Murphys new muscles

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:23 am

NEWS STORY
MURPHY HAPPY TO GO THROUGH PAIN BARRIER
Mark Platt 16 July 2004 
  Danny Murphy admits he's feeling the strain of the new Rafael Benitez training regime at Liverpool but insists he wouldn't want it any other way. 
Murphy, together with the rest of the players not involved in Euro 2004, has been subjected to a gruelling series of exercises this week, as the new boss assesses the fitness of the squad he's inherited.

The midfielder reveals it's a lot tougher than what he's been used to in the past but he's enjoying the hard work and believes it will be well worth it in the long run.

"The training is always hard when you first report back for pre-season. The difference this year is that we didn't know what to expect. Everything is new and we're starting to feel muscles that we haven't probably used before. In that respect it has been tough but it's also been interesting and it should stand us in good stead once the season starts," Murphy told Liverpoolfc.tv

"Each stage of the training is done on an individual basis. We've had to undergo tests to see what stage we're up to and then we've all been given our own training program rather than a general one.

"I suppose it's always different under a new manager. The running exercises are different, the circuit training is different and we're also doing different tactical work with the ball. But I think it's great because it gives everyone a new impetus. We've all got a spring in our step since reporting back and we're all looking forward to the new season.

"Even if we'd have kept the same manager I think it's important to change the training methods in order to freshen things up. All this new stuff is good for our education as players. You have to be able to adapt to different styles and techniques, that's what makes you a better player. We're certainly going to learn stuff off the new gaffer, so it's an exciting time."

Murphy fully welcomed the appointment of Rafael Benitez as Gerard Houllier's successor and adds that he's been very impressed with how the new boss has come across in his first week at Melwood.

"The gaffer has been fine. We haven't spoke at length on a one-to-one basis just yet but I've had a quickchat with him and found him to be very pleasant. He's been really friendly, speaks good English and has been very open about things. He had a quick chat with us as a group about what we want to achieve, which is pretty obvious, and we all know where we stand.

"The new staff he's brought in have also been very welcoming towards us all and they've taken to Melwood and the players like a duck to water. They're settling in really well."

Since being unveiled as Liverpool's 11th post-war manager there's been constant speculation about what new players Benitez will bring in and which players will be shipped out. For the players currently at the club it's like starting from scratch and Murphy is understandably keen to impress all over again.

"Every player here wants to be a part of this club's future under Rafael Benitez and I'm no different. We all want to play. What the new boss is going to do in terms of brining players in, I don't know.

"I can't predict the future but every pre-season that I've been here has seen a number of players coming and going. All that I can do is concentrate on myself and don't worry about it too much. Hopefully I'll get a chance in the side and show the boss what I can do. That's all you can do. It's a cliché, I know, but it's true.

"So long as I get my fitness right, stay away from injury and get a bit of form behind me, there's nothing more I can do. It is a bit different with a new manager because you're never sure whether or not he's going to like you. Only time will tell on that score, but for the moment I'm just concentrating on my fitness.

"I hope my style of play fits in with the manager's plans for the team. From watching Valencia it's clear that he's a manager who seems to like players who are good on the ball and work hard, and I'd like to think that I come into both categories.

"Competition for places is going to be as tough as it's ever been and that's healthy to a point. It makes everyone push themselves thatlittle bit further and you need that at a club.

"Another thing now is, everyone wants to play every game but if we're realistic you're not going to play every game. In a successful season a team can play between 55 and 60 games. To cope with that I think we need a squad of about 18 or 20 players, who can all perform at the top level. My aim is to put myself in the picture and try to play more games rather than less."

Nice one raffa run em knackerd murphy the mrs will have to take a backseat now :p
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion