Gossips from hispania - Old bóllocks

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:27 am

This is the main frontpage of Marca. You can see Bernd Schuster (A great eighties midfielder a la Alonso, current Getafe coach), Rafa Benitez, and Mourinho.

According to them Schuster is still the main candidate, but Benitez threatens his position.

Problem is, they don't realise that Rafa doesn't like this kind of circus-comedy. How can you think seriously that a club wants you if you're one among many. Marca and Real Madrid are pathétic.

The second gossip from Spain concerns Alves, who has a lot of girlfriends for his future, Real Madrid is insisting, Sevilla is saying that he cannot be transfered -- which in Spain means we want a lot of money, thing is, it would be difficult for us to figt for him without entering Real Madrid's money madness.

Don't be surprised if tomorrow the mirror or one of your tabloids come up with cráp based on this poor articles, I've seen more than a dozen of times.

I'll bring this gossip and rumour stuff that's coming from Spain to this thread. 98% of it is utter bóllocks, but at least you won't be surprised when you read the same cráp in your tabloids.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:31 am

this is what is written in the UK mate

Real Madrid have reportedly decided to lure Rafa Benitez, rather than Jose Mourinho, to the Bernabeu to be the club's latest manager.

The Times claims that Madrid have 'identified' the Liverpool manager as 'the leading candidate' to replace the doomed Fabio Capello, and intend to 'tempt him back to his native Madrid by offering greater control than any other coach has had at the Bernabéu.'

The Spaniard is described as being 'unsettled' at Anfield as he awaits assurances from the Liverpool Reds' new owners that their ambitions match his own.

'Benítez rejected an approach from Real 12 months ago, partly because his misgivings about the regime that was taking shape in Madrid, but a series of changes behind the scenes have laid the groundwork for a renewed bid to sign the Liverpool manager.

'In recognition of the need to allow their next coach more power than they have given the beleaguered Fabio Capello, Real have made moves to marginalise Predrag Mijatovic, the sporting director, and to promote a friend of Benítez, Juan Ángel Sánchez, in a role as general manager that has been designed to avoid any conflicts of interest with the next coach,' reports the newsapaper.

'Real plan to sound out Benítez via his agent, Manuel García Quillon, in the next fortnight, having detected that his position at Anfield is becoming unstable.'

Benitez himself added credence to Real's belief that he can be persuaded to depart Liverpool in the summer by speaking favourably of the Spanish giants on Sky Sports this week.

"From a distance, you know that they are changing things," he told the Revista de La Liga programme. "They have enough quality and players with experience. It's difficult when you are in another country to talk about their squad, but they have very good players."
112-1077774096

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:37 am

The Spaniard is described as being 'unsettled' at Anfield as he awaits assurances from the Liverpool Reds' new owners that their ambitions match his own

Seems :censored: as well, none of the Rafa quotes last days or last months make me think he's unsettled.

BTW, Those are the Marca reader's wishes on a poll of 10231 votes.

Votes:

Schuster :41.64 %

Mou: 23.54 %

Rafa: 34.83 %
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:27 pm

Its always gonna be written!

Big clubs crave European domination.......it makes tabloid sense to link Benitez with any 'big club' where a manager is on his way out.After he won the C/L in 2005 it was always gonna be the way!

As he is Spanish also it is always gonna be rumoured that he will return home some day!
It will im sure happen at some stage,not for a while yet i dont think.

We are just going to have to get used to this gossip as it will be there as long as Benitez is at LFC!
66-1120597113

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:30 pm

peewee wrote:The Times claims that Madrid have 'identified' the Liverpool manager as 'the leading candidate' to replace the doomed Fabio Capello, and intend to 'tempt him back to his native Madrid by offering greater control than any other coach has had at the Bernabéu.'

There's the flaw in the plan right there.

Why would they break the habit of decades for Benitez?

I looked it up - they've had 22 managers in the past 20 years including several repeat managers - Toshack, Del Bosque, Capello, Beenhakker, Camacho - and I'm sure they told every one of them, particularly guys like Capello (who by the way has a much more impressive CV than Benitez) that they could do what they like with the club.

Even successful Real Madrid managers get fired.

If Benitez goes there it'll because he wants to and not because he believes things will be different. If he believes that he's a fool.

I suppose the point I'm making is that their business/football model doesn't tie in with what they're saying. It only makes sense to allow a manager have full control over the club if you are willing to give him a decent time frame to work in. From a footballing and a business perspective if you have a quick succession of coaches it makes sense to use the Spanish model, having a long time GM buying players because if you allow each successive manager to have full autonomy in such a short space of time they will end up with players that the next manager doesn't want and will have to offload faster than they already are. Which would be ridiculous. Even though they spend bundles they still have their limits.

Whereas, using their current model, each person who agrees to take the post knows that their control over matters will be limited but they, whoever they are, choose to take the position anyway. I doubt Madrid would guarantee Rafa that sort of autonomy and even if they did I doubt they would carry through with their word. Primarily, because of the way the club is run.

Presidents in Spain where they are elected via vote have a tendency to follow the whims of the fan. They do this because of the fact that if they don't they will probably lose their position of prestige and power. This is how democracy works. However, I doubt the fans at Madrid would tolerate some of Rafa's tactical measures.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Pedro Maradona » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:06 pm

i wouldnt be worried by all this, its all tabloid nonsense
Pedro Maradona

Return to The Rumour Mill