Reds look pretty on the attack again - Liverpool are refreshed prior to cl

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:09 am

LIVERPOOL - A new wave of optimism has accompanied the arrival of Spanish coach Rafael Benitez at Liverpool, as they take on Austrian side AK Graz in the first leg of the Champions League's third qualifying round tonight.

The Reds had gone stale under former boss Gerard Houllier, who was sacked in May after the 18-time English champions finished 30 points behind champions Arsenal.

But Benitez, hired from Spanish champions and Uefa Cup winners Valencia, has shown in friendlies that he intends to return to the days when Liverpool won matches in style.

This will suit fans who grew up watching the Reds terrorise opponents at home and in Europe with the likes of Kevin Keegan, Ian Rush and Kenny Dalglish in the 1970s and 1980s.

Said Benitez: 'I have my own ideas and my ideas are similar to what the supporters want. Everyone wants us to play fast, to be aggressive. The people want this style of play and the players do too.

'We want the philosophy of keeping the ball more and pushing teams back, but this also depends on the opposition.'

Finishing fourth last season did earn the club a tilt at the Champions League but it was Houllier's dour, cautious tactics as much as results that cost him his job.

A common theme under Benitez has been the Liverpool players talking about how they are once again enjoying their football now the shackles have been removed.

Summer signing Josemi, who is expected to start at right-back tonight, has a close knowledge of what the players can expect this term after signing from Spanish side Malaga for £2 million (S$6.3 million) last month.

He said: 'The manager is very well known for his tactical knowledge, planning and reactions. He is known in Spain for working very, very hard on things like that. I do believe we can make a serious challenge for the title.'

It is looking good for Liverpool, whose best Champions League performance under Houllier was their quarter-final exit at the hands of Bayer Leverkusen in 2002.

Still, they should realistically be looking to flex their muscles at AK Graz's Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadium.

Benitez seems to be taking a tranquil approach to his first foray into Europe with his new club.

'I am only thinking about my team, how good the other team is is not very important,' said Benitez, perhaps mindful of AK Graz's exit at this stage last year, when Tomas Galasek's 'silver goal' for Ajax Amsterdam in the second leg prevented their entry to the lucrative group stages. -- AFP
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion