Celtic - rangers rivalry - A provocation i don't get

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby drummerphil » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:09 am

I am half irish,my grandfather was an orangeman and i married a catholic girl ok divorced 10 years ago.I find religion a complete nightmare full stop and feck all to do with football.If anyone wants to walk on a football pitch and cross themselves 50 times........where is the problem as long as my team win who gives a feck.Religion has so much shíte to answer for right now and it really makes syou think whats coming over these next few years.Our beloved football should be a release from all that bóllocks.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:09 am

I'm not trying to be funny but I always assumed that protestants blessed themselves in the same way catholics do. Is the sign of the cross not part of protestantism?

The gazza thing was different, lets not make out that gazza enjoys playing the flute, he is a fool and that was 100% sectaranian :angry:

I didn't see the incident so maybe the pictures would show what happened as if protestants don't bless themselves and he did it in a taunting way towards them, then it was out of order.

Glasgow is supposed to be very bigoted and a lot of scumbags follow both clubs.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:11 am

Belfast Barry

A mate of mine said that a lot of protestants in Derry follow Derry City, is this correct?

I had always thought it was another example of religion and football mixing, which I don't like and that it was a "catholic club"

Hopefully my mate is right but I'd like to hear a northerners view.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:35 am

Big Niall wrote:I'm not trying to be funny but I always assumed that protestants blessed themselves in the same way catholics do. Is the sign of the cross not part of protestantism?

The gazza thing was different, lets not make out that gazza enjoys playing the flute, he is a fool and that was 100% sectaranian :angry:

I didn't see the incident so maybe the pictures would show what happened as if protestants don't bless themselves and he did it in a taunting way towards them, then it was out of order.

Protestants dont cross/bless themselves, at least not as far as I know(I never did). Why it should be offensive I have no idea, but religion is a touchy subject at the best of times and should have no place in football. I remember there was uproar in Scotland when Rangers signed Mo Johnson.
account deleted by request

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:30 am

I hate the way that everyone automatically presumes every Celtic fan is a Catholic and every Rangers fan is a Protestant. I had a go at my history teacher (when I was in School) for teaching us that every Catholic was a Nationalist and every Loyalist was a Protestant, it's a complete myth; you get Catholics who are loyalists and you get Protestants who are Nationalists. It's a blatant stereotype.

The Old Firm consists of old Politics just as much Religion and Football.
48-1119859832

Postby Des » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:10 pm

Big Niall wrote:I'm not trying to be funny but I always assumed that protestants blessed themselves in the same way catholics do. Is the sign of the cross not part of protestantism?

No protestants definately do not cross themselves brother, the mere sight of that in parts of Glasgow and Belfast could lead to you losing your most precious faculties. They look at it as an act of enticement- as does whistling a sectarian tune etc. Its sad brother. You wouldnt even stop and ask directions to a protestant church in a catholic area or a catholic church in a protestant area -not if you value your looks . :D  I would avoid driving through them too. Its not so bad now with the peace process.
I remember the incident with Gascoigne too brother, but to be fair to him-Id say he was set up, or he did it as a dare.There was so much made of it because of who it was, when really it was happening more often than told.
But as someone else said-players cross themselves all the time, what happens if they play an Italian side and the whole team cross themselves-doesnt make sense-maybe only celtic arent permitted to do that.
IGNORANCE IS BLISS
Des

Postby JC_81 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:58 pm

No one has mentioned yet that Rangers have had several Italian (Catholic) players down the years - Negri, Gattuso and Amoruso spring to mind - who all crossed themselves before a match or when they were about to be brought on as a sub.  I've seen it happen even in Old Firm matches in the past.  So for Rangers fans to be incensed that a Celtic player crosses himself during a game is daft.

The bigotry between Celtic and Rangers fans is pathetic.  It's bad in Glasgow but worse in Northern Ireland, coming from Belfast I have seen it plenty of times.

In Belfast a lot of people wear a Rangers or Celtic shirt not because they're football fans, but because it is a religious statement, and they don't even properly follow football - and I'm sad to say I even have relatives who are like that.  But there are a lot of genuine fans too.  I have some mates who are Protestant Rangers fans and I have mates who are Catholics and season ticket holders at Celtic, but they're proper football fans and not biggots, so we all mix together no problem.  As always it's the minority of @rseholes who ruin it for other people.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby luvliverpool » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:16 pm

Just thought I would update this story with the reason Boruc got cautioned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/5292656.stm
Anfield The Home And Heart Of Football
luvliverpool

Postby shanks72 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:05 am

I've read the link above.

But would still like to say I don't see why players crossing themselves should be offensive to anyone, esp' to other christians as Greenred has said.

Religions can and do cause problems, but some are man-made, not God-made.
Image Image

REST IN PEACE DRUMMERPHIL, YNWA

underneath are the everlasting arms
deuteronomy 33:27
shanks72
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby luvliverpool » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:24 am

Basically he can cross himself yes..........but he held the cross to the crowd of Rangers fans and then also smiled and stared into the crowd at the back of goal and crossed himself.......I mean if he did not mean to incite them then why not just cross himself staring away from the Rangers fans.

It is a bit like when Neville kissed the badge infront of our fans...........he done it not cos he wanted to kiss the scum badge but cos he wanted to pi55 the Liverpool fans off...........thats the point I am trying to make
luvliverpool

Postby shanks72 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:45 am

luvliverpool wrote:Basically he can cross himself yes..........but he held the cross to the crowd of Rangers fans and then also smiled and stared into the crowd at the back of goal and crossed himself.......I mean if he did not mean to incite them then why not just cross himself staring away from the Rangers fans.

It is a bit like when Neville kissed the badge infront of our fans...........he done it not cos he wanted to kiss the scum badge but cos he wanted to pi55 the Liverpool fans off...........thats the point I am trying to make

I understand the point you are trying to make...lol
please don't misunderstand me.
Image Image

REST IN PEACE DRUMMERPHIL, YNWA

underneath are the everlasting arms
deuteronomy 33:27
shanks72
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:40 am

Oasis wrote:Celtic and Ranger's rivalry consists of much more than football, there is a lot of dislike between the two clubs based on religious beliefs and differences. There is centuries of history behind all of this though, so I won't go into it.

And in a nutshell, they're all as thick as pig-sh*t.

Anyone who brings religion into football needs shooting, with absolutely no exceptions.

The past is the past. If the English were to start a bitch-fest against our oppressors, we'd have something to whine about to virtually every country in the World.

Yes there's a history between Celtic and Rangers, but that's a p*ss-poor excuse for them to be sh*tty to one another.

Grow up, you f*cking lunatics.  :no
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby luvliverpool » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:45 am

shanks72 wrote:
luvliverpool wrote:Basically he can cross himself yes..........but he held the cross to the crowd of Rangers fans and then also smiled and stared into the crowd at the back of goal and crossed himself.......I mean if he did not mean to incite them then why not just cross himself staring away from the Rangers fans.

I understand the point you are trying to make...lol
please don't misunderstand me.

Honestly I am not misunderstanding you.......was just trying to let peopleunderstand why Boruc got disciplined - not for the action itself.

I agree that Religion should have nothing to do with Football.
luvliverpool

Postby Big Niall » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:35 am

How about having football AS a religion? at least we KNOW football exists and nobody finds its crosses offensive - well maybe David James :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Des » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:01 pm

Big Niall wrote:How about having football AS a religion? at least we KNOW football exists and nobody finds its crosses offensive - well maybe David James :D

:D Brilliant wit to end the thread brother.
IGNORANCE IS BLISS
Des

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion