Swimming for dummies - I don't get it

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Sabre » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:39 pm

dawson99 wrote:so should the new bikes be banned? new football boots, running shoes?

Should every cyclist still be on a chopper?

Move with technology people, thats what I say.

Well, that's what I wanted to debate, were lies the frontier between "normal technology development" and "cheat".

Not that you throw the suit and it swims alone or has an engine no? For instance in cyclism nowadays bikes weight 6 or 7 Kg less than in the sixties, and climbing mountains with a new bike is easier.

The quotes of reg have been interesting, and I didn't know it took 45 mins to wear one neither.

I can understand that destroying records of the past somehow is unfair to swimmers like Spitz and people like that, but I don't consider studying how to swim more effectively cheating, at the end Phelps will keep winning if he wore one.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Bear in mind guys that these suits are filtering down as far as kids swimming events.... its putting totally unnecessary pressure on parents, coaches and the the whole system. So unnecessary when you think about it, God gave you your own swim suit, use it and be happy.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:37 pm

LFC2007 wrote:This is a sport practiced widely by people even in the most unfortunate circumstances. This isn't having the ability to buy the latest pair of football boots - something that will have little real effect on a kid's ability to develop a career in the sport of football, this is an entire suit that costs a grand per meet. Is it really in the best interests of the sport of swimming to effectively limit elite level participation to only the wealthiest and most advanced nations?

Is there any actual benefit to anyone, whatsoever?

As far as I can see there isn't.

In the front of competitive sport you have convinced me I can't see benefit to anyone. Fair enough.

But in the scientific front, studying the hydro dynamics, studying how to make more effective the human swimming technique is very interesting. Many lives are saved because people swim and save other people, I'm all for giving those suits to the people saving lives. My point is that as a research, it's an interesting one.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:51 pm

don't think that they should be banned. its about pushing the limits of what humans are capable of. the BIGGEST thing that separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom is our ability to make tools, denying technology doesn't make sense.  maybe the purists can have their own separate all naked event in addition to the regular schedule.
JoeTerp

Postby Reg » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:07 pm

Joe, lets take your enthusiasm for technology to the enth degree and allow human embryo modification so we can create gold medalists in the lab. Why not?  Who'll care about the suit if you create the pure racing machine in the lab?

You have to draw the line someone mate or we´d all be walking round with 12 inch todgers wouldnt we? :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Mick has a shop full doesn't he? :laugh:

The swim suit ban is just about them drawing a line. If they allow this suit then somewhere they'll have to draw another line past which things are illegal.

If we allowed technology to enter every sport then the 100m final would be contested by 10 guys with those kangaroo-style artificial legs. Then what? Swimmers with fins for limbs? Long-jumpers with pneumatic jumping rods in their shoes? Goalkeepers with goal-sized gloves? They aren't actually illegal by the way :laugh:
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:23 pm

Some good points and counter points, Link

I agree with scotswim.
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:47 pm

good debate thread that lfc2007, it's so civilised it almost seems a newkit discussion

:D
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:59 pm

Reg wrote:with 12 inch todgers wouldnt we? :laugh:

speak for yourself if you already aren't  :cool:             :D
JoeTerp

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum