champions League.

He said: 'I firmly believe Liverpool have the team, the tactics and the belief to do something very important in the Champions League.

'There is no reason why we can't be the surprise team in this year's competition.

'Rafa Benitez has proved in Spain he is one of the best coaches around and now he has a great chance to do something even more special by bringing trophies to Anfield, either English prizes or European ones.

'He did it with Valencia and I am confident he will do it with Liverpool as soon as he can. His tactics and beliefs are ideally suited to winning European games.

'You saw that last season when he won the UEFA Cup with Valencia.

'I am too young to remember Liverpool winning the European Cups in the 70s and 80s, but my father, who was a professional player back then, has told me all about their great European history.

'I am under no illusions that wearing this red shirt is something very special and I meant it when I said it was a dream come true to sign for Liverpool.'

The next challenge for Benitez and his Spanish acquisitions arrives on Monday with the clash against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

That will be a very different type of game and occasion, but Liverpool's confidence - almost shattered under the previous regime and the pressures which dogged Gerard Houllier - is returning.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion