agree, very balanced post
33%
disagree
33%
not entirely, few missing points
33%

Total votes : 3

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:22 pm

below is a post by BigMick, which i 100% agree with. i find its a fair assessment of Kuyt. for those who disagree, or dont agree entirely, please state why.

''On this thread in particular, and on one or two others as well, it's become impossible to debate football sensibly. There are a couple of characters kicking about who stifle any sensible discussion with their inane proclamations, half truths and idiocy. There is a complete refusal to even attempt to engage the brain, to think about the other persons point of view before posting, and a style which is the equivalent of sticking their fingers in their ears and singing Ba-ba black sheep louder and louder until they've drowned out any dissent.

If it's not spamming the forum, it's pretty close to it and makes the process pointless. I'm also bound to say Supersub that calling a bloke a "Nobhead" for what was a fairly sensible post (albeit one which was critical of Kuyt) was surely not the way to go. People begin to get worked up, exasperated and the like but there's hardly any wonder. It's akin to trying to have an adult conversation and some silly twelve year old keep sticking his two penneth in (obviously not talking about Supersub in that bit).

I have a message to those who rate Kuyt.

1. Nearly everybody accepts that if the captain isn't going to play there, Kuyt is just about our best option for right midfield.

2. Everybody accepts that he works hard.

3. Everybody accepts that he's a nice bloke. Also, everybody accepts that his Dad died last year.

4. Over the last few weeks, everybody would accept that he has scored some important goals. Three to be precise. One of them resulted in us not having to endure a penalty shoot-out against Standard Liege, the other one resulted in us getting three points rather than one against Man City. Nobody who has seen a video re-run of the two matches, or was "at the game", or who has read a newspaper would dispute that.

So there you go. I think everyone accepts that, so there seems little point in keep answering the various points which crop up with the same answers. "But he scores important goals" or "but he works hard" gets a bit tedious, as does comparing him with Djimitar Berbatov.

The idea is, somebody thinks of a point, and you counter it with a point which is relevent to theirs. That's how sensible discussion works. For instance, if somebody says that I think Aaron Lennon would be a better bet at right midfield, don't counter it with either a) we couldn't afford him, or b) they would never sell him to us, or c) it's pointless talking about Aaron Lennon because he doesn't play for us.

Why not? well:

1) and 2) are simply ridiculous comments. They've just sold Berbatov and keane, and previously sold Michael Carrick. Given they've just bought David Bentley and that Lennon hasn't even been a regular starter, of course they would listen to offers. Teams do. As far as the money goes, ditto. We aren't talking about Lionel Messi here, we're talking about Aaron Lennon. His transfer fee would be between 6-14 million I should think, therefore we could afford it. On number 3) well I think most people know he doesn't play for us. I think it is legitimate however, that if you don't rate a player, say so and get asked by people 'well who's better then?" to actually offer an alternative. To ask the question "who's better then, pray tell" and then dismiss an answer because "they don't play for us" is patently ridiculous.

So, if somebody suggests Aaron Lennon as a potential alternative at right midfield and you don't agree, you have two choices it seems to me if the forum makes any sense. Either let it go and don't bother answering, or offer sensible reasons as to why you don't like the idea. I'll start. Although he offers plenty going forward, I think given the fact we have Riera on the left it would leave us unbalanced with not enough stickability going backwards. There, thats my view on Lennon.

We're in danger around here just now of rendering the forum a complete waste of everybodies time.''
maypaxvobiscum

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:36 pm

I think its a very good balanced post. Having said that, Mick could ......and probably has convinced me blacks white when he puts his mind to it.   :D

I voted balanced post anyway :p
account deleted by request

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:42 pm

:p  im just afraid some of posters here voting base on bias rather then credibilty.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:51 pm

There's zero need for another thread on Kuyt at the moment and a thread-starter like this one, which includes a long, critical preamble about a particular poster, is not going to get discussion moving in the right direction.  As such, I'm locking this.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Return to Football Related Polls