Sky sports readers team of the year - Liverpool 3 - 1 manchester utd

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Discuss:

Goalkeeper - Edwin van der Sar

There is no disagreement in the No.1 position as Manchester United shot-stopper Van der Sar gets the nod ahead of our other candidates - Pepe Reina, Mark Schwarzer, Shay Given, Brad Friedel, Tim Howard, Robert Green and Chris Kirkland. The 38-year-old set a new Premier League record of 1,311 minutes without conceding a goal and United's watertight backline was undoubtedly a key factor behind their success.

Right-back - Glen Johnson

The Portsmouth player was named in the PFA XI and has also proved popular with readers, beating off competition from our other seven suggestions - Alvaro Arbeloa, Jose Bosingwa, Vedran Corluka, Mario Melchiot, John Pantsil, Bacary Sagna and Gretar Steinsson. Johnson enjoyed a superb campaign in an ordinary Pompey side, combining his attacking flair with much more consistent defending and his performances also caught the eye of England boss Fabio Capello.

Centre-back - Matthew Upson

Every good team needs a reliable centre-back pairing and we gave you 14 options to cover the two places, which were filled by Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic in the PFA selection. You have opted for West Ham defender Upson in one spot after he helped Gianfranco Zola's men challenge for European qualification. The former Arsenal man turned in a series of fine displays and also established himself as an important member of the England squad.

Centre-back - Phil Jagielka

Jagielka's season finished in disappointing fashion as he suffered a serious knee injury and missed the FA Cup final defeat to Chelsea. Everton will feel they would have had a better chance of claiming glory had Jagielka been fit, as the 26-year-old was one of their most assured performers of the year and can take a lot of credit for the Toffees' excellent defensive record.

Left-back - Leighton Baines

Patrice Evra secured the left-back berth for the PFA and was also in contention for this award along with Fabio Aurelio, Ashley Cole, Gael Clichy, Maynor Figueroa, Herita Ilunga and Paul Konchesky. But it is Baines who has gained the recognition of the readers after a stunning second season at Goodison Park. The former Wigan ace was extremely solid at the back and got forward well, providing a threat with his pace and crossing ability.

Right midfielder - Mikel Arteta

Cristiano Ronaldo looked a shoo-in for this position but Arteta has come out top in the poll, seeing off the Manchester United winger and other rivals Simon Davies, Dirk Kuyt, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Antonio Valencia and Theo Walcott. The Spanish schemer suffered a season-ending injury in February but had already made an enormous impact, bringing a different dimension to the Everton side with his vision, creativity and set-piece prowess.

Central midfielder - Steven Gerrard

Giggs may have been overlooked in one of our most competitive categories but Gerrard, who also figured in the PFA team, has proved impossible to ignore. The midfielder was inspirational in Liverpool's ultimately unsuccessful push for the title and delivered the kind of numbers any striker would be proud of, notching 16 goals and numerous other assists, to strengthen his claims to be called the best central midfielder in the world.

Central midfielder - Xabi Alonso

Joining Gerrard in the heart of midfield is his Liverpool colleague Alonso, who was widely tipped to leave Anfield before the start of the season. Rafa Benitez has made it clear the Spaniard will not be leaving now after he had arguably his best campaign with the club. The stylish 27-year-old can play passes that most players can only dream about and also appears to have added more steel to his game.

Left midfielder - Steven Pienaar

The selection of Pienaar will perhaps raise the most eyebrows after the South African received more votes than PFA favourite Ashley Young and our other six candidates - Chris Brunt, Clint Dempsey, Park Ji-sung, Florent Malouda, Samir Nasri and Matthew Taylor. Pienaar has steadily improved throughout the season, adding more goals and assists to his game, while he remains a tenacious character and a formidable opponent.

Striker - Fernando Torres

We offered up ten possible choices for the two positions up front and Gabriel Agbonlahor, Carlton Cole, Peter Crouch, Kevin Davies, Ricardo Fuller, Robinho, Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie have fallen by the wayside. Torres takes our first place after continuing to bang in the goals in his second season at Anfield. The former Atletico Madrid star produced some breathtaking moments of magic and Liverpool fans must have been left wondering what could have been achieved if he had not had to deal with several niggling injuries.

Striker - Nicolas Anelka

Our strikers mirror those of the PFA as Anelka lines up alongside Torres in attack to give third-placed Chelsea their sole representative. The French striker finished as the leading scorer in the Premier League after demonstrating his deadly finishing skills on 19 occasions, while he was also willing to work hard for the team and sometimes operated away from his preferred central role.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:18 pm

Nice to see the recognition for our lads but any Best 11 that includes 3 4 Everton players is more than a little suspect in my book.  :O
Last edited by Bad Bob on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Greavesie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:42 pm

I'm no Man U fan but how have both of their CBs been omitted here? ???

Must be a scousers team of the year surely :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby mkingdom » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:50 pm

Greavesie wrote:I'm no Man U fan but how have both of their CBs been omitted here? ???

Cos they are massively over rated, as Vidic showed when Torres ripped him apart at OT, and then he didn't turn up for the CL final.

Rio is the most over hyped player in the Prem IMHO.

No wonder Carra quit England when he sees muppets like Rio constantly picked in front of him.
mkingdom

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:38 pm

Think thats a little f'cked up tbh, Arteta had a decent half season then got injured, Pienaar has had a good last two months but thats about it.

Upson has only been ok for me as well, certainly not in a team of the season.

Funny that there is only one united player though  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:08 pm

Ferdinand is probably the best centerback in the world today.....
How Ronaldo, Vidic and Lampard arent in this team is beyond me... and Upson ?!
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:17 pm

Nice to have 3 of our lads in there but that lineup is :censored:.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:26 am

mkingdom wrote:
Greavesie wrote:I'm no Man U fan but how have both of their CBs been omitted here? ???

Cos they are massively over rated, as Vidic showed when Torres ripped him apart at OT, and then he didn't turn up for the CL final.

Rio is the most over hyped player in the Prem IMHO.

No wonder Carra quit England when he sees muppets like Rio constantly picked in front of him.

Your the type of fan that embarrasses all Liverpool fans on the radio and TV with stupid comments like.

Anyone reading that would instantly think - "mug"

I question the selection of Van Der Sar more, Ferdinand and Vidic are the only reason he kept so many clean sheets.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:32 am

madness

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:32 pm

You keep calling me babu. It's Singh muthafu.ker! :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<