Hairgrease wants out - Do we want him?

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:00 am

Hargreaves invites Premiership offers
20060815 10:42
Owen Hargreaves has hinted he could leave Bayern Munich before the transfer window closes and wants a Premiership club to sign him
The 25-year-old still has another four years left on his Bayern contract, but is not ruling out leaving the club before the summer transfer window closes and has been long linked with a move to the Premiership, with the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool and Middlesbrough expressing an interest.

Hargreaves said: "I'm 25 and I've got a contract at Bayern for the next four years, but in football anything is possible. You have seen that in the past and the transfer deadline is obviously not until August 31.
"I can't say what will happen between now and then. I said in the past it would be a great opportunity to play here but so far it hasn't worked out. There's not much more to say on the topic except I would love to receive the opportunity."
Hargreaves added that he believes a move to one of the Premiership's top clubs will boost his chances of a more regular spot in England's national team.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:27 am

Centre mid is probably the last position I think we would be looking to strengthen at the moment!

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jkop » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:11 pm

I think we have enough talent that will be fighting for a place in midfield this season.
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:34 pm

Hes a decent player and i feel he took a lot of unfair stick over his career!
He was often judged as the black sheep of the England international team because he was pretty much unknown in England and had never played in the prem!

He sure shut the critics up at this years world cup,he was basically head and shoulders above the rest of the so called 'premiership stars'.
In terms of effort he was probably one of few i actually felt sorry for when England went out to Portugal!

As for him playing for LFC,well no thanks for me!We all know we dont need anyone in the m/f and theres enough competition for a place already.Although in saying that if we needed a player there id be happy if he signed!
Im sure he has what it takes to play in the prem and he'd make a huge impact at a team like Boro though!
66-1120597113

Postby CardinalRed » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:54 pm

I like the lad but as TheGreedo said, we don't need to add in that area.... His press conference in Germany after he was slaughtered by the fans during the Paraguay game was good.... He was called a novelty by some numpty journo so he said, "I've won the Bundesliga 3 times, I've got 30 plus England caps and I've played the holding role in over 40 Champions League games.... My manager thinks I'm not bad.....! You tell 'em kid                                         :cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:42 am

I dissed him a bit over his role as "the must have Plan B player" for England under Ericsson but it was down to Ericsson's use of him in the team ratehr than his own personal fault and he was one of the few England players to have left the World Cup with his reputation intact after a good display for a 10-man England against Portugal.

He is better that most of us give him credit for and was noticed after 2 good performances in a CL knock-out tie for Bayern Munich against Manure in 2001 (I think) when they knocked the scum out and eventually went on to lift the CL throphy.

Having said that, we don't need another central midfield player because we already have enough quality and quality cover. Manure are desperate for more steele in central midfield but as Bayern Munich is a very well run club which is profitable with hardly any debts and with Hargreaves still having 4 years left in his contract, thery are hardly desperate. Furthermore, with Carrick being sold at that ludicrous price, Bayern would be holding out for a similar amount for Hargreaves, reportedly having turned down a 10 million or 14 million pounds bid (depends on which paper you read) from Manure. He'd be way too expensive anyway.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:18 am

He's a really good player. One that will make an impact wherever he goes.... I think ManUtd already agreed a deal to sign him ! He'll be huge for them...trust me...even bigger than carrick ! He's a good blend of workrate, teamwork and m/f creativity ! something between Sissoko and Zenden...wouldnt go as far as Alonso or Gerrard, but is great player to have in your midfield ! much as i hate to say it... if ManUtd do sign himmm all of a sudden, their midfield is not looking so shi.tte afterall !
As for Liverpool, i still think we need cover for Hamann. Not someone as good as Hargreaves, but someone decent ! i thought someone young and talented, yet cheap would be easier to find...apparently not... The way i saw it, Rafa was going to go after one of the defensive midfielders in the french league... some of them are simply fantastic and can be made available for small cash ! Thing is. i dont think Rafa is even looking to add in that departement, dont know why ! i think we should though.... Zenden imo is not cover for Sissoko, and will defi. struggle if we lose sissoko to injury....the whole team will !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:57 am

How do we need cover for Hamann?

Sissoko covers all the jobs Hamann did and some.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:39 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:How do we need cover for Hamann?

Sissoko covers all the jobs Hamann did and some.

mmmm .. whattt ?????
Hamann is a sub.... more like a SUPER SUB !
he can play whenever Sissoko is injured, whenever Alonso is injured ! he is a great sub in central midfield and let's face it.. Zenden isnt ! His attacking game is good.... his defensive one is below average....i dont see him coming in for Sissoko if we'r playing alonso and sissoko in midfield and sissoko is injured.... I mean... We do need cover for sissoko dont we... i dont see anyone in the squad that can do that... not even gerrard because playing him in Sissoko's position would limit his game , and alonso's too ! Would like to have someone like hamann who can play as a DM and a CM with good defensive qualities... someone who can pass the ball around in our half and can tackle and get the ball back when we lose possesion ! Zenden doesnt do that... Alonso doesnt either.... If we lose sissoko to a long term injury...we'll suffer massively in defense imo...thas why i think we need cover in that area !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:39 am

just noticed this should have been put in maybe international room :( , feel free to move this, mods

OWEN IS FERGIE'S FOR £17M
By David McDonnell

OWEN HARGREAVES is set to join Manchester United in a £17million deal within the next 48 hours.

Hargreaves is set for a switch to Old Trafford

The England midfielder has agreed personal terms with United and is expected to be confirmed as Sir Alex Ferguson's final summer signing this weekend.

United had hoped to land Hargreaves for £13m but Bayern Munich held out for the maximum price for their World Cup star.

Hargreaves had made it clear to Bayern that he had no intention of playing for them again once he learned of United's interest.

Hargreaves is seen as the ideal man to play the holding midfield role alongside £18.6m fellow summer signing Michael Carrick.

Ferguson believes Hargreaves, who impressed at Old Trafford in England's 4-0 win over Greece, can fill the central midfield void left by former United skipper Roy Keane.

United have numerous attacking options, but Ferguson is aware that their biggest need is for a midfield grafter who can win the ball and has the power to steam from box to box.

And that is why Ferguson is prepared to splash out such a huge sum on someone who at one stage was viewed as an England misfit.

Although Hargreaves is unlikely to be eligible to play against Fulham in United's Premiership opener against Fulham on Sunday, he is set to feature against Charlton at The Valley next Wednesday.

Bayern have insisted Hargreaves is not for sale but United are confident that the right offer, combined with the player's desire to join them, will see a deal done in the next 48 hours.

And despite Bayern's reluctance to sell, Hargreaves's agent Roman Grill said the German club would find it impossible to keep the midfielder now he had made it clear he wanted to leave.

"It is not a question of whether the club want to discuss a transfer," said Grill. "It is obvious that they need players like Owen and they don't want him to leave.

"But the player wants to tell the club how he sees his future.

"He will talk with the coach Felix Magath. Owen sees this as an excellent opportunity."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:43 am

:laugh: 17 million feckinell thats 35 million spent on two poor mans [insert name]

Sissoko priceless  :buttrock
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:33 am

anfieldadorer wrote:just noticed this should have been put in maybe international room :( , feel free to move this, mods

OWEN IS FERGIE'S FOR £17M
By David McDonnell

OWEN HARGREAVES is set to join Manchester United in a £17million deal within the next 48 hours.

Hargreaves is set for a switch to Old Trafford

The England midfielder has agreed personal terms with United and is expected to be confirmed as Sir Alex Ferguson's final summer signing this weekend.

United had hoped to land Hargreaves for £13m but Bayern Munich held out for the maximum price for their World Cup star.

Hargreaves had made it clear to Bayern that he had no intention of playing for them again once he learned of United's interest.

Hargreaves is seen as the ideal man to play the holding midfield role alongside £18.6m fellow summer signing Michael Carrick.

Ferguson believes Hargreaves, who impressed at Old Trafford in England's 4-0 win over Greece, can fill the central midfield void left by former United skipper Roy Keane.

United have numerous attacking options, but Ferguson is aware that their biggest need is for a midfield grafter who can win the ball and has the power to steam from box to box.

And that is why Ferguson is prepared to splash out such a huge sum on someone who at one stage was viewed as an England misfit.

Although Hargreaves is unlikely to be eligible to play against Fulham in United's Premiership opener against Fulham on Sunday, he is set to feature against Charlton at The Valley next Wednesday.

Bayern have insisted Hargreaves is not for sale but United are confident that the right offer, combined with the player's desire to join them, will see a deal done in the next 48 hours.

And despite Bayern's reluctance to sell, Hargreaves's agent Roman Grill said the German club would find it impossible to keep the midfielder now he had made it clear he wanted to leave.

"It is not a question of whether the club want to discuss a transfer," said Grill. "It is obvious that they need players like Owen and they don't want him to leave.

"But the player wants to tell the club how he sees his future.

"He will talk with the coach Felix Magath. Owen sees this as an excellent opportunity."

17mil  :laugh:  Oh some of these teams get ripped off so bad, we've bought like 6 first team players this summer for around the same amount they have payed for 2 average centre mids
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby aCe' » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:36 pm

if they do sign Hargreaves i think they'r midfield will be looking pretty solid.... esp. that they play 4-4-2 with two out and out winger ! will work to perfection imo ! hope it doesnt...hope they dont sign hargreaves in the first place....those mancs ... fckers... they always find a way dont they ! that ferguson ! grrrrrrr ! if they dont sign hi... they'r back to looking shaky and stoopid ! and their formward line is hi.tte now that vannistelrooy is out ! mmm... 3rd or 4th place imo ! not sure they can beat chelsea to second place !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coddy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:31 am

We dont want him, Xabi, Momo and Stevie is more than good enough
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge