The technique of penalty shootouts. - For goalkeepers.

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:47 pm

Just thought of this while I was watching the Arsenal shoot out. How about this, a bit off the wall but run with it and I think it'd be interesting.

As the bloke begins his run up, the goalkeeper spins and turns his back on him for half a second as if he's trying to save a penalty coming from behind the goal. Just as the bloke is approaching the ball (he could watch on the big screen or just spin after half a second or so) he spins and relies on reflexes to save it.

I think it would definately disturb a kicker who would be more than a bit aware of what the keeper is doing. It's be a bit like Dudeks antics, or Grobellars. Betcha someone tries it one day.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:28 am

have to do it as a home keeper or else the stadium guy will put the video on a delay :D
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:37 am

In 5 years I've thought to myself  reading things you write "hmmm, interesting, I hadn't realised, good point". Multiple times, every week, twice or thrice.

Well, this one won't be one of them . :D

In my country you would see each fan with a mirror or a laser pointer to try and blind the keeper with it, probably when he turned he'd be watching stars more than anything.

Plus, reallistically, and unless you get the odd ref that gets too techy about the penalty, keepers DO make a step forward and keepers do start the stretching before the ball is actually contacted, that fractions of seconds are fundamental, and a good keeper will read a body gesture in the run better live than in any screen.

No, I'm a bit traditionalist in this. Go to the penalty spot, touch the ball just a bit, it will be enough that the striker feels the need to reposition it. Talk to him, then the ref will come, say a last word to the shooter, show your back to the striker, put under the sticks, wave your hands in big circles to intimidate the player, stretch up, make yourself big, look at him, smile him, point him a direction.

You can't do that looking to the other side. The striker just must focus in a decent well taken side shot and it will go in, because IMHO you're removing precious fractions of second of reaction.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:48 am

Sabre wrote:In 5 years I've thought to myself  reading things you write "hmmm, interesting, I hadn't realised, good point". Multiple times, every week, twice or thrice.

Well, this one won't be one of them . :D

In my country you would see each fan with a mirror or a laser pointer to try and blind the keeper with it, probably when he turned he'd be watching stars more than anything.

Plus, reallistically, and unless you get the odd ref that gets too techy about the penalty, keepers DO make a step forward and keepers do start the stretching before the ball is actually contacted, that fractions of seconds are fundamental, and a good keeper will read a body gesture in the run better live than in any screen.

No, I'm a bit traditionalist in this. Go to the penalty spot, touch the ball just a bit, it will be enough that the striker feels the need to reposition it. Talk to him, then the ref will come, say a last word to the shooter, show your back to the striker, put under the sticks, wave your hands in big circles to intimidate the player, stretch up, make yourself big, look at him, smile him, point him a direction.

You can't do that looking to the other side. The striker just must focus in a decent well taken side shot and it will go in, because IMHO you're removing precious fractions of second of reaction.

maybe the person taking the penalty should approach backwards  :D
JoeTerp

Postby SupitsJonF » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:50 am

Gotta say its a pretty terrible idea :D.

Interesting, but I don't think it would work. 

What would work is for refs to stop all this run up, stop, change directions bull :censored: shooters are doing.  Its a :censored: penalty, one of the easiest ways to score, dont but a bitch put it in the net like everyone else.  (Ronaldo and Nasri, gays).
SupitsJonF

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:32 am

Interesting idea Mick, but not one I would be wanting Pepe to try against the mancs to be honest. I usually guess correctly about 75% of the time which side at pen shootouts on the tv. If the player runs from the left side of the ball he will hit it to the Goalkeepers right and visa versa. (just try it, it usually works)
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:51 am

maybe the person taking the penalty should approach backwards 

Or spinning with a heel shot!! Look in youtube for "Penalty Totti tacon".

What Bigmick suggests has been tried in a training sessions lots of times for sure! but there are things that are meant to be done in training sessions.

Anyhow, I know a coach who says "A stopped penalty is a bad taken penalty", meaning, that if a penalty is well taken little can be done by any superb keeper. And I agree.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:46 am

What about this one?

An Idea Batty Might Like...

With at least one of the Champions League ties this week likely to be settled with a penalty shoot-out and the stalemate '09 Carling Cup final still fresh in the mind, I am reminded of a rule initiative that was mooted some time last year during Euro2008. As I may well have read about it on these pages, I should point out I'm not trying to pass this idea off as my own (that's only the case after a few pints...) but reiterating in the hope that someone somewhere may one day find themselves sitting next to Sepp Blatter or Michel Platini and, whilst resisting the urge to slap them, puts this into the conversation.

At full-time, penalties should be played before extra-time with the winning team allocated a 'half goal' (FIFA - feel free to contract an expensive marketing company to invent a cheesy moniker here). Both teams then go on to play the further 30 minutes in the knowledge that if the score remains level at the end, then team that won the shoot-out will win courtesy of their 'half goal'.

I imagine this would encourage an extra-time period of intense attack/counter-attack football, as opposed to the cagey dour affairs that occur in the majority of occasions. Whilst the drama of the shoot-out is lessened to some extent, surely this is more than appeased by the thought of say, David Batty and co, having 30 minutes to redeem himself in the eyes of a nation. Again, I'm not saying that the art of penalty-taking should be discounted, but surely all football fans would prefer to see a result based more on team performance and attacking football than 10+ set pieces (the outcome of each of which is unrelated to the players' individual contribution during the game and, discounting the ~30% of unsavable penalties taken, possibly just down to the 50/50 choice of a goalkeeper).

My main criteria for judging potential rule changes is whether they are workable at all levels of football; the game's great strength over all the others in the world is its simplicity. Jumpers For Goalposts 'n all that.

This initiative can be as simply and easily introduced to park football as World Cup finals and will have an infinitely greater effect in increasing the attractiveness and fluidity of the game than other oft-suggested and impractical schemes like video technology or multiple refs.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:08 am

I really like that idea DD. You could say the winner of the penalty shoot-out has the "casting" goal, and in the event of a draw they prevail. Still think the goalie dould turn his back to the kicker though, I can't help thinking one or two are dismissing it without really considering it properly  :D :p
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:10 am

By the way that isnt my idea its something I seen and pasted it, just in case you all think I started to work for Uefa
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:11 am

I call dissenters and people who can't see the validity of my theory "Gerd Muller" thinkers. They are incapable of contempleting anything which is outside the box :D
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:12 am

Dundalk wrote:By the way that isnt my idea its something I seen and pasted it, just in case you all think I started to work for Uefa

As opposed to mine which you've probably guessed is entirely my own work  :laugh:
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:53 am

bigmick wrote:Just thought of this while I was watching the Arsenal shoot out. How about this, a bit off the wall but run with it and I think it'd be interesting.

As the bloke begins his run up, the goalkeeper spins and turns his back on him for half a second as if he's trying to save a penalty coming from behind the goal. Just as the bloke is approaching the ball (he could watch on the big screen or just spin after half a second or so) he spins and relies on reflexes to save it.

I think it would definately disturb a kicker who would be more than a bit aware of what the keeper is doing. It's be a bit like Dudeks antics, or Grobellars. Betcha someone tries it one day.

Cannot believe you're advocating that the keeper rotate!   :O  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:43 pm

Sabre wrote:
maybe the person taking the penalty should approach backwards 

Or spinning with a heel shot!! Look in youtube for "Penalty Totti tacon".

What Bigmick suggests has been tried in a training sessions lots of times for sure! but there are things that are meant to be done in training sessions.

Anyhow, I know a coach who says "A stopped penalty is a bad taken penalty", meaning, that if a penalty is well taken little can be done by any superb keeper. And I agree.

"penalties aren't saved, they are missed"
JoeTerp

Postby Madmax » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:57 pm

bigmick wrote:Just thought of this while I was watching the Arsenal shoot out. How about this, a bit off the wall but run with it and I think it'd be interesting.

That would be cool for a comedy annimation  :wwww   :wwww
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion