Best film

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby dawson99 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:25 pm

burjennio wrote:how can you not like Apocolypse Now? So Brando didnt want to be filmed in full light because he'd ate all the pies - I think it works because of the way the character has reached mythical proportions by the time we finally have the face off.. The only thing I hate about the movie is Dennis Hopper and his hippy reporter.

That's my fave bit lol. The film is just a mess, it looks a mess, there is no point to it.
For war films give me thin red line or platoon or most others any day... something which looks good, and has a point. So Martin Sheen had to kill a fat dude... big whoop.  :devil:
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:47 pm

dawson99 wrote:
burjennio wrote:how can you not like Apocolypse Now? So Brando didnt want to be filmed in full light because he'd ate all the pies - I think it works because of the way the character has reached mythical proportions by the time we finally have the face off.. The only thing I hate about the movie is Dennis Hopper and his hippy reporter.

That's my fave bit lol. The film is just a mess, it looks a mess, there is no point to it.
For war films give me thin red line or platoon or most others any day... something which looks good, and has a point. So Martin Sheen had to kill a fat dude... big whoop.  :devil:

It portrayed the madness of the war rather effectively if you ask me.
You do know its based on Conrad's Heart of Darkness dont you?
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:09 pm

I know I don't like it. I love the journey Sheen's character makes, but once he gets there I think the film loses its magic... it's just the way I see it.
I can see why some people like it, but how it gets so high on all the lists I will never understand.
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:10 pm

Shawshank
Stand By Me
Star Wars
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Ok, what makes a good movie?
If it was down to revenue then the star wars prequels and Mamma Mia would be right up there, and we can't have that. You could look at the classics, from Gone with the Wind and Citizen Kane up to Apocalypse Now and more recent classics like The Usual suspects.
what we need to do is break it down as well, best drama/action/comedy/romance/war etc etc
But then you have romantic comedies, war dramas, so how do you break it down?
Could you say that Ghost was better or worse than Platoon? All guys would say Platoon, and a fair few ladies would say Ghost, plus they are aimed at completely different different demographics...

For us lads we can watch romance, High Fidelity for one. But would we like Must Love Dogs or Dirty Dancing? Probably not?

So what can we say is a great film? A film that defines a time and an age? Then we'd have to include High School Musical!
A film that uses new technology? The Matrix would be there then, but do the poor sequels detract from the original?

I personally like films that push the boundaries: Donnie Darko, Blair Witch Project, Aliens, Ichi the Killer, Oldboy

I could never say they were the best though. And we could go with Empire magazine top 500 ever made, but it;s pretty pretentious...

so, there is no best film, just personal preferances, which is good as well, means i can still include weekend at Bernies and the Original King Kong in the same list
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:02 pm

dawson99 wrote:

2 top films. The thin red line is beautifully shot - I watched it in the cinema and the cinematography was superb. Platoon also a classic - the bit when Elias gets shot down was so emotional when I watched it as a youngster, great film.

Both of them get beaten by Full Metal Jacket for me.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Scottbot wrote:The Power of One is a cracking movie mate, I absolutely loved that film as a teenager. The book 'Power of One' by Bryce Courtney is even better and well worth a read mate + he wrote a followup called 'Tandia'.

The Power of One - that book takes me right back to my childhood - absolutely magic. It went round our whole neighbourhood. I didn't know there was a sequel - I think I'll order them both from Amazon as I can't remember it too well now. I dont think I've ever seen the film.

In terms of films that blue me away the first time I saw them - The Pianist (mentioned above), Shawshank, The Usual Suspects, Seven and Schindlers list were all memorable. Life is Beautiful would by favourite.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:34 pm

films that completely blew me away:

Children of the Corn - poor horror now, but saw it when I was 10, absolutely shat meself
The Usual Suspects - one of the best twists ever
Empire strikes back - THE best twist ever
Fight Club - How fricking cool?
Trainspotting - British films can actually be good
Jaws - we're gonna need a bigger boat
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:42 pm

Fight Club!!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:19 pm

'When a stranger Calls' (the 70's version) was my Children of the Corn. Scared the f.uck out of me when I was a kid. I had nightmares for months after I watched it. I've never watched it since.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:56 pm

nice shout on Donnie Darko Daws, lend it to someone about 3 years ago and never got it back, brilliant show and probably the saddest ending ever to the Gary Jules cover of "Mad World" I tell ya I was chokin the tears back (but then I realized I was a man and pulled myself together obviously) :D
burjennio

Postby Big Niall » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:05 pm

dawson99 wrote:Apocalypse now... what do people remember about it?
It's actualyl an ok film until Brando comes into it then it just turns into a mess in my humble opinion. Any film where the making of is more famous than the film itself is telling you something.
Of course what I said in previous post is just rubbish, films are subjective and it's almost impossible to say one film is better than another.

Godfather part 1 for me though just does it all. You see the growth of Michale Corleone and arlon Brando prooved why at the time he was a complete genius.

Could someone proove though that Godfather is better than Dumb and dumber? It's apples and lamb, two completely different entities.

bang on.

acopolyse now is good until that lazy ungrateful bas*ard brando (who didn't learn his lines) turned up and put in a sloppy performance that fiilm fans up their own :censored: who remember that brando was great in his days, will never criticise.

platoon is classic - amazing film.

I agree that comedy films are underrated, even within comedy the "straight man" is underrated, the minister in yes prime minister, dean martin with jerry lewis etc. the farelly brothers are great.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:43 pm

I have quite a few favourate films but my fav at the moment would have to be (in no particular order) American History X, La Haine, Trainspotting.

I could have gone for the usual godfather ect...but those are so cliche.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:19 am

'Day of the Dead' (1985)

My absolute all time favorite horror film. Nothing comes close. Everything is played straight, there isn't an ounce of that stupid attempt at "comedy" that producers seem to think goes well with horror stories. Directed by Geroge Romero, it's the third in his "living dead" quartet and it pulls no punches. It's well scripted, well acted and grim...really, really grim.

The way a good horror film should be.   :D
tonyeh

Postby ox5 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:44 am

hows about a good clean film.....Dam Busters! :D
LFC 4EVA
*pm me if you have any spare home tickets for me and daugter!!*
ox5

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum