Shoot magazine - Bows out

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Dundalk » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:39 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jun/17/ipc.pressandpublishing

PC Media has axed Shoot, the 40-year-old children's football magazine, four months after relaunching it as a weekly.

The publisher turned Shoot from a monthly into a weekly to compete with BBC Magazines' Match of the Day, which launched in March.

Shoot, which retails at £1.80, will close at the end of the month, ending its near-40-year history as a football publication. The title launched in 1969.

"It is with great regret that we have had to make this decision," said Paul Williams, the managing director of IPC Inspire.

"We are of course in consultation with the six permanent staff directly affected by the proposal, and every effort will be made to find alternative jobs if this becomes necessary."

IPC subsidiary IPC Inspire is in exclusive negotiations to sell the Shoot trademark to Pedigree Books, which publishes the Shoot Christmas annual and a range of Shoot seasonal activity books and annuals.

ABC circulation figures from the last six months of 2007 showed that the magazine sold 35,830 copies each month, a year-on-year rise of 7%.

Apart from Match of the Day, Shoot was competing against market leader Match and new challenger Kick!.

Match, owned by Bauer Consumer Media, formerly Emap, dominates the children's football magazine market, with a circulation of 113,049 in the second half of 2007, according to the most recent ABC figures, a year-on-year fall of 13%.

Match came under pressure from Kick!, published by the Attic Media Network and selling at £2.20, which grew its sale by 24% year on year to 62,290 in the same period.

Shoot, meanwhile, sold an average of 35,830 copies as a £3.10 monthly in the second half of 2007, up 7% year on year, before its recent switch to a weekly publication and £1.80 cover price

What a pity I dont think I ever missed a copy when I was a kid but now with so much more technology there seems to be no need for it anymore.

RIP Shoot Magazine  :(
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:11 pm

Yeah i liked it when i was young as well!

Kids dont read things like that anymore,they are more interested in getting pi'shed,taking drugs,stealing stuff and stabbing eachother for recreation! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:47 pm

That articles a bit wrong I think cos I remember it being out weekly when I was a kid.

I'll never forget the April fools joke the bast@rds pulled one year.
They had Ian Rush on the front in an Everscum shirt, I was heart broken till I opened the mag up and read it was an april fool.

The Feckers!!!! :angry:

:D
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:51 pm

shame, i use to buy shoot as a kid along with the Transformers comic.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:51 pm

Dundalk wrote:Image

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jun/17/ipc.pressandpublishing

PC Media has axed Shoot, the 40-year-old children's football magazine, four months after relaunching it as a weekly.

The publisher turned Shoot from a monthly into a weekly to compete with BBC Magazines' Match of the Day, which launched in March.

Shoot, which retails at £1.80, will close at the end of the month, ending its near-40-year history as a football publication. The title launched in 1969.

"It is with great regret that we have had to make this decision," said Paul Williams, the managing director of IPC Inspire.

"We are of course in consultation with the six permanent staff directly affected by the proposal, and every effort will be made to find alternative jobs if this becomes necessary."

IPC subsidiary IPC Inspire is in exclusive negotiations to sell the Shoot trademark to Pedigree Books, which publishes the Shoot Christmas annual and a range of Shoot seasonal activity books and annuals.

ABC circulation figures from the last six months of 2007 showed that the magazine sold 35,830 copies each month, a year-on-year rise of 7%.

Apart from Match of the Day, Shoot was competing against market leader Match and new challenger Kick!.

Match, owned by Bauer Consumer Media, formerly Emap, dominates the children's football magazine market, with a circulation of 113,049 in the second half of 2007, according to the most recent ABC figures, a year-on-year fall of 13%.

Match came under pressure from Kick!, published by the Attic Media Network and selling at £2.20, which grew its sale by 24% year on year to 62,290 in the same period.

Shoot, meanwhile, sold an average of 35,830 copies as a £3.10 monthly in the second half of 2007, up 7% year on year, before its recent switch to a weekly publication and £1.80 cover price

What a pity I dont think I ever missed a copy when I was a kid but now with so much more technology there seems to be no need for it anymore.

RIP Shoot Magazine  :(

A sad day indeed ,but even sadder, indicative of our times.
Shoot was a large part of my childhood ,I remember racing home from school knowing the Shoot was waiting for me ,and id lose myself in the pages totally engrossed, only raising my head for a Wagon wheel and a glass of milk, or in the days pre video the Water Margins signature tune . :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:54 pm

Magazines and newspapers are unnecessary these days.

The Interwebby has it all.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:44 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:Magazines and newspapers are unnecessary these days.

true, but i'm sick of having to get my laptop fixed every time i swat a fly with it.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Keris » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:57 am

What a pity.
I used to read SHOOT all the time when I was a kid. I enhanced my english and football knowledge through reading the mag.
Even while waiting for the next edition, I will read the previous one, again and again and again...
Everything has an ending I guess. :down:

But that's okay, after we sign david villa, all will be fine again  :eyebrow  :buttrock
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:46 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:Magazines and newspapers are unnecessary these days.

You cant put the internet in your troursers just before gettin six of the best from the headmaster for that tomfoolery and japes you got up to
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:57 am

Shame here in Oz before internet and Cable TV it was a bastion of information for football starved youngster like me. TBH though I would have thought the internet would have killed it off years ago
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum